Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

8,8 in position vs LAG

Old
8,8 in position vs LAG - Thu Dec 29, 2011, 12:15 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2011

The opp had been playing very loose and gambling a lot. Generally he had been raising with his premium hands and limp calling with his weak holdings. This hand opp limps utg and then 3bets to $1.11, its possible he could be doing this with A,A or K,K but unlikely considering the way he has been playing. He could also possibly be doing this with A,K or A,Q or even with rag ace so I decided to flat call in position to see the flop. From the over bet on the flop I can certainly eliminate A,Q (its possible but my instincts tell me not) so that leaves with either A,K or Ace rag and I felt he is trying to buy the pot. I did not want to flat call and let him catch up so I decided to value raise and put him allin.

Did I read the situation right and was this the right approach? Your comments would be appreciated as always.

Cheers.

Old
Thu Dec 29, 2011, 12:38 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
had you or the others yet to act after the opp been raising many hands? That would play into my thoughts here.

If you had, then I could see a premium hand going for a limp/3-bet with QQ+/AK.... would be just like a check/raise for them.

On the flop, the opp then leads out for 1.5 pot. Obviously, the flop didn't scare them or it's a total bluff. That line doesn't make much sense for 44 or 55 (they should limp/call preflop). It could be AQs, but AA/KK are definitely in their range too, along with total air.

AA/KK/AQ should want to make a value bet here, as they'd most likely have the best hand. Their overbet on the flop really doesn't make sense with their line either, as they should be betting less, wanting a call.

Calling the flop bet really isn't going to be doing you any good here, so you need to be shoving/folding on the flop and honestly, I think they're going to be trying to make a bet like that to try and buy the pot, so I like your shove.... and the hands that I'd be most worried about the opp turning JJ, 10's or 9's into a bluff (those 3 hands could fit their betting pattern and would be scared on the flop, which could explain the overbet).

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Dec 29, 2011, 03:25 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Shoving the flop is terrible. He's either bluffing or has you totally crushed here. He'll only call if you're beat, so if you think he's bluffing, calling down is your only option. Raising is terrible.

If you think his range consists mostly of bluffs, call. If he has mostly value hands fold.

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Dec 29, 2011, 07:30 AM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriholic View Post
Shoving the flop is terrible. He's either bluffing or has you totally crushed here. He'll only call if you're beat, so if you think he's bluffing, calling down is your only option. Raising is terrible.

If you think his range consists mostly of bluffs, call. If he has mostly value hands fold.
Thanks for your feedback guys. Firstly I don't think that his bet on the flop suggest that he has a value hand. Secondly aren't you suppose to get it in when you have (or at least you think) the best hand and I really did think on the flop that I had the best hand. At the same time a pair of 8's on that flop is not a monster that I can afford to just call in that spot and let the opp catch up. The thought behind the raise was to achieve two things, I would be happy to win the pot there n then by getting him to fold. If he calls (which was most likely as by this point he had put more than half his stack in the pot) to outdraw than at least I have charged him the max. to do so. Here is the result of the hand:

Ok he didn't have A,K or Ace rag in that spot as per my read but its same neighbour hood. Any comments??

Last edited by deadeyz; Thu Dec 29, 2011 at 07:33 AM.. Reason: request evaluation

Old
Thu Dec 29, 2011, 11:02 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I'd be making a note on them and adding to a 'buddy' list. get that player at your table as much as possible.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com