Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

what is the best move?-$8.8R

Old
Default
what is the best move?-$8.8R - Thu Dec 29, 2011, 12:06 PM
(#1)
marvinsytan's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,453
I have no idea on what my plan is before I made the raise

I should have push all in or a raise is ok considering the BB would like to see the flop because of his stacks?

should I push postflop

i waited for the turn to see if he have something

he check so i shove

i don't want to cbet because of my stack size if i cbet then got 3bet i can't call because i hit nothing

if he bet i might fold

i have no idea about this player that's why i think i need HUD already because I always got transfered then i got no idea on my opp

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner
 
Old
Default
Thu Dec 29, 2011, 01:03 PM
(#2)
PanickyPoker's Avatar
Since: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,168
A HUD won't tell you anything about the players at your table that you haven't already observed yourself. So when you get transferred, you'll need to wait a few hands before you get information from the HUD.

I like your preflop raise, and I think raising all-in would have been too much. What you want to do is try and get all-in now, because I think your hand is often going to be way ahead of the villain's all-in range. If you raise all-in, it's +EV, but if you raise smaller, you might induce a steal which means you'd be weakening his range to make your EV even bigger. I think you picked a good amount, although I think a bigger bet would have been better (t725-t850).

On the flop, there's no reason not to c-bet. I don't like checking, because he'll rarely have a hand here, and checking gives up the initiative. You have to fold if he bets the flop, which he will do with his air very frequently.

On the turn, you definitely need to bet because you checked the flop. If you get action, just throw the hand away unless you get a good river card.
 
Old
Default
Thu Dec 29, 2011, 01:26 PM
(#3)
JWK24's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 24,833
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
you want to treat this basically as a heads-up situation.
Watch this video from Andre, as it'll help with how to play it. http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...0-2011#content

You want to raise to 3BB in a blind vs blind situation, then you want to follow it up with a c-bet on the flop (whether you hit or miss). Waiting and then shoving the turn just lets the opp get a card that can hit them for free... which you don't want to do without a made hand. If you're not willing to c-bet any flop... then fold preflop.

If I was the opp and you checked the flop, I'm shoving with ATC... because it says that you missed and can't call.


Super-Moderator



6 Time Bracelet Winner


 
Old
Default
Thu Dec 29, 2011, 01:36 PM
(#4)
marvinsytan's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanickyPoker View Post
A HUD won't tell you anything about the players at your table that you haven't already observed yourself. So when you get transferred, you'll need to wait a few hands before you get information from the HUD.

I like your preflop raise, and I think raising all-in would have been too much. What you want to do is try and get all-in now, because I think your hand is often going to be way ahead of the villain's all-in range. If you raise all-in, it's +EV, but if you raise smaller, you might induce a steal which means you'd be weakening his range to make your EV even bigger. I think you picked a good amount, although I think a bigger bet would have been better (t725-t850).

On the flop, there's no reason not to c-bet. I don't like checking, because he'll rarely have a hand here, and checking gives up the initiative. You have to fold if he bets the flop, which he will do with his air very frequently.

On the turn, you definitely need to bet because you checked the flop. If you get action, just throw the hand away unless you get a good river card.
tnx panicky

by the way you want to be stake

go to staking thread i nominate you are interested
 
Old
Default
Thu Dec 29, 2011, 01:42 PM
(#5)
marvinsytan's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
you want to treat this basically as a heads-up situation.
Watch this video from Andre, as it'll help with how to play it. http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...0-2011#content

You want to raise to 3BB in a blind vs blind situation, then you want to follow it up with a c-bet on the flop (whether you hit or miss). Waiting and then shoving the turn just lets the opp get a card that can hit them for free... which you don't want to do without a made hand. If you're not willing to c-bet any flop... then fold preflop.

If I was the opp and you checked the flop, I'm shoving with ATC... because it says that you missed and can't call.

tnx fo the analysis, I'm also wondering myself why i didn't cbet maybe because I'm not yet ready to play a game when I'm playing this. Not in my poker mindset yet

yes this is a por play by me.

lessons learned

tnx for the link watching it now
 
Old
Default
Thu Dec 29, 2011, 02:34 PM
(#6)
whu1895's Avatar
Since: Apr 2011
Posts: 110
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
you want to treat this basically as a heads-up situation.
Watch this video from Andre, as it'll help with how to play it. http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...0-2011#content

You want to raise to 3BB in a blind vs blind situation, then you want to follow it up with a c-bet on the flop (whether you hit or miss). Waiting and then shoving the turn just lets the opp get a card that can hit them for free... which you don't want to do without a made hand. If you're not willing to c-bet any flop... then fold preflop.

If I was the opp and you checked the flop, I'm shoving with ATC... because it says that you missed and can't call.
+1000
 
Old
Default
Thu Dec 29, 2011, 04:11 PM
(#7)
19honu62's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,770
There is only one move here and that is to get all your chips in. The blinds are 400/200 when you calculate in the ante's ( and you must figure them in because every cycle you lose 1 bb). Since we have less than 10 effective BB's I have no issue with your raise.......... as long as you are never folding! If you put any chips in here and fold it is pure spew!
If he would have bet that flop are you folding?

 
Old
Default
Thu Dec 29, 2011, 10:15 PM
(#8)
Keldraco's Avatar
Since: Jul 2011
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19honu62 View Post
There is only one move here and that is to get all your chips in. The blinds are 400/200 when you calculate in the ante's ( and you must figure them in because every cycle you lose 1 bb). Since we have less than 10 effective BB's I have no issue with your raise.......... as long as you are never folding! If you put any chips in here and fold it is pure spew!
If he would have bet that flop are you folding?


So we can actually see the situation as a 400/200? I never thought of that before. then in this spot it an auto shove. How about "standard raise pre-flop and cbet fold to raise with 10BB left" option? not anymore with the ante kicking in?

Last edited by Keldraco; Thu Dec 29, 2011 at 10:36 PM..
 
Old
Default
Thu Dec 29, 2011, 11:45 PM
(#9)
oriholic's Avatar
Since: Oct 2010
Posts: 751
BronzeStar
Honestly just shoving pre blind vs. blind is probably best. You have a strong hand but it's going to be a pain to play out of position. Raise/get it in is an option too, particularly if the BB is aggressive and likely to reshove on ya. But against most players, shoving is probably best (and unexploitable which is cool)

On the flop I like checking with the intent to check/raise. I think it's better than c-bet/calling as it's less likely you'll have to call a shove and more likely you can shove yourself. Since putting money in and folding on your stack size sucks, I'd rather get the money in by shoving so at least you have some fold equity.


4 Time Bracelet Winner


 
Old
Default
Fri Dec 30, 2011, 07:31 PM
(#10)
marvinsytan's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19honu62 View Post
There is only one move here and that is to get all your chips in. The blinds are 400/200 when you calculate in the ante's ( and you must figure them in because every cycle you lose 1 bb). Since we have less than 10 effective BB's I have no issue with your raise.......... as long as you are never folding! If you put any chips in here and fold it is pure spew!
If he would have bet that flop are you folding?

i might fold if he bet the flop

that's what im looking for if he bet i fold if he check i shove

should have just go all in PRE and pray the easiest way to go
 
Old
Default
Fri Dec 30, 2011, 07:33 PM
(#11)
marvinsytan's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriholic View Post
Honestly just shoving pre blind vs. blind is probably best. You have a strong hand but it's going to be a pain to play out of position. Raise/get it in is an option too, particularly if the BB is aggressive and likely to reshove on ya. But against most players, shoving is probably best (and unexploitable which is cool)

On the flop I like checking with the intent to check/raise. I think it's better than c-bet/calling as it's less likely you'll have to call a shove and more likely you can shove yourself. Since putting money in and folding on your stack size sucks, I'd rather get the money in by shoving so at least you have some fold equity.

next time i'll just shove PRE and save myself from this kind of situation
 

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com