Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Support Center /

PokerStars - Contributed Rake - January 2012

Old
PokerStars - Contributed Rake - January 2012 - Thu Dec 29, 2011, 08:15 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
Starting in January, PokerStars will be awarding VPP's based on a player's contribution to the rake. Earning our VPP's for the 20+ or 150+ levels will require entering more pots, playing more games, and in general being much more aggressive. All the strategies we've been sharing about how to quickly earn the VPP's with a tiny bankroll are now out the window.

Does anyone have a strategy to deal with this new, contributed rake, system? Any help would be appreciated.

Old
Thu Dec 29, 2011, 08:31 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
open up

Old
Thu Dec 29, 2011, 08:33 PM
(#3)
Deleted user
I plan to sit out at as many tables as possible. Thats my strategy..OccupyPokerstars

Old
Thu Dec 29, 2011, 09:33 PM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
Horrible change as far as I'm concerned.

It would be a big mistake to change your playing style merely to accumulate more VPP's. If you're a TAG you're just gonna have to accept the fact that they're gonna take longer to come by (in cash games) in future.

Old
Thu Dec 29, 2011, 09:47 PM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2011
where can i get more information on this change?

Old
Thu Dec 29, 2011, 09:48 PM
(#6)
Since: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keldraco View Post
where can i get more information on this change?
Here ya go Keldraco.....

VPP changes from January 2012

Once again my friends, Pokerstars continually kick themselves in the arse!

What a wonderful marketing team they have.

Let the small-stakes grinder exodus begin....

.......or is that the reactionary intention that they want????

EDIT:

p.s. Is this subject in the right area by the way?

Last edited by zZ.Ma$kin.Zz; Thu Dec 29, 2011 at 09:57 PM..

Old
Thu Dec 29, 2011, 10:03 PM
(#7)
Since: Jul 2010
a drunk guys view on this....hiccup

very bad move imo,

stars will see a lower # of players now on the cash tables, which l would think they forgot about that when making this change, l'm not sure how many really,but l think there is a good % playing just for the vpp's,

it looks like there trying to make players all aggressive, just look at there trubo promo they got going, aggressive players playing cash tables and trubo mtt's makes more cash for them,

l just think they didn't think about the rest, imo #'s say it all, when there overall number decrease's they will make the correct bussiness moves, being looking at all the different type of players that are here, not just the agressers.....hiccup

just my 2 cents....

cheers

Old
Thu Dec 29, 2011, 10:04 PM
(#8)
Since: Sep 2010
Not sure if this is the right forum for this topic. If not, maybe one of the mods will move it for us.

I agree with Dman, Ma$kin, and effsea - this is a bad move. Contributed Rake rewards loose-aggressive play and penalizes TAG play. Now, if players want to earn VPP's, they will have to open up, put more money into the pot and build the rake. More money for PokerStars - stinks of GREED to me.

This may impact the PSO leagues as TAG players may simply quit, rather than try and earn their VPP's.

A sorry day for the PokerSchool.

Last edited by Herkstwin; Thu Dec 29, 2011 at 10:14 PM..

Old
Thu Dec 29, 2011, 10:15 PM
(#9)
Deleted user
lol..I was just kicking myself for spelling business as bussiness!Funny to read some one else doing it.

It equates to the higher limit players playing with such slight edges and now they will get less FPPs,which in turn makes a 30% drop in what they make in a year. This in turn makes it less likely players will stay loyal to Stars as it is no longer profitable to the same extent and other sites offer better rakeback deals.
This will slowly effect the lower limits as the higher limits dry up.
Why strive to move up when there is nothing to move up to?

I already see a certain pokersite making a power move and Stars timing is going to be very unfortunate for the site as a whole. If FTP ever gets up and running they will lose those players that came to stars because of the rake change they made. Those players prefer the FTP software so its bad news all around.

Old
Thu Dec 29, 2011, 10:18 PM
(#10)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
stars is dead

Old
Thu Dec 29, 2011, 10:25 PM
(#11)
Since: Jun 2010
** Moved **

Old
Thu Dec 29, 2011, 10:33 PM
(#12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roomik17 View Post
stars is dead

lol,,,l'm drinking, hope you are......hiccup

and tazz l mean cookies, thx for the spelling lession

cheers

Old
Thu Dec 29, 2011, 10:36 PM
(#13)
I only ever really considered VPPs as a route to the higher potential prizes on PSO Skill Leagues - and so far I found it easy to move up from 20+VPPs to 150+VPPs for the bigger Premier League prizes.

During the Megamonth promos I managed to get 750+VPPs, and got great value from that promo.

I think now it might be a real struggle to get the 150VPPs per month under the new system, especially for a lot of newer 'learners' of the game at PSO, so maybe the leagues should adjust accordingly.

On the other hand, I always felt it was a bit of a fix for me to be earning loads of VPPs folding away at the PLO8 tables, playing super tight and picking up a lot of VPPs from other peoples investments in hands.

So I'm not sure how I view this.

Like most things in the online poker world, I take it as I find it, try to work out how to handle it and exploit it, and keep on keeping on because I enjoy it and it has been profitable.

So far as I can see this is done and dusted and you have to live with it or just get out of the game.

Good luck all.

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Old
Thu Dec 29, 2011, 10:40 PM
(#14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by effsea View Post

very bad move imo,

stars will see a lower # of players now on the cash tables, which l would think they forgot about that when making this change, l'm not sure how many really,but l think there is a good % playing just for the vpp's,

it looks like there trying to make players all aggressive, just look at there trubo promo they got going, aggressive players playing cash tables and trubo mtt's makes more cash for them,

l just think they didn't think about the rest, imo #'s say it all, when there overall number decrease's they will make the correct bussiness moves, being looking at all the different type of players that are here, not just the agressers.....hiccup

just my 2 cents....

cheers
It's Pokerstars that have turned you to the dreaded devils blood! Consult your lawyer/s (double/triple vision side effect) & sue them for......errrr.......a bankroll top-up??

Seriously though, your the first inebriated person I've come across that makes poignant observations without hardly any spelling mistakes!!

Spot on.....nice one Effsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herkstwin View Post
Not sure if this is the right forum for this topic. If not, maybe one of the mods will move it for us.

I agree with Dman, Ma$kin, and effsea - this is a bad move. Contributed Rake rewards loose-aggressive play and penalizes TAG play. Now, if players want to earn VPP's, they will have to open up, put more money into the pot and build the rake. More money for PokerStars - stinks of GREED to me.

This may impact the PSO leagues as TAG players may simply quit, rather than try and earn their VPP's.

A sorry day for the PokerSchool.
Spot on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted user View Post
lol..I was just kicking myself for spelling business as bussiness!Funny to read some one else doing it.

It equates to the higher limit players playing with such slight edges and now they will get less FPPs,which in turn makes a 30% drop in what they make in a year. This in turn makes it less likely players will stay loyal to Stars as it is no longer profitable to the same extent and other sites offer better rakeback deals.
This will slowly effect the lower limits as the higher limits dry up.
Why strive to move up when there is nothing to move up to?

I already see a certain pokersite making a power move and Stars timing is going to be very unfortunate for the site as a whole. If FTP ever gets up and running they will lose those players that came to stars because of the rake change they made. Those players prefer the FTP software so its bad news all around.
Totally agree with this

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomik17 View Post
stars is dead
It could be ponzible?? (Hey....if it's good enough for FT.....why not?)

Hint: Check out who actually owns PS. Then trace his co-horts. Do your own research. Enuff said.

p.s. Of course, this is just my alleged conspiracy theory

Old
Fri Dec 30, 2011, 12:11 AM
(#15)
I get most of my Vpp's or is it Fpp's from S n G's.

Does the amount change for them?

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Dec 30, 2011, 12:47 AM
(#16)
Since: Apr 2011
Read the announcement and not that impressed with the Idea but I play mostly MTT's so it doesn't affect me much..... after three months and losing 20k + players + I see it changing again. The PSO will take a much bigger hit and wouldn't be surprised if you lose 40% or more of your participants as it requires too much time to up VPPs and still play enough league to shoot for the top....just my view.
Happy New Year to all..... r0ck

Old
Fri Dec 30, 2011, 02:48 AM
(#17)
i have a solution dont play cash games

Old
Fri Dec 30, 2011, 03:14 AM
(#18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by effsea View Post

very bad move imo,

just my 2 cents....

cheers
I know I will personally move over to sng's and probably play less. Not sure about any1 else though....

Old
Fri Dec 30, 2011, 09:03 AM
(#19)
Since: Dec 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman61 View Post
Horrible change as far as I'm concerned.

It would be a big mistake to change your playing style merely to accumulate more VPP's. If you're a TAG you're just gonna have to accept the fact that they're gonna take longer to come by (in cash games) in future.
( Good to see you back, btw)

I think you are making a good point here. At the level I am playing (.05/.10 LHE), I don't think it will make much difference other than taking longer to accumulate points.

It' so laggy and spewy down here anyway. What are the bad lags gonna add to their hand selection to make it worse?

If the change 'creates' more bad lags (I have yet to see a good lag at this level), then isn't that an advantage to the tag player? Sure there might be more bullets to dodge, but isn't it possible that the larger pots created might make it worthwhile to play a tag game? I'll have to wait and see.

In any case, chasing VPP's is probably not a good reason to make any sudden changes in your playing style and would very likely cause a dent in your bankroll.

Old
Fri Dec 30, 2011, 09:15 AM
(#20)
Are you playing poker to receive points or rakeback or to make money! Are you choosing your games based on VPP's earned? Although you may not favour these changes for whatever reason the way you play is what adds to your bottom line! There are a huge amount of training videos available and yes some do require you to have as many as 150+ vpp's to watch but they will help you develop a game that builds your bankroll!

1 year ago I had $26 and worked my way up by a good solid ABC poker style and now I have $xxxx in my bankroll and am a live trainer for Pokerschoolonline. I can't eat VPP/FPP's but I sure can withdraw the monies I've won by using the training videos and paying attention to the PSO forum and talking with my fellow members to improve my game!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com