Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

AA UTG- limp again so hard headed

Old
AA UTG- limp again so hard headed - Fri Dec 30, 2011, 04:59 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
why?

i know the opp in the BB, he's a good player and I saw him every time someone limps he will surely
3bet with any hands as long as he will have something postflop like connectors and suited.

so ok fine I'll try it again and hope it works

and leave a message on the chat please just let me see the flop

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Panicky was right- don't be result oriented, if you have reason to believe you need to do a play you think was the best move and it didn't work. at least you tried. you need to fail first before you succeed

if my move failed again i will limp my aces but it worked so i might as well try it again if there's an opportunity

Old
Fri Dec 30, 2011, 05:15 PM
(#2)
BronzeStar
Again, this is a big risk to limp AA oop.

The only justification for it is if you feel by using deception you will get value you might otherwise not get. You are essentially defering your current profit potential by limping, in hopes that doing so will result in GREATER profit later in the hand.

As stated in the other AA limp hand you had, to make a highly exploitative play like this you require info that the play you are trying will tend to work BETTER than a more standard line. Based on the info you provide here, this seems to be a much better spot for you to make the limp with AA.

Nice chip up.

Hope it helps.

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Dec 30, 2011, 05:50 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Limping AA is a recipe for disaster. You got extremely lucky here.

Limping preflop with them is basically saying to your opponent... here are 3 free cards to outdraw me with. Anytime you are ahead in a hand, especially with a premium one, you need to make any opp pay to draw at you. Those suited and connecting cards are exactly what you do not want drawing at you for free. You got lucky and the opp raised, which won't happen all the time.
When you limp with aces, you're going to be losing big pots much more often than you should.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Dec 30, 2011, 06:34 PM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Limping AA is a recipe for disaster. You got extremely lucky here.

Limping preflop with them is basically saying to your opponent... here are 3 free cards to outdraw me with. Anytime you are ahead in a hand, especially with a premium one, you need to make any opp pay to draw at you. Those suited and connecting cards are exactly what you do not want drawing at you for free. You got lucky and the opp raised, which won't happen all the time.
When you limp with aces, you're going to be losing big pots much more often than you should.

follow up question:

even when i got read on my opp in the BB that he might raise because he's a good player and he always outplay his opp postflop

plus the fact that I haven't move yet. The only time i move is when he raise the limper to isolate and wants to outplay the limper again and I tried to 3bet him because i know he's raising light only to got called by the limper and him. i flop set and bet all the way and he folds on the river.

even when i have reason to do it.

do i really need to raise everytime?

just want to know so that next time i will scrap this kind of dangerous play.

just keep raising AA

Old
Fri Dec 30, 2011, 06:53 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
You will never, ever see me limp with QQ+, regardless of reads.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Dec 30, 2011, 07:26 PM
(#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
You will never, ever see me limp with QQ+, regardless of reads.
noted

Old
Sat Dec 31, 2011, 01:22 AM
(#7)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Provided there are other things in your range when you limp UTG, limping in a situation like this is fine. If all you have are big hands that are going to limp/get it in, this is highly exploitable.

I like how you played this hand other than that weird 3-bet to double his raise. I think a shove or call would be much better. Remember if he's raising a wide range here he probably does not have a lot of strong hands he can 4-bet you with (probably not seeing him 4-bet light against a UTG limp/mini-3-bet). If he's strong here he's probably just as likely to call a shove as he is to mess around against this mini-raise. If he's bluffy, calling and allowing him to bluff off his stack postflop may be better.

I like his idea postflop. This flop misses most of your range, so a check/raise on this board should work a high percentage of the time (since you're c-betting it a ton, particularly with your air). But the stacks simply aren't deep enough for him to have the fold equity here. I think open-shoving the flop as a go-and-go is a better play since he has a potsize bet remaining, and a check/raise is likely to lay you crazy good odds like 4 or 5 to 1 which you just can't ever fold. Plus checking opens himself up to possibly having to call a shove (or fold to one after putting in a third of his stack--yuck)

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com