Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

that's why limping AA-utg is bad-$3.5R180 man

Old
that's why limping AA-utg is bad-$3.5R180 man - Fri Dec 30, 2011, 05:59 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

C/R to make QQ or even AK to fold if called still have a chance to win and become the chip leader

got called

im the new chip leader

hopefully i can take this down

as of this writing im down to 20BB

Old
Fri Dec 30, 2011, 06:08 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
preflop: see the flop for free... exactly what you want to get with a medium hand with potential

flop: you get a flush draw on a paired board... very scary. Like the check to the limper but absolutely hate the shove. There is basically no way you currently have the best hand and even if you hit the flush, any opp with a 9 or pkt pair has outs on you.
Flat their bet and re-evaluate on the turn.
At this point, you have 40% equity against their exact hand and over 40% of the chips in the pot are yours... which means it's a -EV play for you. Way too LAGGY to be putting your tourney life on the line without the best hand (or even the odds to hit your draw). Wait until you're ahead, then shove.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Dec 30, 2011, 06:25 PM
(#3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
preflop: see the flop for free... exactly what you want to get with a medium hand with potential

flop: you get a flush draw on a paired board... very scary. Like the check to the limper but absolutely hate the shove. There is basically no way you currently have the best hand and even if you hit the flush, any opp with a 9 or pkt pair has outs on you.
Flat their bet and re-evaluate on the turn.
At this point, you have 40% equity against their exact hand and over 40% of the chips in the pot are yours... which means it's a -EV play for you. Way too LAGGY to be putting your tourney life on the line without the best hand (or even the odds to hit your draw). Wait until you're ahead, then shove.
where can i study all the math

maybe that's my other leak i don't about the math

i just know the simple math but the complex math i know nothing

Old
Fri Dec 30, 2011, 06:38 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
www.pokerstove.com is where I'm getting the numbers from.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Dec 30, 2011, 07:02 PM
(#5)
Quote:
www.pokerstove.com is where I'm getting the numbers from.
i really need to practice using this one

tnx

Old
Fri Dec 30, 2011, 11:30 PM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
I'd lead the flop and be happy to get it in with my mega draw most of the time. Since there is no preflop raiser I don't really like checking, hoping for a c-bet. You have so much equity against anything but KK/K9. Q9 and QQ do block your gutshot outs, but against them most of your flush outs are still live.

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Dec 30, 2011, 11:48 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Quote:
At this point, you have 40% equity against their exact hand
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinsytan View Post
i just know the simple math but the complex math
Oh that's interesting - usually the 4 to a straight flush is ahead of any pair, even an overpair (equity wise) ... I guess the pair on the board tilts things in favor of the AA, eh? I didn't know that either

During my downswing I got into so many situations with flushes and flush draws being compromised by paired boards - people already had boats and quads and I was drawing dead. Or else I had the flush and they wound up making a boat or a quad. Or else I had a flush draw and while they had two pair, then I made the flush, then they made the boat or the quad. Stuff like that.

I guess either way though 60/40 or 40/60 it's still pretty close ... I guess there's two schools of thought on how to play hands that are close like that, eh? Like either pot control or put it all in the middle with these 'wet' or 'draw heavy' or 'action' boards? (JWK prefers the first, oriholic's a fan of the second).

I'm still experimenting with different stuff ...

Last edited by TrustySam; Fri Dec 30, 2011 at 11:52 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com