Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

How should I play AQo in this situation?

Old
How should I play AQo in this situation? - Fri Dec 30, 2011, 10:16 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi Guys,

Another hand in a 25c ($100 added) tournament. Looking back I had a few border line hands in this tournament. I was ready to call the short stack push but the bigger stack calling complicated things. I felt I was too strong to fold and too deep stacked to re-raise all in so I called. Not sure calling out of position is great either. Should I lead out on the flop?

I actually threw away the best hand

Thanks

Old
Fri Dec 30, 2011, 10:19 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
how was the bigger stack been playing?

Old
Fri Dec 30, 2011, 10:25 PM
(#3)
I remember him being in a lot of hands. Looking at the stats I have on him now 45/12 (90 hands)

Old
Fri Dec 30, 2011, 11:06 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
that's a sticky situation. You've got a decent hand with potential, but have a shove and a call in front of you and to top it off, you're out of position.

AQ plays much better against one opp than two and due to that, I'm mucking it here preflop. It wasn't the case here, but most often, you may be ahead of one opp, but normally not both (one will have AK or a pocket pair).

11k is a stack that can get you deep into this, so I'm not risking it here, out of position in a 3-way pot with AQ.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Dec 31, 2011, 12:04 AM
(#5)
Thanks JWK

That makes sense, folding pre-flop does look like the best of a bad set of options. Would betting the flop have been an option after I called pre-flop? I'd commited a large number of chips and the flop didn't help Ax, broadway or most paired hands. I might have been able to get them to fold out or at least i then know that I'm probably behind and it's time to give up.

Old
Sat Dec 31, 2011, 12:19 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
You could bet the flop, but it really looks like this opp is a calling station, that won't fold to a flop bet and with them being a station, they could have easily hit a part of the board. If that's the case, you really won't gain much info from betting the flop, other than that you now in the same situation, but deeper into the pot, on the turn.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com