Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

wr2

Old
wr2 - Sat Dec 31, 2011, 04:16 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2011
BronzeStar
gonna play the wr2 today any 1 any advice on this as im not doin well in tournys so far ,cheers

Old
Sat Dec 31, 2011, 05:56 AM
(#2)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by whu1895 View Post
gonna play the wr2 today any 1 any advice on this as im not doin well in tournys so far ,cheers
2nd time ive asked for help , nothin ,nanty ,nout ,cmon guys n gals im struglin ere ,ie the bigger the tourny the worse i play ,can,t get my head out of 90 man sng , so i ply tag should i keep this tatic for tournys ,or go a wee bit wilder ,any help at all a this point is more than welcome

Old
Sat Dec 31, 2011, 07:18 AM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2007
Hi Whu,

The question you have asked is so broad and wide ranging that it is very difficult to answer and it demonstrates a worrying trend that a lot of players display: give me some guidelines to follow and that is a recipe for success.

It simply does not work like that. Off course poker is a situational game but there is never a one suit fits all solution and what you have to learn and develop are situational judgement skills. No one here can teach you that, you have to learn it for yourself, you have to think for yourself! All the really good poker players make decisions on the spot.

All I can suggest for the game today are some hints:

Be patient, don't play too many marginal hands, identify and classify the style of each opponent at the table, take advantage and exploit these styles (remember too that the really good players will change and adapt their style according to the table dynamic), be disciplined, be prepared to fold big hands when beat. Try and maintain an average or better bankroll in the first hour but don't play stupid hands just because your bankroll is not growing. At some point you will have to take risks, especially if you get close to 10BB, your judgement and table image as well as some luck will dictate, whether you will get further and you will need to win some races to build your stack.

As the tournament progresses your observation and judgement skills become even more important. If you are still in at this stage your first goal is to get to the money, unlike an SnG however I do not favour surviving to the bubble, I personally want to accumulate chips to make a final table run if I am in that situation. I am willing to forgo a small cash to make a bigger cash but that is just my opinion. If you get to the final table it should not play much different than a normal SnG but what do I know since I have never got to one outside of freerolls, but then again this is a freeroll as well.

I do not know if you followed my earlier advice on going through the course but I will post it up and hope that you go through it before the tourney starts.

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...d-Middle-Phase

Remember even if you do everything right, you can still lose, you need to win a lot of races and you need a bit of luck.

So the best of luck to you.

Cheers,

TC

Last edited by topthecat; Sat Dec 31, 2011 at 07:20 AM..

Old
Sat Dec 31, 2011, 07:43 AM
(#4)
BronzeStar
ty tc my table image is gonna b tag ive decided that way ,erm done the courses apart from cash 1 ie i totally suck at cash games lol ,not gonna go nuts ,i can fold big hands when i feel its just 2 risky , so ill basicaly stick 2 the basis ,n a bonus is theres a few folk in the wr2 ive already got notes . thnx again ,3 o clock british time if u want a laff guys ,watch n c the crazy monkey all the best ,bye for noo

Old
Sat Dec 31, 2011, 09:36 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
With 7000+ entrants and 15 minute blind levels, patience is your best asset. Wait for good hands, good situations and opponents mistakes to make a move. This will get you into the money if you get any kind of decent cards. Making the final table is tougher. You have to take more risks, hope your opponents make ther mistakes in the big pots, and generally play a higher level of poker.

Old
Sat Dec 31, 2011, 09:46 AM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxing View Post
With 7000+ entrants and 15 minute blind levels, patience is your best asset. Wait for good hands, good situations and opponents mistakes to make a move. This will get you into the money if you get any kind of decent cards. Making the final table is tougher. You have to take more risks, hope your opponents make ther mistakes in the big pots, and generally play a higher level of poker.
so i basically play it hubbles oh god help me ty gl all the best

Old
Sat Dec 31, 2011, 10:12 AM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Quote:
so i basically play it hubbles oh god help me ty gl all the best
tourny starts 10 min laterhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa a

Old
Sat Dec 31, 2011, 10:22 AM
(#8)
BronzeStar
Quote:
tourny starts 10 min laterhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa a
rite kq d on button 1 limp i raise 3 bb sb fold bb fold , flop aj10 rainbow ,i fire ,he goes all in , he a q ,turn q river ace , now did i play that wrong or was it un lucky again

Old
Sat Dec 31, 2011, 10:53 AM
(#9)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
play these similar to how you'd play a PSO league game. Don't take chances. When you get a premium hand, let someone double you... when you get something marginal, muck it.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Dec 31, 2011, 10:56 AM
(#10)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
rite kq d on button 1 limp i raise 3 bb sb fold bb fold , flop aj10 rainbow ,i fire ,he goes all in , he a q ,turn q river ace , now did i play that wrong or was it un lucky again
can't say. what were the stack sizes, blinds, reads, etc... will need this info to give you a correct answer one way or the other.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Dec 31, 2011, 10:58 AM
(#11)
Since: Nov 2007
I would say questionable hand selection played it's part here, if there was a raise I am mucking KQx even on the button.

Nothing wrong with the post flop play though, but runner runner does happen!

Cheers,

TC

Old
Sat Dec 31, 2011, 11:26 AM
(#12)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by topthecat View Post
I would say questionable hand selection played it's part here, if there was a raise I am mucking KQx even on the button.

Nothing wrong with the post flop play though, but runner runner does happen!

Cheers,

TC
ty tc i think thata wats wrong wi my play style some times , cant get rid of the gambler in me oh well coupl of tickets left so maybe next month ,all the best

Old
Sat Dec 31, 2011, 11:35 AM
(#13)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
can't say. what were the stack sizes, blinds, reads, etc... will need this info to give you a correct answer one way or the other.
early evry 1 1780 to 2200 , but the guy wi aq limped , thot ,ok kq d worth a raise ,nail flop ,fire , then i get shoved ,i mean am i really foldin that , i say no but look where that got me , thats y im sayin its the limpers that r killin me rite now , ive always said that first in to a pot u raise isolate a hand them tear them 2 bits ,but a limper 2 call then shove my bet is gl all

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com