Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

45 man $0.25 SnG

Old
Lightbulb
45 man $0.25 SnG - Sat Dec 31, 2011, 10:43 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2007
I tried a couple of these today with no joy and feel I did nothing wrong in this hand but stand to be corrected!

333 Tess had been quiet for the first orbit or so but then started shoving BW and small pocket pairs to any raise and had paid the price.

I had played no hands only my big blinds so my image must have been very tight for anyone watching.

tam4ik was multi tabling and had been involved in three hands where he had shoved with A rag and had sucked out against AK two hands before to stay in the tourney and double up. He played exactly the same way at two other tables I had been involved at

So we are down to about 30 players and I wake up with Qs in mid late postion and make a standard 3X raise. 333Tess shoves and tam4ik raises all in. I feel folding here would be a major leak given my reads, I have Tess on a pck pair and tam4ik on AX.

Should I have folded here?

Happy New Year everyone and see you all in the New Year,

Cheers,

TC

Old
Sat Dec 31, 2011, 11:07 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
If your reads are correct here, you have just under 50% equity. If their ranges are a bit wider, it's even more. To call, you need to put 55% into the pot.
Due to this, if your range is perfect, it's a -5% EV play to call..... however, if they're playing a bit wider than that, it'll be about even EV.

In these tourneys, at least the ones I've played in and watched, the opps will be a bit wider than this range (where reads come in to play) and if that's the case at all, I don't have a problem calling here. If you win this pot, you only need to win one more decent sized pot the rest of the way, to get ITM.

I think it's worth the risk and am calling, hoping they both have Ax... to lower their outs against me.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Dec 31, 2011, 01:58 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
You're getting almost 2 to 1 against two very wide shove ranges with QQ. Yes this is an insta-call. You will probably scoop this around 50% of the time or even more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
If your reads are correct here, you have just under 50% equity. If their ranges are a bit wider, it's even more. To call, you need to put 55% into the pot.
This is impossible. You can never be putting more than 50% into the pot.

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Dec 31, 2011, 03:36 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2010
Would have done the same but with more flair, Seriously I hate pkt QQ unless its Heads Up, from my experience QQ against 2 players or more spells early bath. Hope your going easy on the Eggnog Tony, have a great new year and hope to speak soon, all the very best to you and your family. Gate

Old
Sat Dec 31, 2011, 04:33 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
[QUOTE=oriholic;322228
This is impossible. You can never be putting more than 50% into the pot.[/QUOTE]

oops. I forgot to add the 1335 into the pot. correct number should be 36% you put in. Sorry about that... been looking at too many year end numbers today.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Dec 31, 2011, 10:05 PM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2010
For me QQ is just on the border line of my shove range. It depends on my ranging, but most times I'm shoving it.

Old
Sat Dec 31, 2011, 10:20 PM
(#7)
Since: Feb 2010
From your reads of 333tess I think you were always calling them heads up against their range, which means you were willing to commit over half your stack.

The shove looks like a strong hand trying to isolate 333tess, so I expect a decent hand but rarely AA or KK. The shove stack is so close to yours it makes the pot you can win so large I think it has to be a good call with your reads on both opps.

AK is probably the top of a widish range for the shove to isolate - from what you say they are doing that with smaller pairs than yours and smaller aces than they have here. I'm not sure how much of their range you are ahead of but I would think it is well over 50% (TT/JJ/AT-AK - only AA & KK to really worry about).

I like the call - you need chips and this is as good an opportunity to play a big pot with a premium hand as you are likely to get. I would go for this unless I really thought the shove was only AA/KK.

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Old
Sun Jan 01, 2012, 07:48 AM
(#8)
Since: Nov 2007
Thanks for all the advice and feedback guys and you too Joy!

And Happy New Year to your and your family Rob and everyone else on PSO.

Lets say I had quite a few yesterday but remained reasonably sober, and you just hit on my New year's resolution no.2; cut down on the old egg nog!

Cheers,

TC

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com