Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Off-Topic Discussions /

Bowl Games

Old
Bowl Games - Sat Dec 31, 2011, 06:18 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
BronzeStar
Was just looking through the channel guide for sports, I can't believe it...Vanderbuilt (6-6) in a Bowl game vs Cincinnati(9-3) Liberty Bowl,, found a few other choice games Fight Hunger Bowl Illinois(6-6) vs UCLA (6-7) a real dogs breakfast...., may as well watch hockey....lol

Old
Mon Jan 02, 2012, 02:30 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stakehorse75 View Post
Was just looking through the channel guide for sports, I can't believe it...Vanderbuilt (6-6) in a Bowl game vs Cincinnati(9-3) Liberty Bowl,, found a few other choice games Fight Hunger Bowl Illinois(6-6) vs UCLA (6-7) a real dogs breakfast...., may as well watch hockey....lol

Yeah Stake the UCLA-Illinois match-up was just a joke. Two teams meeting in a bowl game,being coached by interim coaches because they each had such "stellar" seasons that their coaches were fired.

Oh well,the big boy bowl games start today with the annual SEC smacks the Big 10 (but we have 12 member schools...) around tilts.

And does anyone think Houston QB Case Keenum's arm is going to fall off in the second half of the Ticket City Bowl?

Old
Mon Jan 02, 2012, 05:53 PM
(#3)
I've watched most of them so far. The two most striking things are:

1) Empty stadia. I know the big games (BCS and a couple of others) will draw sellouts, but generally there seems to be huge empty swathes of seats. Pretty obvious that these games' main purpose is holiday season TV fodder

2) How much the players care about the minor games. Logically, every game other than the National Championship game has less meaning than every regular season game (as the purpose of every season should be to go undefeated and make it to the NC, these bowl games are the only games which don't affect your ability to become national champions).

Still, I am a lot up on betting on the bowl games so I'm not complaining!

Old
Mon Jan 02, 2012, 07:49 PM
(#4)
Well for the vast majority of the seniors on all the teams it's the last competitive football game that they're ever going to play in so they are going to bring everything to the fore. Given that they tend to be the team leaders and captains that's going to filter down. Plus it's a chance to put a good face on a possible disappointing season for some teams and for other programs (Vanderbilt immediately comes to mind here) that rarely,if ever,go bowling it's a big,big deal.

And then there's the odd chance that a player may get shoved out of bounds into Erin Andrews. Can't get a much better holiday present than that.

Old
Mon Jan 02, 2012, 08:14 PM
(#5)
Moxie, if you saw the Outback Bowl earlier between Nebraska and South Carolina what is your opinion on this:

Nebraska 13 - 30 South Carolina
4th quarter
Just under 2 minutes left
Nebraska has 4th and 27 on their own 20 (approximately).
Nebraska punts.

In my opinion, Head Coach Pelini has just quit on his team. The Seniors should have told him to **** off, refused to punt and run a play instead.

Old
Mon Jan 02, 2012, 08:26 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
why let them score again and embarrass the kids, punt and let them run out the clock

Old
Mon Jan 02, 2012, 08:47 PM
(#7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentire View Post
Moxie, if you saw the Outback Bowl earlier between Nebraska and South Carolina what is your opinion on this:

Nebraska 13 - 30 South Carolina
4th quarter
Just under 2 minutes left
Nebraska has 4th and 27 on their own 20 (approximately).
Nebraska punts.

In my opinion, Head Coach Pelini has just quit on his team. The Seniors should have told him to **** off, refused to punt and run a play instead.

Meh,given that Nebraska had pretty much the most anemic passing game in the nation this year I really don't have a huge problem with the punt. Even though if they turn it over on downs there Spurrier is just going to tell his kids to take a knee and clock the game out (would probably come up about 25-30 seconds short...).

My problem with Pelini,and it came out again today,is that he has no problem showing his kids up on the field. Been a couple instances where he threw them under the bus in post game news conferences as well. THAT is some weak-ass stuff right there.

Great Rose Bowl. Settling in for what should be a heckuva Fiesta Bowl tilt between Stanford and Oklahoma State.

...and my likely enjoyment factor just went down 20 points when I see Matt Millen's sorry ass is the color commentator. Bet he talks Blackmon up as the best player in the draft given his proclivity for drafting WR's in his old job.

Last edited by Moxie Pip; Mon Jan 02, 2012 at 08:50 PM.. Reason: just saw that douche on the mike...

Old
Wed Jan 04, 2012, 12:01 AM
(#8)
LOL,you want to talk rigged? Nice job by the Sugar Bowl getting a bunch of Michigan alumni to referee the game. What a pathetic screw job by that crew on Virginia Tech.

Old
Wed Jan 04, 2012, 01:03 AM
(#9)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie Pip View Post
LOL,you want to talk rigged? Nice job by the Sugar Bowl getting a bunch of Michigan alumni to referee the game. What a pathetic screw job by that crew on Virginia Tech.
no kidding... might cost me winning my pool.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jan 04, 2012, 02:04 AM
(#10)
Since: Aug 2011
ChromeStar
Can only hope the Championship is another super exciting 9-6 snore fest !!! Two of the most unexciting teams in all of college football !!! The y may be the best, but they are not entertaining to watch at all. I would take Houston vs Boise State any day !!!

US College ball is the most rigged thing out there. They need a playoff system or something new as BCS is so odd to figure out, and I'm Canadian.

Old
Wed Jan 04, 2012, 02:07 AM
(#11)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
boise or houston can play in it.... as soon as they play a real schedule. if they want to schedule a bunch of nobodies, then they deserve to be in a crappy bowl game. when the 2nd best team in your conference isn't even in the top 75.... you may have some wins, but they ain't worth much.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jan 04, 2012, 02:27 AM
(#12)
ChromeStar
strictly talking about entertainment. LSU vs Alabama is like watching two dogs sniff eachother's rears for a few hours.

Old
Wed Jan 04, 2012, 02:40 AM
(#13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinyButPhat View Post
strictly talking about entertainment. LSU vs Alabama is like watching two dogs sniff eachother's rears for a few hours.

Not at all. If you think Houston or Boise could hang up those numbers that they do normally on Bama or LSU's defenses you have another guess coming. And for myself I can get just as much entertainment from watching 2 great defensive teams play each other as I can from a 45-42 shoot-out.

No one in the country,not Houston,Boise,Baylor,Oregon or anyone else you can think of,is capable of scoring at will on these two teams. One thing this game will be is a preview of the first 2-3 rounds of the next 2 NFL drafts. Hell LSU could see 4-5 players in their secondary alone go in the first 2 rounds over the next 2 years. And don't get me started on Bama's LB corps. And both of these teams have plenty of weapons on offense as well. Look at the games they had this year against teams NOT named Alabama and LSU.

I do wholeheartedly agree with you on the need for a playoff system in college football though. Funny how all the FBS sub-divisions have it (and many of those players are non-scholarship to boot) but not the big boys.

Old
Wed Jan 04, 2012, 03:03 AM
(#14)
ChromeStar
You have both missed the point I am making. Are they the two greatest teams in the country? Hells yeah !! Are they the two most entertaining, exciting teams to watch play.....against eachother? Hells no.......for all of the reasons you have both stated. Superior defenses. Superior LB corps, superior everything, which keeps the scores low low low, and hence, not so fun to actually watch if, you are like us Canadians and prefer a hint of offence in a game, instead of the kickers deciding it.

Who knew you Americans could be so touchy about Division 1 football ??? JUST KIDDING !!!

All I am saying is if a game like Houston vs Boise State and the LSU vs Alabama game was on the same night, at the same time, BCS aside, I wouldn't even flip to the latter. I'd watch high octane offense with no hint of defence............its like having the Sound of Music and Die Hard on the same night? What are you watching?

Old
Wed Jan 04, 2012, 10:02 AM
(#15)
Skiny,

Not everyone sees it like that. A 9-6 defensive battle will always entertain me more than a 52-49 offensive game where the timing of the game (who gets the last possesion is the key) is all.

I assume that NFL games involving Pittsburgh, San Francisco and Baltimore do nothing for you?

That said, whilst LSU v Alabama is clearly No1 v No2, under the current FBS system this cannot be the National Championship game.

We already know that LSU is better than Alabama. Very marginally, but Alabama had their shot earlier in the season. For the same reason, it could not be Oregon either. It had to be the next best team who LSU had not already beaten (Oklahoma State).

This has been a triumph for computers and systems over logic and common sense.

Last edited by Pentire; Wed Jan 04, 2012 at 10:06 AM..

Old
Wed Jan 04, 2012, 11:34 AM
(#16)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentire View Post

This has been a triumph for computers and systems over logic and common sense.
I disagree here. What it is, is a $$$$ grab by the NCAA with the way they have the bowls set up now. If they go to a playoff (which I whole heartedly hope they do), the $$ from the bowl games not involved in it will go away... and they don't want that to happen, becauase it's just flat out.. too much cash.

2 months until March Madness... a real playoff system

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jan 04, 2012, 11:59 AM
(#17)
ChromeStar
I agree JWK, give me my March Madness. Have not missed it yet over the course of my 37 years that I can remember. This year is as wide open as any and I cannot even pick a favourite.

NCAA Basketball is so much better sometimes than watching the NBA...........

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com