Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$3.5 STT: 50bb Deep in SB, Loose Table, Go&Go w/ AKo, Good Way to Play This?

Old
$3.5 STT: 50bb Deep in SB, Loose Table, Go&Go w/ AKo, Good Way to Play This? - Sat Dec 31, 2011, 06:59 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
This is a really gross spot from the early stage of one of my SNG's. I really don't know if I played this well or just made a horribly unprofitable shove. I think (...?) I played it fine in terms of cEV, it was just high-variance, which is bad for STT's.

Simple enough spot to begin with, I get AK OOP and don't want to just call because I don't want to play a one-pair hand multiway postflop. To avoid an awkward pot size on the flop, I staged a go and go so that I could profitably open shove any possible flop (SPR 1). But with two callers, I questioned the tactic, because now it was much more likely that I was behind.

Should I have check/folded the flop here, or should I have played it differently from the start, or was this fine as played? I'm really unsure. If this were a cash game, I wouldn't be asking, but being an STT it's obviously not clean-cut.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 3.5 Tournament, 15/30 Blinds (7 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Panicky (BB) (t1490)
UTG (t2460)
MP1 (t3390)
MP2 (t1150)
CO (t1390)
Button (t2120)
SB (t1500)

Panicky's M: 33.11

Preflop: Panicky is BB with K, A
1 fold, MP1 bets t60, MP2 calls t60, CO calls t60, 2 folds, Panicky raises to t475, MP1 calls t415, MP2 calls t415, 1 fold

Flop: (t1500) 5, 7, 9 (3 players)
Panicky bets t1015 (All-In)

Old
Sat Dec 31, 2011, 07:36 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2010
It's iffy going all in on the flop here, you have ace high, and you're going to be beat a lot of the time. Middle connectors and middle pairs are both beating you, and could be in the opponents range. Personally, I'm folding to any raise here, but you have committed yourself with your pre-flop raise and your cbet.

You may have reads that make you do this, but otherwise it's a mistake with AK. You don't have a made hand, I have a real aversion to sticking my chips in without a made hand.

Old
Sun Jan 01, 2012, 05:51 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
By putting in a third of your stack, you've committed yourself to the hand preflop. Shoving the flop is now your only option.

If you had bet like 240 pre you would be allowed to fold, but betting so much and folding is really bad so you are forced to shove.

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 01, 2012, 10:43 AM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriholic View Post
By putting in a third of your stack, you've committed yourself to the hand preflop. Shoving the flop is now your only option.

If you had bet like 240 pre you would be allowed to fold, but betting so much and folding is really bad so you are forced to shove.
agree

too much 4bet, 240 is enough to get info. from opp.

if they 5bet you fold

if they call and check and you miss just c/f

you don't have to be broke w AKo with you missing the flop

Old
Sun Jan 01, 2012, 11:57 AM
(#5)
So... you guys don't like my preflop 3bet? It sounds like nobody likes my play, but what's the best way to play it? Fold AK preflop? I don't think so. Raise smaller and play a bloated pot OOP to which a c-bet would commit me? Bad play, imo. Flat call and play 4- or 5-way from the blinds? Icky, but I think that's my next best option, but like I said, I had my reasons not to do that.

The only option that remains is shoving preflop, which is effectively what I did.

Last edited by PanickyPoker; Sun Jan 01, 2012 at 11:59 AM..

Old
Sun Jan 01, 2012, 12:08 PM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
Fold AK preflop? I don't think so.

*****don't fold just raise 240 if you get reraised that's the time to fold

Raise smaller and play a bloated pot OOP to which a c-bet would commit me? Bad play, imo.

***** you don't need to c-bet if you miss. Check/Fold, assuming your heads-up or min 3 way --- if you hit you can gamble all the way but not 4 way or worst 5 way

Flat call and play 4- or 5-way from the blinds?

*****you can't flat AKo in any position it's either a raise or fold you don't want to play AKo with multiple opponents. That's a disaster opp can have anything and you will losing all your chips you want lesser opp that's why you need to raise.

and by raising you will get info on what they are holding if they call not so strong if they reraised that is strong.

o

Old
Sun Jan 01, 2012, 12:17 PM
(#7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinsytan View Post
you don't need to c-bet if you miss. Check/Fold, assuming your heads-up or min 3 way --- if you hit you can gamble all the way but not 4 way or worst 5 way
I guess this would be a good alternative. Although I would flat call AK in a lot of situations. It's not always a raise preflop.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com