Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

A9o bb, donk flop, value call pre-pays off?

Old
Sun Jan 01, 2012, 12:55 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Old
Sun Jan 01, 2012, 06:56 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
preflop: UTG raises to 3BB. Unless I had a read that the opp will raise light from UTG, I'm mucking this one preflop. Normally, UTG raisers will have a pocket pair or AK... and you're behind or dominated by all of them. Due to what a std UTG raiser's range is, you're better off getting out of this hand now and looking for a better situation when you're in position, instead of playing a bloated pot out of position with Ace/rag.

flop: you get top pair with a weak kicker. I like the lead bet here and also like the size of it..... however... when the opp comes over the top, most of the time the opp will have an A with a better kicker than you or a set. Due to that, calling this bet will get you KO'd from the tourney much, much more than you'll win the hand.
You did get extremely lucky here and the opp made a very bad play by shoving without an A or set. This will not normally be the case.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com