Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

right move ?

Old
Question
right move ? - Mon Jan 02, 2012, 12:22 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2010
BronzeStar

Guys were playing tight so i folded. Was it the right move.

Old
Mon Jan 02, 2012, 12:43 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
We need more info here. What game? How tight? How did you pick up this read? Over what span of hands? Stage of the tourney? Any other info you can think of?

Old
Mon Jan 02, 2012, 12:49 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
This is only from my perspective

no matter how tight they are I don't care I got the 4th best hand, I will call 2 opp anytime because I have the stacks. Even if I lose, I will still have 8565 which is still 85BB but if I win I will have 17065. I think I like my risk=rewards ratio here.

this is your best chance to add to your massive stacks. The more stacks you have the easier for you to play poker.

**but if I only got 4500 chips or less. I might fold and look for a better spot considering that you said that your opp is super tight

Old
Mon Jan 02, 2012, 12:49 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
if both opps were playing tight, then I like the fold here.

If the opps were playing any pkt pair or any broadway, then you have 40% equity here (should call). This range may be a bit wide if they're playing tight.

If they're playing any pair, suited broadway A or AQo... then you have 32% equity (slight -EV).

You're not going to be ahead of both opps if they're playing tight and since it's early I'm going to try to find a better spot since you're going to lose 2 out of 3 of these situations, if you call.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jan 02, 2012, 01:02 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
only seen them playing pairs and top cards. there was about 20 left in a 45 man. Im on final table now as chip leader so ill put it down to a good move.

Old
Mon Jan 02, 2012, 01:04 PM
(#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
if both opps were playing tight, then I like the fold here.

If the opps were playing any pkt pair or any broadway, then you have 40% equity here (should call). This range may be a bit wide if they're playing tight.

If they're playing any pair, suited broadway A or AQo... then you have 32% equity (slight -EV).

You're not going to be ahead of both opps if they're playing tight and since it's early I'm going to try to find a better spot since you're going to lose 2 out of 3 of these situations, if you call.
follow up question

I think I like to gamble so much after all

really, if they are tight we still need to fold in this kind of situation. I think if opp#1 have AA or KK or even QQ I don't think he will just shove 29.5BB's. Maybe opp#2 is stronger, as long as they don't have AA.

so the question is even when we have massive stacks like this one we still need to play cautiously even if we can afford to gamble a little bit because gambling here is still not risking our tournament life.

Old
Mon Jan 02, 2012, 01:10 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
I once read here somewhere chips lost are worth more than chips won, I felt i was gonna loose this hand so i folded.

Old
Mon Jan 02, 2012, 01:19 PM
(#8)
BronzeStar

Final table

Old
Mon Jan 02, 2012, 01:26 PM
(#9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.bisland View Post
I once read here somewhere chips lost are worth more than chips won, I felt i was gonna loose this hand so i folded.
agree 100%

Old
Mon Jan 02, 2012, 01:27 PM
(#10)
definitely folding the final table hand

no doubt about it

Old
Mon Jan 02, 2012, 03:17 PM
(#11)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Reads? They both look like snap calls to me. With AK you have blockers to AA and KK. Also, a reshove usually indicates a hand weaker than KK, or at least he probably has a fairly wide range. There's enough dead money in the pot to race against anything else and your goal is to win the tournament! To win tourneys you have to win races, and this is a good one that would put you in contention to take it down.

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com