Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Trilling hand comes to good result.

Old
Trilling hand comes to good result. - Tue Jan 03, 2012, 10:01 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2011
This happened to me yesterday evening in cash games 2/5c sorry if I do not remember the right amounts though you should get the right picture just the same. Since it is not a very usual hand I would like to know if I could have done anything different.

Player A with around 6dollars raises from early x3 bb
Player B on the button calls
Player C from the SB thinks a bit and calls too he has 9.50$
I call from BB with 9 10 offsuit and my stack is 12.40$

Flop is a miracle 9 9 10 rainbow.. !!! :-)

Player C thinks and check...
I check...
Initial raiser player A bets half the pot, Player B folds and Player C reraises x2
I call...
Player A who must have had maybe a hand like AK folds.

Turn Q comes... and Player C bets something very small like 1/4 of the pot and I start smelling fishy... I call but at this point I think he must have or 10 10 or Q Q...

River the Case 9 comes that gives me the nuts.. and Player C bets half the pot... Of course I shove all in with the nuts and he calls and shows QQ !!!

At this level hands are usually played straight forward and not with such a thought in it so is there anything wrong I did even if the result was super? I am asking this because it is a bit of a strange hand to be in and thank god I smelled it bad and I was paying attention or else without the case 9 I would have lost maybe everything to him.

Regards
Etienne

Old
Tue Jan 03, 2012, 11:58 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
preflop: you can call or fold here. You're out of position, so you normally want to be playing better cards here, but you do have a hand with potential.

flop: when it's checked to you, you need to be leading out here. An opp can easily have 9x with a larger kicker that could pair later in the hand. If so, you need to make them pay to draw at it. And, you definitely need to be calling any raises... it's a good thing if your opps want to be raising into your full house... but remember, it's the bottom full house, someone could have pkt 10's here too.

turn: I really like your thinking here. 10's or Q's is definitely a possibility. Calling here for pot control (because you're not folding your full house here) is a good idea.

river: when you hit quads, you want to do anything that you can to get as many of your opp's chips into the pot as possible. They bet and you shove. If you think the opp will call a shove, it's absolutely the correct play. If you think the opp won't call a shove, then raise to whatever amount you think the opp will call.

At 2NL or 5NL, you really want to be playing ABC poker. Bluffs won't work as well at these levels, as you'll normally have at least 1 or 2 calling stations at your table that will call anything, or players that will keep their hands even if it looks like they're beat.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com