Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Should I have played this fifty50 SNG hand any differently?

Old
Should I have played this fifty50 SNG hand any differently? - Tue Jan 03, 2012, 02:31 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
BronzeStar
Im curious if I should have played this any differently as this hand pretty much lost me my last SNG.

Looking back at this hand in hindsight I can see why my opponent was betting the way he did. Was this just a bad beat or should I have seen something here that was an indication I was about to loose a stack of chips?

Old
Tue Jan 03, 2012, 02:36 PM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2007
***Moved***

Hi FloatableCat,

Just moving this to the correct section and then I will give you my tuppence worth.

Cheers

TC

Old
Tue Jan 03, 2012, 02:48 PM
(#3)
First of all the most important thing I find in these is player reads! Did you have any reads on the opponent? Had you noted what he was betting with before?

He makes a 3X raise UTG, which would normally indicate strength. You call which is fine and hit middle pair on the flop. The bet sizing for middle pair is too high, you are bloating the pot, could be behind, and there is a flush draw out there.

You hit trips on the turn, but the flush has possibly hit too; I like the pot sized bet here but then when he goes all I am folding my trips: at this level people rarely bluff and when they go all in they normally have it. If I had a set( two pair in my hand plus the same card on the board), it would be more marginal but with trips I would fold with still nearly 3000 chips.

The guy was a total LAG and you need to note that and although 50/50s are about winning as many chips as possible I would always be wary being the biggest stack going in against the second biggest stack.

Cheers,

TC

Old
Tue Jan 03, 2012, 03:06 PM
(#4)
Since: Dec 2011
BronzeStar
Thanks TC.

I hadn't any reads on him really at this point, he wasn't aggressive and I hadn't really noticed anything spectacular from him.

What do you think an acceptable sized bet would have been after the flop? I fired 400 into him as I thought anything less with a pot of 390 would have been fairly easy to call. I was hoping to push him off the pot.

Old
Tue Jan 03, 2012, 03:14 PM
(#5)
Up against the other big stack, I am not willing to play for all my chips in this format unless I am 100% certain i have him beat.

The other thing is that you do not want to push anyone off a pot if you think your hand has equity, i.e. you can win more money off him. I would have made it about 180 to go, maybe 150, he probably would have only called with his draw. Then the pot sized bet you make on the turn is much smaller so it is easier to get away from the hand.

I am not an expert on these things though, although I think my advice is never that far out. It is just a pity that I cannot follow my own advice when I am playing myself, it is always much easier in hindsight than in reality

Cheers,

TC

Old
Tue Jan 03, 2012, 04:44 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Reads on the opp from previous hands could change what to do, but here's what I see from it.

preflop: the opp makes a std opening raise from UTG, which is a read you should respect. You have AJ suited, so calling here is a good play. If you were in position, you could also raise here, but with being out of position, I think calling here is the best play.

flop: you hit 2nd pair, but the board has not only the over card, but a possible straight and flush draw. I don't mind lead betting, but think your bet is a big large here. You want to price out any draws, but you don't know if you have the best hand yet. The opp could easily have Qx or a set too. I'd have sized the bet here at about 1/2 the pot (200 chips). The opp calling here means that they have 2 overs (AK) or hit part of the board, either with a pair or a draw.

turn: J clubs. This is a good card for you, but also a scary card, as if the opp had pocket clubs, they're now ahead of you. Here again, I like the idea of leading here, but once again, I think the bet size is a bit large. I'd have once again went in the 50-66% of the pot range. This allows you to get value, price out a single club draw but keep the pot lower if the opp is ahead of you.

When the opp shoves here, I'd be putting them on a flush or QQ or QJs for a full house. If they have the flush, you have 10 outs to beat them, if they have a full house already, you're either drawing dead or have 3 outs to your A. To call their shove, you have to put 2910 chips into a pot that wil be 8010 (36%). If they have a flush, your 10 outs give you 20% hand equity (6% maximum hand equity if they have a full house), which is less than the % of chips that you would need to put into the pot, so due to that, you need to fold your hand here.

After the opp shows 59 suited, I'd be making a note that they raise from UTG with very weak holdings, as that hand should be a preflop fold from them, instead of a raise.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jan 03, 2012, 04:46 PM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by topthecat View Post
Up against the other big stack, I am not willing to play for all my chips in this format unless I am 100% certain i have him beat.
You don't need to be 100% certain that you have the opp beat, but what you do need to be certain of is that you have more equity in the hand than the amount of chips you need to put in the pot. This is what will determine whethere it is a + or - EV play. If it's a high +EV play, then we want to be making it, even if you're not 100% certain you have the best hand. If you do this continually, while you may lose some in the short run..... you'll be ahead in the long run.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com