Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

TT GCI fold, mid game, for better spot.

Old
Tue Jan 03, 2012, 03:08 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
This is a tight fold, but if you lack really solid info on the CALLER of the all in, I like it actually. Consider...

1) A CALL here is really not an option for you.

You cannot really call off 1578 of a 4200 stack and comfortably FOLD, so a move all in is your only option for continuing.

2) You lack info needed to effectively range the live stack.

Lacking in reads on the non all in stack, there is quite a good chance that you will be facing at least a RACE if he calls. Your stack is a little too big to want to race at this time, so close to the bubble.

If you knew the caller had a call range for an all in by you that had some pp smaller than TT in it, then a jam might be better, but without that, an all in move is a big risk.

3) If you raise all in, you really would rather the live stack CALLS than fold.

If you raise all in and the live stack folds, you are taking TT versus the short stack's range. While that is fine, a stack that short probably is not waiting just for premium cards, there is a CHANCE that shortie is on a premium holding.

If the live stack says in though, you will build a side pot that will off-set any losses you might take against the short stack all alone. The only problem is that it would be hard for the other stack to CALL without at least a race.

If you know a portion of his Calling range for your all in consists of smaller pp than TT, then a shove may be worthwhile for you, but you lack that info. If your BEST HOPE is that a call from te over live stack here will result in a race for you, your stack is big enough really to not WANT to race this close to the bubble.

All in all, in this circumstance you are not contemplating a call, but rather an OVER CALL.

Google "the gap concept in poker", and this will show you that it will take a bigger hand to call than it takes to bet or raise.

What that means for you is that an over call, calling an all in after someone else has called, is a LOT riskier than calling yourself, with no one else left to act.

You must not only play versus the all in, but also against the other caller.

If you held QQ, or AK, then a jam here is pretty standard by you.
If you held 66/77, a fold is a no brainer.

When you hold TT, but you lack info, your hand is more like 77 than QQ, so you should fold more often than not.

Good fold.

Hope it helps.

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Last edited by JDean; Tue Jan 03, 2012 at 03:21 PM..

Old
Tue Jan 03, 2012, 03:21 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
As JD said its shove or fold time. It depends on your reads. If the caller would make an isolation re-raise here with their premium hands and flat the weaker ones, then this is a perfect shove opportunity. If they would flat their premium hands then a fold is wise.

Old
Tue Jan 03, 2012, 04:25 PM
(#3)
BronzeStar
an all in is an option, but to be an option you need to clearly assess your chances.

Taking a race is not TERRIBLE if the live stack calls you and that is what you find, but if the BEST you can hope for is a race then it is too risky to try, see?

You MUST know that you will not simply fold out the hands you crush in the live stack's range, or else all that WILL call you are the hands that race you or crush you.

...and you really lack that critical info.

so a fold here is fine.

Once in the money, I probably go with my gut a lot more often and jam this myself, and if I am FARTHER from the money I am probably more willing to do that too. But here...a fold is fine.

Lock up a cash, and then increase your risk.

see?

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jan 03, 2012, 04:30 PM
(#4)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted user View Post

The race is a 1 in 3 given my lazy reads being pretty ok,
You gotta remember...

If you are racing the live stack, you are racing for the SIDE POT at about 50/50.

but against the field for the MAIN POT, you might be facing as many as 4 live over cards.

4 live overs (if the all in has KQ and the caller has AJ) does NOT leave you as a race, but rather as about a 32% equity to win the entire pot...

while this is not BAD for you, if that is near the best you can hope for, that is not really enough to love standing on TT...

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jan 03, 2012, 05:02 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
at this point in the tourney, for me, if I can isolate 1 opp, then I don't mind taking a stand with 10's here. Against 2 opps, I'd try to muck it and find a better spot where I was isolated against one opp, or had a better hand.
There are 2 opps at your table with lower chip stacks and one about even... don't know what the stacks are at the other table. If they're similar, I'm folding here also to get ITM, since you have a stack that should already get you there. Remember, you can't win a tourney if you first don't get ITM.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com