Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

Ed's Saturday Splash FPP Satty's Thread

Old
Ed's Saturday Splash FPP Satty's Thread - Wed Jan 04, 2012, 11:36 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2010
I've decided to try to play the Saturday Splash Satellites 2FPPs+Unlimited Rebuys+Add-on, on a more regular basis with the intention of earning T-money to try to play more STTs/MTTs, some at a slightly higher level than my current BR allows, and also to help fund my home games tournaments. I will unregister from any tickets earned to build my T-money roll.

I've started the year with about 1,750 FPPs so plenty of 'roll' to play a lot of these.

I've played a fair few of these in the past on an irregular basis, and have developed a style that I think is reasonably adapted for these, but now I want to keep track of them more easily, as they don't show on the tracking sites as far as I can tell because they are not cash buy-ins.

T1 - T493043721 13:26 (WET) 04/01/2012

Dear EdinFreeMan,

You finished the tournament in 1st place. You qualified to play in Tournament #492965997 and are automatically registered for it. See Tournament #492965997 Lobby for further details. If you choose to unregister from this tournament your account will be credited with T-USD 2.22. Tournament US Dollars can be used to buy into any tournament.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 140 hands and saw flop:
- 7 out of 17 times while in big blind (41%)
- 0 out of 17 times while in small blind (0%)
- 4 out of 106 times in other positions (3%)
- a total of 11 out of 140 (7%)
Pots won at showdown - 5 of 5 (100%)
Pots won without showdown - 2

Almost perfect start - made the end of the rebuy/add-on period in 48th of 154, having taken the initial rebuy at the start, and the add-on - so a cost of 6FPPs to win $2.22. Did not play any hands after the add-on period until the final hand below, and had dropped to 69th of 78 by hand to hand play at the bubble.

Prizes were 8FPP for 77th, 20FPP for 75th & 76th - $2.22 ticket for 1-74th

I was running about 67th when the tickets were awarded - knocked out the last player with this hand, nicely checked down by the other opp.

Good luck all

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Old
Wed Jan 04, 2012, 11:58 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Ed,

In satellites like this, it doesn't matter whether you're in 1st place or 74th place.... they all get the same prize, the ticket. In them, do whatever you can to preserve your placing in the top 74 and if there are lower stacks than you out there, let them get ko'd before taking a chance. 67th counts the same as 1st here.
It looks to me like you played the tournament correctly, because you got the ticket . Keep it up and take down the next one

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jan 04, 2012, 12:11 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
I'm br nit so the t moneys that i win i use them for the games that my roll allows.
Exception i make if the tourney offers overlays and its small field, like the one that 1k monthly pso had.

Gl

Old
Angry
Wed Jan 04, 2012, 01:53 PM
(#4)
T2 - T493043724 - 16:26 (WET) 04/01/12

2nd tourney was a festival of beats and double-rebuys for me - including:

AQ suited beat by 52 suited

The classic aces cracked

Dominant ace king losing to ace-rag

I lost count of how many rebuys I had to make, but near the end of the rebuy period I doubled up, so I took the add-on and went into the final stages 101st of 120 with 42,869 chips, about 8.5xBB. Tickets were paid out to 62 so I needed acouple of double ups and went with shoving my first ace trying to leverage what fold equity I still had.

Story of the game - get it in ahead and lose.

Busted 110th.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 109 hands and saw flop:
- 9 out of 12 times while in big blind (75%)
- 2 out of 13 times while in small blind (15%)
- 10 out of 84 times in other positions (11%)
- a total of 21 out of 109 (19%)
Pots won at showdown - 5 of 16 (31%)
Pots won without showdown - 1

OK -

I have to say here that I don't have any problem with this overall result, or any of the individual beats I suffered. It is simply just going to happen a lot in these tourneys. This is not the place to play if you tilt from bad beats. There is not a lot of post-flop play, mostly multi-way pots getting it all in pre-flop. You have very little fold equity in the rebuy period as it is a lose/reload mentality.

So 2 played - one went very well, one went very bad. I'm in one more which is close to the end of the rebuy period, then back to PSO Open/UKIPT for the evening.

Good luck all

Old
Wed Jan 04, 2012, 03:08 PM
(#5)
T3 - T493043725 - 17:26 (WET) 04/01/12

Third tourney more of a mixed bag than the first two - a few reloads, then a good run to the end.

PokerStars Tournament #493043725, No Limit Hold'emSuper Satellite
Buy-In: 2 FPP
701 players
Total Prize Pool: 9804 FPP
Target Tournament #492965997 70 tickets to the target tournament
Tournament started 2012/01/04 17:26:00 WET [2012/01/04 12:26:00 ET]

Dear EdinFreeMan,

You finished the tournament in 1st place. You qualified to play in Tournament #492965997 and are automatically registered for it. See Tournament #492965997 Lobby for further details. If you choose to unregister from this tournament your account will be credited with T-USD 2.22. Tournament US Dollars can be used to buy into any tournament.

Congratulations! Thank you for participating.

I felt I still needed chips after the rebuy and add-on periods were over, so I picked 2 spots carefully and they worked out.

The first one was a bit risky as I expected a call and would have to hit or hold with A high.

The second one looks risky, but I was 99% sure the blinds were not calling at this stage, even with premium hands, as they are both set up for a ticket already and I would cripple them. This was also based on the reads of the way they were playing since the rebuy/add-on period ended. Against some other players I would not take this risk.

That gained enough chips from the dead money to put me safe for a ticket - so then it was discipline to fold all those hands you might need to play in a different situation.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 142 hands and saw flop:
- 6 out of 16 times while in big blind (37%)
- 2 out of 16 times while in small blind (12%)
- 5 out of 110 times in other positions (4%)
- a total of 13 out of 142 (9%)
Pots won at showdown - 5 of 9 (55%)
Pots won without showdown - 1

So a nice two from three session, for $4.44 T-money. Not too sure about the FPP cost - probably around 75.

Good luck all

Last edited by EdinFreeMan; Wed Jan 04, 2012 at 03:17 PM..

Old
Thu Jan 05, 2012, 03:42 PM
(#6)
T4 - T493043736 - 15:26 (WET) 05/01/12

Slightly late registering, I got dealt my first hand before I had time to rebuy so had 3K and trebled it up first hand

I stay patient as I am card dead, but once my stack drops below the 6K I check the auto-double rebuy box and prepare to shove any decent spot

pocket aces looks like a decent spot to double up or better....

....but in a four way pot aces get cracked even more often

I did rebuy after that but the next time I busted I decided to let this one go. I had entered for 2FPP and twice took a double rebuu so I invested 10FPP. By my last bust we were not far from the end of the rebuy period and I would have had to shove every hand and hope to double up or better three times in a row as I want a minimum of 30-40K to take the 30k chip add-on and have some hope in the final stages.

So now ITM 2 from 4

Old
Thu Jan 05, 2012, 05:22 PM
(#7)
T5 - T493043737 - 16:26 (WET) 05/01/12

Take the rebuy before the first hand so start with 6K.

Get rockets in against two opponents at the 150BB level.

gain some more chips courtesy of my speciality hand - getting AKoff to hold

with around 20K a similar stack limps and I shove my pocket pair hoping to double up

happy to take some chips unopposed with Jacks

The dealer kindly gives me two aces again. The opponent doesn't find my 10x preflop raise fishy and calls off my shove on the flop with a gutshot straight draw - very generous.

replay hand_id=192997 type=ps title_id=2 showControls=1 themePath=table_PS_560x386.jpg lang=en gameEntity=0 hash=9D131007E4]

about ten minutes before the rebuy period ends I get another premium pair in the big blind and the action I want to go with it.

Luckily nobody has a King in hand and I almost quadruple my stack at a crucial stage. I take the add-on of 30k chips to start the final stages 71st of 135 with tickets being paid to 67th and the balance of FPPs down to 73rd, so I'm sitting in bubble territory. I don't get any tempting hands and am slipping back into the 80-90 range when I pick up a couple more ladies.

I'm still on the margins of the FPP prizes, 70th of 75, when the friendly dealer hands me the rockets again, on the button. The table folds to me and I expect my shove to take the dead money which should be enough.

A mistake for the big blind to call, even with QQ, as they were already set for a ticket, but doubling me makes me a certainty, placing me about 51st. I fold another 15 hands and collect the ticket for another minimum buy in + 1 rebuy + 1 add-on cost of 6FPPs.

PokerStars Tournament #493043737, No Limit Hold'emSuper Satellite
Buy-In: 2 FPP
655 players
Total Prize Pool: 9484 FPP
Target Tournament #492965997
67 tickets to the target tournament
Tournament started 2012/01/05 16:26:00 WET [2012/01/05 11:26:00 ET]

Dear EdinFreeMan,

Congratulations!

Thats 3 out of 5 - $6.66 up - with 1,689 FPPs still in the tank.

Good luck all

Last edited by EdinFreeMan; Thu Jan 05, 2012 at 05:33 PM..

Old
Sat Jan 07, 2012, 06:53 PM
(#8)
T6 - T493043747 - 13:26 (WET) 06/01/12

2FPP entry +2FPP rebuy to start with 6k chips

blind down to almost 3k and am preparing to rebuy when I get pocket 8s and win a pot

followed up with a monster pair that skins the ducks

I believe the ladies are strong enough to call two all-in shoves

A nice stack size now - but still needs maintaining - so another premium hand is welcome

I risk shoving an AQ suited into the big stacks

well a double would have been better, but I'm happy to survive and get a few chips

A shove over two limps - will they fold? Will my AJ hold?

nice dead money add on uncontested - followed by more aggression with 66 in the small blind

I make it past the add-on period wiith a reasonable, but not really large enough stack.

I decide an early shove is in order with my AK suited, even though it is under the gun

The table folds all around to the BB who makes what for me is a pretty loose call with 44.
If I am shoving any PP 55+ he is dominated, the rest of my range he is in a race against hands like the one I have here, but ahead. With his stack size I would have passed here.

However, the 44 holds and I am left thinking I myself was a bit rash and loose going with AKs UTG. On the other hand I needed chips and this might be my best spot, as I still have fold equity at 10BB against most of the other stack sizes who would swap positions with me if they double me up.

So - the chance of another ticket goes begging, after what had been an otherwise very good run for my minimum 6FPPs. Out 100th.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 116 hands and saw flop:
- 4 out of 13 times while in big blind (30%)
- 0 out of 11 times while in small blind (0%)
- 5 out of 92 times in other positions (5%)
- a total of 9 out of 116 (7%)
Pots won at showdown - 5 of 6 (83%)
Pots won without showdown - 2

Good luck all

Old
Tue Jan 10, 2012, 10:47 AM
(#9)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi Ed,

Afetr reading your posts i decided to try one. OMG... 5 minute blinds were doing my head in

I did take the rebuy at start and 3 double rebuys during the rebuy period. It threw me as 2nd break was 5 5mins before end of rebuy period i had clicked auto add-on. 90 min rebuy period....

so finished rebuy period with 20000 chips added on 30000

And blinds done 55 got a ticket. Folded KK twice to massive raises and with 1600 and blinds at 5K10K with me in SB all in (of course) lost of course and - got my ticket as a player with less chips on other table lost as well.

I'm in two minds about them 8fpps for 2.22 is great value but the time and efort i need for the format was a kiler for me.

Could be a good training for turbo play mind you.

I may try a few more and see how it goes.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com