Correct to Fold? Pocket Q's

Old
Correct to Fold? Pocket Q's - Wed Jan 04, 2012, 04:58 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
I folded the lady's on the River,

I just had the feeling I was beat, maybe by trip J's

Any thoughts, no reads on the opponent, I wasn't long at the table, only about 5 hands in.

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jan 04, 2012, 05:31 PM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2007
Preflop is fine.

IMO the size of the raise on the flop is too high, you are virtually telling him your hand. With no overs, you do not want to scare him out of the pot, you want to keep him in it. The fact he calls such a big raise would have the alarm bells going off.

He checks the turn and you barrel again, and again too high, and then he reraises and it is a more than a pot sized reraise. I fold here, even if he is bluffing, which is possible, but unlikely IMO unless he has ranged you as a nit in 5 hands. The call is just over valuing your premium starting hand and he could be exploiting that here.

Big bet on the river and you fold, which is the right play. Did he have the set? Did he hit the straight? Did he bluff you off the best hand? Who knows? The only way you would know would be by making a hero call with possible top pair.

One tip and I feel an important one, when you sit down at a cash table, check which players are multi tabling and which are not, grinders will not "normally" call a raise out of position without a big hand. And I say normally because there are some who will immediately switch gears when a new player appears at the table.

And just as I am feeling generous, a second tip, master the game and be profitable at 2NL full ring before taking a shot at 5NL.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

TC

Old
Wed Jan 04, 2012, 06:26 PM
(#3)
(Community Coordinator)
Cheers Tony!

Some good points there and I'll take them onboard.

Thanks for the response!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jan 04, 2012, 06:39 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
dont rule out 56 too, I am not folding but am a huge fish in cash games lol

Old
Wed Jan 04, 2012, 09:45 PM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2010
I really dislike the call on the turn if you're ever folding the river, unless maybe an ace comes or a big draw completes and he makes a big bet. Either reraise all-in for value, fold because you think you're beat, or call to trap and then get it in on the river. The river completely bricked, so why call the turn if you're just going to fold the river when nothing is changed? If you ever call the turn here, it should be with the idea that you're trapping imo.

The turn spot is where the big decision point is, and it is a tricky one, at least for me (I very rarely play on stacks this deep, so take my advice with a grain of salt). Without reads, I think you can safely fold and chalk one up for the Baluga Theorem, but with any reads at all that could change. His line does look very strong, so there's not much reason to continue.

Old
Wed Jan 04, 2012, 10:16 PM
(#6)
(Community Coordinator)
Thanks Panicky,

That sounds like some solid advice!

Your 100% right, I should have given up on the Turn.

Dave just reviewed one of my hand histories in Live Training and it's spots like this that get me into so much trouble!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jan 05, 2012, 12:12 AM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Paul,

I agree with folding on the turn here. The opponent's line looks very strong, you are either crushed by a slowplayed AA/KK or a set, or up against some kind of combo draw (generally) in this spot and your equity with QQ isn't good. I agree with others that with reads this could change, but without them this is a pretty safe spot to fold since he's taking a really strong value line in the hand and you can't beat anything in a strong value range. Like Tony said, sometimes you will be getting moved off the best hand but when they take this line on deeper stacks you will very often find yourself in a world of hurt.

@Panicky: You could call the turn vs. opponents who will try a one time check-raise bluff or semi-bluff, but give up the river to you when they get called. Or against opponents that will take this line with a hand like JsXs and then when they don't improve, check-call because they have showdown value with their top pair. (But we don't know any of this with no reads so I think folding is better personally).

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com