Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

2 hands that kicked me out

Old
2 hands that kicked me out - Thu Jan 05, 2012, 10:08 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
i know i could have done it differently but thes players tend to play like crazy shoving any playable hand they get

this AK i called because qat this point the only two options we have is call a shove or fold, the blind are that high that it looks like everybody is playing pushfold

the next 1 is a shortstacked shove against this level of blinds ending just unlucky for me.

Now is my main question how can i survive a shoving frenzy like this with a 200k stack and this blind level because i see 70 procent of the table shoving anything between JT o+, 89s+, 55+ any broadway any suited and unsuited A so basicly ATC! pls Help

Last edited by 77wopke77; Thu Jan 05, 2012 at 10:19 AM..

Old
Thu Jan 05, 2012, 02:35 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
If you're in situations where everyone at the table is shoving, all you can do is to pick a hand that you're ahead with (which you did in both of them) and go with it. To win a tourney, you're going to end up in race sitautions and you'll need to get lucky in them a few times, to win the tourney.

The only exception to this would be if the tourney is a satellite, then you need to preserve your position once you get enough chips to cash and get the tickets.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jan 05, 2012, 10:46 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
IMO 1st hand UTG shove ATo with about 8M is abit loose. but since most players on the table have similar M or short stack, maybe it not a bad idea to just shove.

2nd hand is the same idea. the 4 remaining players have similar stack size with pretty low M so hijack and CO can actually shove a little bit lighter but i'm not sure if A5o is correct or not.

Last edited by Keldraco; Thu Jan 05, 2012 at 10:53 PM..

Old
Fold - Shove - Fri Jan 06, 2012, 04:15 PM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77wopke77 View Post
i know i could have done it differently but thes players tend to play like crazy shoving any playable hand they get

this AK i called because at this point the only two options we have is call a shove or fold, the blind are that high that it looks like everybody is playing pushfold

the next 1 is a shortstacked shove against this level of blinds ending just unlucky for me.

Now is my main question how can i survive a shoving frenzy like this with a 200k stack and this blind level because i see 70 procent of the table shoving anything between JT o+, 89s+, 55+ any broadway any suited and unsuited A so basicly ATC! pls Help
Assuming no reads – no bubble – no sattie. Even if your read for hand #2 (everyone shoving light), goes for hand #1, my question is, is yaka990 included in the ‘everyone’? Have you seen this done ‘light’ by him in EP? Big difference between EP shoves and LP shoves. Some players will risk 20BB on an open/shove, others won’t. It seems to me like he doesn’t want to see any callers (but there’s where reads come in). If he is Nitty, do you want to coin flip, or worse? Would this player do that with AA? Or would they try to get value? Is this a normal stack size shove for this player? Too many unanswered questions.

Hand #1: Here you are faced with a 20BB shove from UTG. This in general is quite a strong play. As stated above without reads (and other assumptions from above), I don’t like risking what looks like a comfortable stack (relatively speaking). It’s only 24BB but still above the table average. You can still manipulate other players at this table, PLUS you are going to be in the BTN next hand. You may be able to use your position to chip up during the next couple of hands.

Being that you are not desperate, and have a stack that still wields fold equity, I would hold off. That’s a personal decision; I’m not looking for a coin flip right now. I worked too hard to get here, and don’t risk my chips when they can still work for me. I respect others that would shove in this scenario – to each his own, but I have more faith in my game play and would rather pit my skills against the other players at the table.

Hand #2 is much easier: you’re facing a LP 12BB shove. You’re on a table where you say ‘everyone’ is shoving light. Even if he’s a Nit, you need to get your money in the pot. You don’t have time to wait around for a better hand (neither does he). You have the added value of the dead money that’s in the pot already. Your entry into the pot may get the blinds interested in the pot as well. Hopefully if they join in, the villains might share some duplicate cards, giving you and even better risk/reward factor. You need to quadruple-up. Even if you win this one HU, you still need to parlay your stack to get back in the tourney.

P.S. As for your final question - 20BB stack at this point of the tourney is pretty healthy (relative to the other stacks) and doesn't have to do anything drastic.

Old
Fri Jan 06, 2012, 04:53 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
tnx king but in hand 1 the guy is pretty much evryone! shoving a 60% range. as said choices are push or fold. when i get AK i had to call.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com