Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Flop a set. Bad beat of bad play???

Old
Flop a set. Bad beat of bad play??? - Thu Jan 05, 2012, 03:03 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
with all the raise preflop, did my shove is correct or there is a better way to play it.

Pot is same of my stack and need to protect my pot that is why i shove after floppin a set.

Old
Thu Jan 05, 2012, 03:15 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
it was a great play pare

great call 600 so you can fold if any A Q K comes out --like it

you flopped set - the pot is almost the same as your stack size as you stated i would shove also so that any draws will have to pay.

nh sir

that's all we can say

register next game

opp that have Q's should have reraised PRE- he played his Q's badly PRE or if he forgot to reraised he should have 3bet all in when the BTN reraised to 600.

Last edited by marvinsytan; Thu Jan 05, 2012 at 03:21 PM..

Old
Thu Jan 05, 2012, 03:52 PM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
I think your preflop open was good, but I think calling the 3bet was bad. The reason is, you need to have at least 15 times the amount you need to call in both your stack and the 3bettor's stack so that you can setmine profitably. When JJ gets 3bet preflop, you need to stop playing it like it's a monster, and fold it if you can't setmine. The exception is if the table is loose, aggressive, and very bad. In that case you should shove all-in.

On the flop, you made a monster hand with only one pot sized bet behind. This is basically a dream situation for you, and getting all-in is exactly the right thing to do. It's too bad that you lost, but don't feel bad about losing with a flopped set. That's rare, so you don't need to worry about it happening often.

Old
Fri Jan 06, 2012, 02:38 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Pinoy,

I agree with Panicky, calling the 3b is not good. If the raiser is a light squeezer you can come back over the top, if not I'd just fold the jacks. The trouble is you don't have enough odds to call strictly trying to flop a set, and your JJ won't play well without one. If over cards come you'll basically be resigned to check-folding, and if you flop an overpair the situation is still not attractive, if you continue in the hand it will be for stacks (and with a stack to pot ratio of 1 you have to go with an overpair of J's). But you'll never be comfortable with it because you're praying the 3-bettor has AK and missed. If you will be in a post flop situation where you will have to commit (very low spr and an overpair to the board) but will still never be comfortable doing so (as you'll often be up against QQ-AA), then I don't like putting myself in those situations int he first place.

As played, on the flop jamming ok obviously but I would generally check and let the 3 bettor c-bet all in so we can get value from AK or TT when he does have those. I'm not particularly worried about club draws, those are possible but a very small part of their over all ranges.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 06, 2012, 04:26 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
I don't love checking the flop simply because in a 4-way pot the button might just check behind. Particularly if he was squeezing or his 88 type hand didn't flop like he hoped. A shove might fold out AK and TT though and pairs and SCs. You could try betting small, like 1-2 BBs to induce someone to shove. But really with exactly 1 potsize bet this should look pretty strong but a 1 BB bet looks like a misclick at least some of the time.

And yes this either a shove or fold preflop. You should have some reads by now if you've all been at the same table for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinsytan
opp that have Q's should have reraised PRE- he played his Q's badly PRE or if he forgot to reraised he should have 3bet all in when the BTN reraised to 600.
Not necessarily. If he knows button is likely to squeeze here he can often get more value by flatting than by 3-betting, since 3-betting will likely take most of the bluffs out of the button's range. I do agree that after the button squeezes and is called twice that he should jam and FHL if he runs into AA, there is so much money in the pot that even if everyone folds it's a nice chip-up, and most likely at least one of these guys will be happy to call with a worse hand like TT or JJ.

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by oriholic; Fri Jan 06, 2012 at 04:29 PM..

Old
Fri Jan 06, 2012, 04:36 PM
(#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanickyPoker View Post
I think your preflop open was good, but I think calling the 3bet was bad. The reason is, you need to have at least 15 times the amount you need to call in both your stack and the 3bettor's stack so that you can setmine profitably. When JJ gets 3bet preflop, you need to stop playing it like it's a monster, and fold it if you can't setmine. The exception is if the table is loose, aggressive, and very bad. In that case you should shove all-in.

On the flop, you made a monster hand with only one pot sized bet behind. This is basically a dream situation for you, and getting all-in is exactly the right thing to do. It's too bad that you lost, but don't feel bad about losing with a flopped set. That's rare, so you don't need to worry about it happening often.
ok thanks for the advice,i'll keep in mind

Old
Fri Jan 06, 2012, 04:37 PM
(#7)
Since: Dec 2011
thanks for this post guys

Old
Fri Jan 06, 2012, 04:46 PM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
Hi Pinoy,

I agree with Panicky, calling the 3b is not good. If the raiser is a light squeezer you can come back over the top, if not I'd just fold the jacks. The trouble is you don't have enough odds to call strictly trying to flop a set, and your JJ won't play well without one. If over cards come you'll basically be resigned to check-folding, and if you flop an overpair the situation is still not attractive, if you continue in the hand it will be for stacks (and with a stack to pot ratio of 1 you have to go with an overpair of J's). But you'll never be comfortable with it because you're praying the 3-bettor has AK and missed. If you will be in a post flop situation where you will have to commit (very low spr and an overpair to the board) but will still never be comfortable doing so (as you'll often be up against QQ-AA), then I don't like putting myself in those situations int he first place.

As played, on the flop jamming ok obviously but I would generally check and let the 3 bettor c-bet all in so we can get value from AK or TT when he does have those. I'm not particularly worried about club draws, those are possible but a very small part of their over all ranges.

Dave
Thanks Dave,

I'll keep it in mind. afraid i'm might out drawn.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com