Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

i really dont know how to play AK-big 11

Old
i really dont know how to play AK-big 11 - Fri Jan 06, 2012, 02:07 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
it seems like im folding AK very often

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

how to play this right?

Old
Fri Jan 06, 2012, 02:16 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
You could call preflop instead of 3betting. You could check back the flop instead of cbetting. There are a lot of modifications you could make, and your course of action really depends on your table. I think your fold here was good, although I prefer just calling preflop. If you call preflop, you lower your variance, underrep you hand (which is useful if you flop top/top), and give yourself the option to 4bet-backraise if somebody particularly aggressive decides to squeeze.

Old
Fri Jan 06, 2012, 02:36 PM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2011
+1 to panicky's post. Alot of your ( how should I proceed) descisions should be based on table dynamics and their perceved ranges.
I also take a flat ip line w/ AK sometimes as panicky stated to under rep a hand as strong as AK (i don't mean flat a limp btw)
You dont want to (what becomes) predictably 3bet your big hands all the time.
It will become far too exploitable . Congrats on your 4th pl. That flip as the shorty was all you could hope for.

Old
Fri Jan 06, 2012, 02:54 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanickyPoker View Post
You could call preflop instead of 3betting. You could check back the flop instead of cbetting. There are a lot of modifications you could make, and your course of action really depends on your table. I think your fold here was good, although I prefer just calling preflop. If you call preflop, you lower your variance, underrep you hand (which is useful if you flop top/top), and give yourself the option to 4bet-backraise if somebody particularly aggressive decides to squeeze.
your right man

good analysis sir

im really so aggressive with big hands i don't like to slowplay big hands so i ould take down the pot after the flop that's i always do but sometimes i should have just call see the flop

good good

lesson learned

Old
Fri Jan 06, 2012, 07:46 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Marvin,

Interesting spot at the beginning of a tourney.

Preflop: A player from mid position puts in a std opening raise to 3BB before you. If it were me in that situation, I'm most likely just calling their raise. AK is a hand with a lot of potential, but it's not a made hand yet. Also, there are a number of players yet to act and since the tourney just started, most likely there are not many, if any, reads on them yet. Due to this, I'd call thier raise to 60 for pot control.

Flop: 3-way flop, in position, with three unders on the board. Both opps check. With a raise and a 3-bet preflop that both opps called, they had to have liked their hand and could easily be ahead at this point. Due to not hitting the flop, I'd check behind and see the turn card for free here.
If everyone had flatted preflop, for example, I'd be more likely to try and make a bet to take the pot down here, but not after a 3-bet and two calls.
When the original preflop raiser raises again here after a bet and a call, I like the fold. They could be doing this as a bluff, but more likely have some sort of made hand and any pair is ahead of AK at this point.

Turn: a card that puts multiple draws out there (flush and straight, or could make a straight). The third opp shoves and the original preflop raiser folds. With that, I would have put the third opp possibly on 77 (or another set) and the original preflop raiser on Ax or a smaller pair that missed a set.

The fold to the raise on the flop, as you did, is the play that I would have made in that situation.

Good luck at the tables

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 06, 2012, 08:13 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2011
I think you need to forget about the whole 'how to play AK' thing. There is no specific way to play a hand, it depends on a lot more than just your holding. Consider the dynamic, table image, your image, position, stack sizes etc.

Looking at the blinds, this at the very beginning of the tournament without a HUD or notes on the opener you can't really have a solid read yet. You make a 3bet here after an UTG+2 open. Is this is to narrow the field?

3 way to the flop, pocket pairs and big broadway are definitely in their ranges, if they hold even a small pocket pair then that flop is pretty much as good as it gets. It will probably be best to check back the flop, a lot of big pocket pairs would on such a dry board and you sometimes have the best hand. If it checks around again then you can bet the turn for information.

It's probably best to just flat pre readless, keeps the pot small and we're very deep - 3BB's is nothing at the moment.

Last edited by KyeBuff; Fri Jan 06, 2012 at 08:26 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com