Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

Cowboy challege RULES

Old
Cowboy challege RULES - Fri Jan 06, 2012, 05:51 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
7 ---- Awarding of the Step One prize:
Once the results have been verified, players will be informed via PM that they have successfully completed the challenge. During the first week of the subsequent month, (February for the January challenge), the successfull canidates wil be listed in the official thread. The final posting will be to announce the winners.

Read more: Official Rules for the Cowboy's Challenge! - PokerSchoolOnline Forum http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/forum/showthread.php?39095-Official-Rules-for-the-Cowboy-s-Challenge%21#ixzz1iil8DCVk

How do you verify?
Do you go on other sites to verify?
If so, those that have their stats hidden, does it mean they can not participate?
Do you trust those sites that they didn't forget any games?
Because most advertise that they are 95% accurate
Would a PokerStars audit do?
By posting all the requirements in a thread (game #) is that enough info for you to do your verification?

Just asking in case others wanted to know

Old
Fri Jan 06, 2012, 07:52 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2010
Hey Sandy great questions. I verify two ways. First I use poker pro labs which I have never found to be wrong and I use the tourney id to request the games from PS directly this is the reason I need to see the tourney id.
Regarding hiding stats, you may notice that the report thread is based on a staking thread. It is typically the responsibilty of the horse to ensure the accuracy of the report and I have never seen a stake yet that allows someone that hides the results. With that being said I'm not sure why someone thats hides their results would then post same results on a thread where a prize is awarded but if that report can verify the thread and it is provided by PokerStars that is acceptable.

If you have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to ask!

Old
Fri Jan 06, 2012, 08:16 PM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
Nice work with posting the rules as a sticky Cowboy, this will make things easier for everyone and should serve to avoid any confusion in the future.

Interesting that you have now decided to award tickets to the highest ROI if there are more than three qualifiers, as opposed to drawing from a hat. Any reason for this?

It is great to see how this challenge has taken off recently, with so many runners in January and now this official sticky. IMO this challenge is one of the best things in PSO, it offers a goal and a go-to-game, and requires a certain amount of discipline to complete. All theses things help my game immensely, so thank you Cowboy.

Old
Fri Jan 06, 2012, 08:37 PM
(#4)
Hello Swaxwell,

I'm glad you like the sticky and I am happy that is much easier to find for everyone willing to take the challenge! This challenge started out as a bankroll builder as many know but I was taking it too casually. Drawing the names from a Cowboy hat was a casual way to do it and I was not giving this enough professional attention as this is a prize given by PSO through PokerStars. I assumed people were not questioning my integrity but whether they do or don't it is clear to me that using a method that anyone can calculate is the best way to go!

I hope this helps and I thank you for your compliment!

Old
Fri Jan 06, 2012, 09:58 PM
(#5)
Since: Dec 2010
ChromeStar
yep its getting big time!!
now i got to focus on increasing the ROI too!

gl y all

Old
Sun Jan 08, 2012, 02:27 AM
(#6)
“Like the Battle of the Planets, this 100-game challenge must be for consecutive games at the same level.” 19honu62. Official Rules for the Cowboy's Challenge!

Does this mean that if at some point during the month I decided to play an MTT/Sit n go at a different level to that of my challenge before I have completed my 100 games, then my challenge is forfeited?

If the answer is yes then this is a new requirement that challengers should take note of.

Old
Sun Jan 08, 2012, 02:38 AM
(#7)
Since: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaxwell View Post
“Like the Battle of the Planets, this 100-game challenge must be for consecutive games at the same level.” 19honu62. Official Rules for the Cowboy's Challenge!

Does this mean that if at some point during the month I decided to play an MTT/Sit n go at a different level to that of my challenge before I have completed my 100 games, then my challenge is forfeited?

If the answer is yes then this is a new requirement that challengers should take note of.
I am sure Cowboy will confirm this is NOT the case Swaxwell. Only your games at the buy-in level you have stated your intent for will count for the challenge. You can also play any other games you like at different buy-ins and they will not be a part of the challenge and won't affect it. Just make sure you include all your games at your chosen challenge buy-in level from the point you state your intent.

You should note that you can take the challenge several times each month if you like, either consecutive attempts at the same buy in level, or concurrently at different buy-ins. So if you are playing a lot of 45/90 $0.25 sitngos, and also plenty of $1.50 STTs, you can run two challenges side by side. Just state your intent for each buy in level.

Good luck

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Old
Sun Jan 08, 2012, 03:34 AM
(#8)
You may well be right Ed, but it does state that the games must be consecutive. Either way I think the quoted sentence is a bit ambiguous, so a clarification will be of benefit to everyone.

Old
Sun Jan 08, 2012, 04:16 AM
(#9)
Since: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaxwell View Post
You may well be right Ed, but it does state that the games must be consecutive. Either way I think the quoted sentence is a bit ambiguous, so a clarification will be of benefit to everyone.
consecutive games at the same level as per your earlier quote from rules.

It seems clear to me, but as I said - I'm sure Cowboy will confirm

Good luck

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Old
Sun Jan 08, 2012, 04:23 AM
(#10)
Also there is no mention in the sticky about 50fifties and other types of games that were previously not allowed. So are these games now allowed or not?

Sorry to be so pedantic, but we might as well get this right to save hassle down the line.

Old
Sun Jan 08, 2012, 08:25 AM
(#11)
Hey Swaxwell thank you for the keen eye!

I have edited the rule 2B to reflect that fifty fifty and the KO's earned from a knockout do not count.
In addition the games must be consecutive at the same level and you can play any other game at any other level you like without forfeiting the challenge. I choose not to edit that part as I beleive that is pretty clear.
This challenge has always been intended for 2 things! To build your bankroll and to have some fun competing against each other for bragging rights. It was running long before I was able to secure prizes from PSO and I beleive it continues to meet both those 2 original goals.
I also fully recognise the need for clarity and I am always open to suggestions and to any way it can be improved. I am very pleased with not only how people are making profits but the way in which it has taken off.
This is not an easy challenge! Doubling your original buy ins in 100 games is tough to do at any buy in level so do not feel upset if you don't qualify but are making profits.

Thanks for the questions and keep them coming if you are unsure!

Old
Sun Jan 08, 2012, 02:32 PM
(#12)
HU games allowed or not?

Old
Sun Jan 08, 2012, 04:41 PM
(#13)
Swaxwell you are a keener for sure and I have now updated to note that the games must be at least 9 players.

Thanks again

Old
Sun Jan 08, 2012, 08:35 PM
(#14)
Lol Cowboy you will be all the more grateful some time down the line I'm sure!

Also Mods, I think this thread should be made a sticky below the first one. It contains some good info and can serve as a place where new challengers can ask their questions regarding the rules of the challenge. Having said that the rules ought to be pretty clear by now!

Old
Mon Jan 09, 2012, 02:52 PM
(#15)
Since: Oct 2010
Cris (19honu62) got some doubts regarding my 1st 10 tourney done on Jan 1st, don't know if it's already 1st on eastern time because my time on my software is MSK which is 1 hour ahead here in kuwait. in OPR all my 1st 10 games fall on Jan 1st but when i check on my hand history from my data base it still Dec 31. so where i gonna base the actual date?

thanks,

joseph

Old
Mon Jan 09, 2012, 03:06 PM
(#16)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PINOY_HITMAN View Post
Cris (19honu62) got some doubts regarding my 1st 10 tourney done on Jan 1st, don't know if it's already 1st on eastern time because my time on my software is MSK which is 1 hour ahead here in kuwait. in OPR all my 1st 10 games fall on Jan 1st but when i check on my hand history from my data base it still Dec 31. so where i gonna base the actual date?

thanks,

joseph
Hi Joe,

I guess the correct course of action would be to PM 19honu62 and ask him for some clarification on the matter.

As far as I'm aware he uses PokerProlabs to verify the results of the challenges.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jan 09, 2012, 03:34 PM
(#17)
Since: Aug 2010
Why don't KOs count? Are you including your own bounty in the buy-in? If so I think that the bounties collected should count as well.

Just another $0.02

Old
Mon Jan 09, 2012, 03:35 PM
(#18)
BronzeStar
sites do not track them

Old
Mon Jan 09, 2012, 04:37 PM
(#19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19honu62 View Post
I verify two ways. First I use poker pro labs which I have never found to be wrong and I use the tourney id to request the games from PS directly this is the reason I need to see the tourney id.

Doesn't Pokerstars Keep these stats?

Old
Mon Jan 09, 2012, 05:08 PM
(#20)
Hey Joker thank you for asking about bounties. PokerStars does not track any bounty that I can track either through a result at Poker Pro Labs or through me requesting the tourney info.

One of the main reasons to have a verification process is so that anyone can request a tourney id and recieve the results. I am very happy to say that I have several people pm'ing me about errors they see in threads and they are a huge assistance to me.
Out of the over 4000 games tracked to date I would estimate that less than 10% have been wrong which just speaks to the integrity of the members we have here.
I honestly beleive that any error that has been made to date is unintentional and when the person has been contacted they have re checked it themselves and corrected it.

Remember this is a fun competition that PSO has been generous enough to provide prizes for. Please continue to play and post and help as the more we play the more prizes I may be able to secure!

Giddy Up!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com