Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Was this a dumb call?

Old
Was this a dumb call? - Fri Jan 06, 2012, 08:15 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
Here is a hand I played where it just felt right. I knew it was risky but with my stack size I took the chance. What do you guys think, it was one of those gut calls that felt good all the way.

Last edited by Johnny Oak; Fri Jan 06, 2012 at 08:59 PM..

Old
Fri Jan 06, 2012, 10:39 PM
(#2)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
*** moved thread to more appropriate forum since member wants hand analyzed JWK24***

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 06, 2012, 10:45 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
i like the reraise and was called so you have to be cautious

i like the cbet to continue your aggression but definitely you have to fold to a C/R

super insta fold to C/R your 55 is so weak there is no way your ahead to a C/R

the opp is already giving you info because your raising him but the problem you didn't get the message.

Old
Fri Jan 06, 2012, 10:52 PM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2010
Devoid of reads, I'd say it's a bad call. If you think this guy would have a ton of non-ace hands in his limp/calling range that would checkraise this particular flop, then sure, it could be a decent call. It's really just a function of the size of the guy's bluffing range. If his bluffing range is bigger than his value range, then call away. Against randoms, that usually won't be the case, though.

Are you sure you didn't just put the guy on a bluff because he checkraised a wet flop? I think that when people get checkraised, they naturally look for reasons to believe it's a bluff. This board was ridiculously coordinated, so you had plenty of ways to convince yourself that the guy must be bluffing. Straight draws, flush draws... you even beat middle pair. This is my favourite flop in the world when I flop a set, because I know that if my opponent has an ace (even good regs), I'm almost always getting paid off, and I'm getting paid off easily.

Old
Fri Jan 06, 2012, 11:25 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Johnny,

Thanks for taking the time to post this hand. In the future, it's better to post any tournament hand that you have questions about in this forum.

Preflop: you have a small pocket pair on the bubble, as the table big stack. UTG flats and it's folded to the button and make a standard raise to 800 (3BB+1BB for the limper). Anytime you use a standard raise helps to conceal your hand, which can help you later in the hand. Depending on any reads that I have on the other players, I would either std raise or flat. Raising will help to define the opps hand better, while flatting can be used for pot control and setmining. With the larger stack at the table, I would most often raise here, to try and get more info about the opponent's hand. The limper calls.

Flop: A 3 4 with a flush draw. The opp checks and you c-bet 1200 (59% of the pot). The sizing of this is good because it would price the opp out of a flush or straight draw (flush draw has 9 outs times 4% or 36% equity, a combo draw has 9 outs for the flush and 3 more for an inside straight or 12 outs, which is 48% equity).
The opp now shoves on you. The opp limp/called preflop, then check/raised the flop. The range that I would put the opp on here is a small set or Ax with a mid/low kicker, 2 pair or worst case, a straight.
For the call, the hand needs to have a higher equity than the chips put into the pot. To call is an extra 2905 into a pot of 10235 (28.4%).
If the opp has a pair of aces, 2 pair or a set, there are four outs to the straight (the four twos) and two more to a set of 5's... 6 outs.. IF all of those are true outs (if opp slowplayed AA, then there are only 4 outs). Using the quick outs/equity calculation of 4% for the flop or 2% on the turn, 6 outs on the flop times 4% is 24%, if you only have 4 outs, then it's 16%. Remember, the opp could also hit a better hand too.

If the opp has Ax, then you have to put 28.4% into a pot that you have 24% equity in, so since it's a small negative number (-4.4%), it's a marginal fold, to thier shove.

With the exact hands from pokerstove, you have 26.3% equity on the flop, so calling would be a -2.1%EV... a marginal fold.

It's always a good thing to hit your outs on the turn or river
Good luck at the tables!

John

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 07, 2012, 12:17 AM
(#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
With the exact hands from pokerstove, you have 26.3% equity on the flop, so calling would be a -2.1%EV... a marginal fold.
Yeah, but it was red fives. That's one my friend's favorite hands.

Last edited by Johnny Oak; Sat Jan 07, 2012 at 12:33 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com