Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Early game AQ facing pre-flop shove

Old
Early game AQ facing pre-flop shove - Sat Jan 07, 2012, 02:31 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
all taken from .25c 45 man games. With no read at all on what they are shoving with such a big stack, it safer to fold right?

77+, AJs+, AJo+, KQs, KQo for AQs to be even

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Old
Sat Jan 07, 2012, 02:45 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
Folding is fine in all of these hands. I agree with it.

Old
Sat Jan 07, 2012, 04:56 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi Keldraco.

These hands are all pukes really. I would make a note of these guys each time you them them do this. So next time you see them doing it again, in a more marginal spot you can make a more accurate range for them. The good thing about it is sometimes you'll have a QQ+ and can just call these guys and bust em

The problem with all of these hands is the opponents are allin (or effectively allin hand 1) so the only equity we have is showdown equity, meaning we have to win at showdown. Also there is very little money in the pot before the shove meaning there's no dead money in there to sweeten the pot. Our equity is easy to calculate as you have done vs particular ranges. In flat equity terms we can probably call each time and we are probably even.

The reason I wouldn't call though is this guys are bad. Real bad. Our prize equity vs them when we enter this tournament is way better than 50/50. With a good ROI it's probably more like 30/70.

Therefore calling them here with 50/50 equity in a pot is really giving them their best shot at beating you.

I think you're doing the right thing here, looking for a spot where we dominate them. It shows great patience to fold big hands vs these guys. Great job!

Keep it up
Andy

Quad Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 07, 2012, 05:19 AM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
100% fold i will call only with QQ KK AA

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com