Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

What would you do?

Old
What would you do? - Sat Jan 07, 2012, 04:20 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011

hand #10 in a 27man SnG. Note of interest: KootUA just had his aces cracked by a K7off who turned a straight, and the next hand he 4-bet shoved allin. Could be a tilt-shove, could be a real hand, who knows. Then this hand.

The question is about the flop - KootUA pushes, gets 1 caller behind and then I am to act...

--------------------------------------------------------------
keep up with my poker semi-career: ov3rsight.blog.com

Old
Sat Jan 07, 2012, 07:13 AM
(#2)
Since: May 2011
I'd probably fold. I find it unlikely that ericallan107 would call such a big bet (preflop and on the flop) without a hand with showdown value, be it a pocket pair, Kx, flush draw, or better. Either way, you're pretty much drawing to an ace, and even if you hit it, you might not have the best hand.

Old
Sat Jan 07, 2012, 11:01 AM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
early in the tournament no business raising here in the SB w ATs fold PRE instantly - I will not even complete my small blind

flop - definitely fold

Old
Sat Jan 07, 2012, 11:17 AM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2010
snap fold for me,

i would just have called pre, btw.

Old
Sat Jan 07, 2012, 02:33 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Ov3rsight!

This is a type of situation that you will run into many times early in tournaments.

Preflop: UTG+1 (that could be on tilt and is very useful info, THANKS!) makes a std raise. It's called by two other opps before it gets back to the SB. With A 10 suited here, since it's early and we have an opp that could be on tilt, I would just call the raise here. I would call, due to the fact that the opp possibly on tilt might just be looking for another reason to shove (as they did the previous hand). I don't want to give them the opportunity. Also, since in the SB, I don't want to play a large pot out of position without a made hand. A 10 suited has potential, but is not a made hand.

Flop: 2 3 K with two hearts (a total miss). The opp that could be on tilt shoves and is called by the button. The button opp should have been watching and sees that the shover could be on tilt too. That means that they should have some sort of made hand here (if I were in their position, I'm making a call of a tilting shover with top pair or better). With only a suited A 10 here without a flush draw possible, I'm mucking here. I may or may not be ahead of the person on tilt, but the button that calls the all-in should have a made hand and any made hand is ahead of ace high.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 07, 2012, 02:46 PM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Hi Ov3rsight,

I would mostly just call preflop. You have a hand that plays pretty well postflop, and can flop a lot of strong draws. You do most likely have the best hand at the moment, but if you 3-bet you mostly keep only bigger aces and pocket pairs around. Possibly some suited connectors too, and hands like JTs, but not a lot of smaller aces and hands that can stack off to you. You're also building a big pot out of position and reopening the betting to the original raiser. If he 4-bets then what? Is he wild enough that you can get it in with ATs?? That's some pretty crazy stuff. I'd much rather call the 40 chips and try to see a flop. And I don't see this working as a squeeze play either.

If I call preflop, the flop is an easy check/fold. This doesn't hit your range so you can't represent much by leading out, and against a shove and a call, with just AT high and the wrong flush draw there is no sense in sticking around. If instead your hand was it would be a push. WIth a pair and the nut flush draw you would have a ton of equity here even if you did somehow run into a set. Heck, the nut flush draw alone is plenty. You find yourself against like here a lot anyway. (which is favored over your hand). But your is in the wrong place right now. You missed the flop, oh well.

That's if you called preflop. As played, You can C-bet the flop, representing AK, but you're about priced in to call if koot shoves. Because of this I still prefer check/folding. Sometimes it's okay to just give up on the flop even after raising pre.

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 07, 2012, 03:38 PM
(#7)
Since: Dec 2011
quote: I would call, due to the fact that the opp possibly on tilt might just be looking for another reason to shove (as they did the previous hand). I don't want to give them the opportunity.

I actually wouldn't mind if he did, since I'm not putting him on a pair just because he didn't raise. That means he's bound to have a weaker holding than I have, so I wouldn't mind calling a shove from him...

On the flop, "tiltguy" shoves for less than the pot, and gets called. At that point -looking back- I definitely should have folded, but for some donk reason I decided to call. The caller showed KQ, and tiltguy showed A9. Fortunately I turned an ace to take it down. looking back, the one good thing I take from the hand (aside from the chips) is that my read on tiltguy was correct, he was playing a weak ace.

-------------------------------------------------------------
keeping up with my poker semi-career: ov3rsight.blog.com

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com