Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

tilt-shove or not?

Old
tilt-shove or not? - Sat Jan 07, 2012, 06:01 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011

rigatoni called an open-shove from TRASURTIS the hand before with A7 and lost to KK. The very next hand I'm in the BB with AJoff, certainly playable. But rigatoni open-shoves from early position. Now I tend to be very weary of people who open-shove after losing a big pot. I tend to think they're tilting a bit and just will do whatever to win a pot. Yet I call these shoves very rarely, and in this case, not even with the AJ. Or should I have called it?

--------------------------------------------------------------
keeping track of my poker semi-career: ov3rsight.blog.com

Old
Sat Jan 07, 2012, 11:26 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
even when he's tilting he can still bust you with any 2 insta muck and wait for a better spot

good fold

Old
Sat Jan 07, 2012, 12:15 PM
(#3)
Since: May 2011
You have about 65% equity at best if he has two unpaired undercards. Not enough to risk your tournament life this early. I'd still fold even if he had 72o and I knew it.

Old
Sat Jan 07, 2012, 06:40 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Ov3rsight,

Good odds question in this hand.

Preflop, a player that may be on tilt shoves almost 15BB preflop. To call this, it will take 1360 more chips into a pot that will be 2970 (45.8%).
If the opp is literally playing ATC, then AJ off has 63% equity. However, the opp could be shoving a much smaller range here.
Let's take for example a range of any pair, any broadway or any A (since the opp had just played A7). That lowers AJ's equity to 57%.
If the opp's range is a top 12% hand (suited broadway connectors, suited aces, AQ+ or pairs), then AJ's equity is down to 45.2%.... which means that AJ is slightly behind.

If I were playing this hand, I'm folding it preflop. AJ may be ahead, but with a 17 BB stack early, I would wait until I could find a better situation to get my chips into (knowing that I had the best hand, especially in position, or be the first to shove).

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com