Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

played my hand poorly-11R 70k

Old
played my hand poorly-11R 70k - Sat Jan 07, 2012, 06:53 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

i should have shoved

this hand is so crucial

how to play this right?

Old
Sun Jan 08, 2012, 12:08 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Marvin,

I don't think you needed to shove here. Here's why....

Preflop: std open raise and called by the button.

Flop: KK2 with two spades. I like this board for a c-bet with a mid pair. Yes, the opp could have a king, but with a check, I don't find out anything out about the opp's hand.

Turn: 3 of diamonds, which should be a blank. If I bet the flop, then I can either bet for value or check the turn for pot control if the opp calls the flop bet. If the opp was playing loose, I like value betting again. If the opp was playing tight, I'd check for pot control.
However, if I'm the opp, after a check from the preflop raiser on both the flop and the turn, I'm betting the turn here almost every time, with or without a hand.

River: If the opp calls a bet on both the flop and the turn, then I'm checking the river here. With the way the hand played out (opp could easily have made the bet on the turn with air to try and take it down there) if I put the opp on a spade draw or K, which is hard to tell here due to not betting the flop or turn, then I fold.. otherwise I call. A read on the opp would help here.

I don't think that there had to be a shove here, but a value bet on the flop and turn would probably have taken down the pot, as the preflop raise then two value bets reps a K in this hand and 66 would normally not call all three of those bets.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 08, 2012, 12:06 PM
(#3)
lesson learned - thank you sir

Old
Sun Jan 08, 2012, 12:08 PM
(#4)
just a follow up question

i just review the hand and i remember not cbetting here because i know my opp will definitely float
because he's a good player

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com