Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Calling the check raise with the flush draw

Old
Calling the check raise with the flush draw - Sun Jan 08, 2012, 05:24 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
Hand 108 of a $1.50 27man SnG. I'm 1/9.

I'm chip leader with QJs. I make a standard 3x raise, get 1 caller who is out of position. Nice flop, two overcards and a great flush draw. He checks, I bet little more than half pot, and he min raises where he should have pushed. he's leaving himself with 1 BB. Falling in my mind isn't an option here. I need to put 1400 more into this pot, giving me 25% pot odds, where I'm getting 36% odds to hit my flush.

Correct train of thought?

-------------------------------------------------
keeping up with my poker semi-career: ov3rsight.blog.com

Old
Sun Jan 08, 2012, 02:34 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Ov3rsight!

I see you're learning

Standard raise preflop is called by UTG that limped to open.
The flop is three undercards, but gives QJs a flush draw. With two overcards and a flush draw, while QJ is not ahead currently, if all 15 outs are good (Q or J also wins the hand), then QJ has 60% hand equity and is the favorite. Due to this, I like the value bet here.

The opp then min raises and I agree 100% with you that if they were going to raise, the opp should have shoved. To see about the call in this situation, I would need to put in 1420 (assuming the opp will call their last 220 chips) into a pot of 7365 (19%). If all 15 outs are good outs, then QJs has 60% equity, if the Q and J are not good outs, then I have 9 outs to the flush for 36%.
The hand equity is much larger than the amount into the pot, so this is call (actually raise to get the opp's last 220 chips).

Your thought process here is correct.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com