Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

ATs UTG

Old
ATs UTG - Sun Jan 08, 2012, 06:38 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
final 2 table .25c 45man
Table are tight in general including myself. so far no one seem to be re-stealing yet. i actually consider raising to 2.5BB my standard and call any short stack shove. Opinion?

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Old
Sun Jan 08, 2012, 06:58 AM
(#2)
Since: Dec 2011
If it's a tight table, the AT is definitely worth a shot at the pot. Problem is the shove that may or may not happen. The short stacks are playing 6BB stacks, so thety're basically gonna get it in with anything half decent, Kx, Ax, any pair, maybe even Qx. But, if uit is tight, the Kx mght even be at the bottom of their range.

I don't like the 2.5x raise here though, with the antes and blinds in, you're gioving anyone great odds to call or steal.
I think that once you make the 3x raise, you can't fold to a shove of another 3x. If you're opening for 2.5x, can you fold to a 800 reraise when you're getting 3 to 1 pot odds?

-----------------------------------------------
keeping track of my poker semi-career: ov3rsight.blog.com

Old
Sun Jan 08, 2012, 07:22 AM
(#3)
if i raise 500 and face that shove i have to call with 2.3 to 1 odd

Old
Sun Jan 08, 2012, 08:00 AM
(#4)
Since: Dec 2011
That's the decision you have to make preflop imho. The moment you decide to open that pot, I think you already need to know what you're going to do if the short stack shoves.

-----------------------------------------------
keeping track of my poker semi-career: ov3rsight.blog.com

Old
To resteal or not to resteal? - Sun Jan 08, 2012, 10:56 AM
(#5)
If the purpose of your opening bet is to gather information on what other hands might be out there...then hindsight is not as big a factor here because the outcome may have been different. The short stack might have folded. If the button or binds shoved back at you, then I would feel better about calling. But if someone in earlier position pushes, they may have your A dominated, or have a good pair. It was probably a good fold on your part.

A 2.5x raise doesn't make sense here. A bet should serve a purpose (value, protection, bluff, information or a combination of these four.) A shove from UTG may smell like AA or KK, but you risk that someone actually may have AA or KK. Ov3sight's assessment is right, best to have a plan pre-flop. To push from the highjack with no earlier raisers or limper, I would suspect that the short stack player had something in ATs range as well.

Then again, sometimes its better to play the player and not the odds.

Old
Sun Jan 08, 2012, 11:53 AM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2010
Fold UTG, maybe open from the HJ, definitely from the CO imo.

Old
Sun Jan 08, 2012, 12:42 PM
(#7)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanickyPoker View Post
Fold UTG, maybe open from the HJ, definitely from the CO imo.
agree

you only have 15BB so i would use it for steal and resteal and not playing ATs OOP if someone reraise you and you'd call that's your tournament life right there and it won't look good your definitely behind

Old
Sun Jan 08, 2012, 12:46 PM
(#8)
yes you guy are right. i may have felt the same way too at that moment and folded. my stack was not big enough to make this play and anyone who shove on top of me definitely had me beat. thanks.

Old
Sun Jan 08, 2012, 04:02 PM
(#9)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Keldraco!

I like you play here.

If A10s is opened and the table is playing tight, then any hand that will call/raise will most likely be ahead and from UTG, the whole table is yet to make a decision. If an opp does 3-bet an open raise, then I'd also be playing for most likely my whole stack, knowing that I've got the worst hand.
Due to this, I'm going to fold the A10 here and look for a better spot.

One thing that I would start to do if the table was playing very tight, would be to open up more in position to steal. A10s from late position, I'd absolutely open with at a tight table and shove, especially if the table was tight/passive.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com