Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

bubble mistake

Old
bubble mistake - Sun Jan 08, 2012, 07:08 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
.25c 45 man final 2 table near bubble
i think i made mistake here. BB has been stealing a lot after more and more players were busted. i just feel weakness in this all-in and almost instant call. Turn up to be a coin flip near bubble. This is the 1st time he 3bet shove all-in if i can remember correctly. But 24BB 3bet shove over such a small raise... i dont know.

opponent stats--(94)23/21, no steal on EP & MP. (9/17) in LP and (4/4) in blinds. 3bet (1/22), Fold to 3bet (6/7)

my stats---(112)17/14, no steal EP & MP. (6/12) in LP, (2/4) in blinds. 3bet (2/30), fold to 3bet (2/3)

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Last edited by Keldraco; Sun Jan 08, 2012 at 07:14 AM..

Old
Sun Jan 08, 2012, 07:15 AM
(#2)
Since: Dec 2011
Hi

I'm not too fond of the minraise preflop. If you wanna take the pot, bet a little more. When he shoves, I'm mucking it myself, too many hands he can have me beat with, and near the bubble, I'm not calling allin hoping for a race.

-------------------------------------------------------
keeping track of my poker semi-career: ov3rsight.blog.com

Old
Sun Jan 08, 2012, 01:47 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ov3rsight View Post
Hi

I'm not too fond of the minraise preflop. If you wanna take the pot, bet a little more. When he shoves, I'm mucking it myself, too many hands he can have me beat with, and near the bubble, I'm not calling allin hoping for a race.

-------------------------------------------------------
keeping track of my poker semi-career: ov3rsight.blog.com
agree

3BB should be the correct amount

this is my take, if your going to call anyway i like to shove it first

if you just raise and your opp 3bet you all in with almost the same stack as yours i will muck it. even if your opp just min raise i will fold

Old
Sun Jan 08, 2012, 03:11 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2010
I've been seeing this type of huge overbet a lot lately, and it often is a small pair. The thinking on this type of play is that there are very few hands that can call. It usually happens after someone else has opened the pot, so the player who shoves picks up the blinds and the raise. It works quite often, but if you do get called at best a small pair is a race, at worst it's a huge dog.

I make a note of players that will do this, there's quite a few of them around.

Old
Sun Jan 08, 2012, 03:31 PM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2010
I think the preflop open is fine. It might get people to call you instead of folding, but that's not so bad given the strength of your hand.

I'd be opening here with the intent to call the SB, and fold to the other two players. Calling off 24bb with AQ is on the loose side, but it's workable if the BB has been 3bet stealing a lot, although I'd still be inclined to fold because it's the bubble. Beat up the short stack, and avoid the big stacks without a monster holding.

Old
Sun Jan 08, 2012, 03:35 PM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by joy7108 View Post
I've been seeing this type of huge overbet a lot lately
Ya, after the holidays, I could swear it's been like the players from the higher levels have been trickling down to the lower buy-ins and the games have changed. They're waaaaaaayyyyyy more aggro - I had to add stats to my HUD - 3bet %, steal % from the button, cut-off, and small blind. Have to find the one for ... is it called 'donk-betting'? When people oop toss a small bet out every single time, irrespective of their hand?

Nobody ever folds any more.

Was going to add an entry into my blog sometime on the ongoing changes - it's the biggest thing to change my STT's other than my downswing. The other day I got two of these at one table, so I was finally able to see how two people with the same game deal with each other ... lots of fireworks!! Wasn't just maniacal either - there was strategy involved too ... fascinating to watch!

Old
Sun Jan 08, 2012, 05:32 PM
(#7)
Since: Jul 2010
Hey Keldraco nice to see you getting deep in these things!

Okay on this hand I need to point out something. A 699 bet first to act is not a min raise and in fact is the perfect size bet here for the simple fact that if we have to open/fold we can get away cheaper.
Are we actually playing for stacks against this guy? We would auto call off a smaller stack but I don't think we are here.

Giddy Up!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com