Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

RSI or similar

Old
RSI or similar - Sun Jan 08, 2012, 11:23 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
I've been playing a lot over the past week, first time I've played regularly, and now having to take time off as my forearms (upper) are burning from mouse and keyboard use. I have read around a little asked about this elsewhere and it looks like some people get this and some don't and when you get it it means there is a limit to how long you can play. It may just be that my chair and desk are at the wrong height (I know the chair is too low for the desk - unadjustable). But it may not help with a higher chair.

So is it true that some people just can't play long hours without pain and are limited to a couple of hours a day?

Old
Sun Jan 08, 2012, 12:45 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi jamster,

Your body posture certainly can contribute to or even cause the problems over prolonged times. I'd suggest reading up on ergonomics and making sure your chair is at the right height, has good back support, etc. Here's a link that might help: http://www.ergonomics-info.com/ergonomic-pictures.html

GL,

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 08, 2012, 01:26 PM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2011
Be careful, some people have been crippled from overuse of computers, especially the mouse. Did you know you can set up keyboard shortcuts ("hotkeys") to reduce reliance on the mouse?

"October 2011

* Hotkeys (Beta) – This feature allows you to configure keyboard/mouse shortcuts for various game actions. You can configure your PokerStars hotkeys by going to 'Options' > 'Hotkey Settings'.
Hotkey actions include: Fold, Check, Bet / Raise, Set Bet amount to X% / BB / All in (with the option of whether to bet or just set the bet amount), Activate next / previous table and more. You can also control which table uses the hotkey, either the one that is active, or the one that is under the mouse pointer. You can even specify a custom color for a table border that highlights the table that is receiving the hotkey!"

Source:

http://www.pokerstars.com/poker/room...software-news/

Thanks for being part of PSO, and Best of Luck at the Tables

Ed (flophitter)

Last edited by flophitter; Sun Jan 08, 2012 at 01:32 PM..

Old
Sun Jan 08, 2012, 04:33 PM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
Hi jamster,

Your body posture certainly can contribute to or even cause the problems over prolonged times. I'd suggest reading up on ergonomics and making sure your chair is at the right height, has good back support, etc. Here's a link that might help: http://www.ergonomics-info.com/ergonomic-pictures.html

GL,

Dave
Thanks, I'm getting a proper adjustable chair and will get a proper set up with the desk and go from there

I'm looking at the mice with trackers and wondering if you can be as quick and accurate with them as a standard mouse? Anyone with experience of them?

Old
Sun Jan 08, 2012, 08:18 PM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flophitter View Post
Be careful, some people have been crippled from overuse of computers, especially the mouse. Did you know you can set up keyboard shortcuts ("hotkeys") to reduce reliance on the mouse?

"October 2011

* Hotkeys (Beta) – This feature allows you to configure keyboard/mouse shortcuts for various game actions. You can configure your PokerStars hotkeys by going to 'Options' > 'Hotkey Settings'.
Hotkey actions include: Fold, Check, Bet / Raise, Set Bet amount to X% / BB / All in (with the option of whether to bet or just set the bet amount), Activate next / previous table and more. You can also control which table uses the hotkey, either the one that is active, or the one that is under the mouse pointer. You can even specify a custom color for a table border that highlights the table that is receiving the hotkey!"

Source:

http://www.pokerstars.com/poker/room...software-news/

Thanks for being part of PSO, and Best of Luck at the Tables

Ed (flophitter)
I've tried pokerstars hotkeys and they are buggy, often the table brought to the front will not be actioned by my hotkey. I just tried a few hands with play money and a table was brought to the front and my key actioned a fold on the table behind it, but a lot of the time the key does nothing.

I tried table ninja on trial and itt's not going to work with the tables tiled I keep getting confused as to which table i'm on when sngs are shorthanded and in 2 or more hands at once and it[s jumping all over the place. I can try to get used to having the tables cascaded, but can't imagine playing with tables stacked. If they are cascaded though I imagine when it's jumping between tables I can have a mental note of which table is where, not having to re-read each table for every round of betting.

I just read a post on a different small forum where a SNE elite grinder uses a game pad like an xbox controller, if I can get used to cascaded tables then I can use hotkeys and therefore a gamepad. I know from my mispent youth I can use a gamepad all day no problems!

Last edited by Jamster81; Sun Jan 08, 2012 at 08:27 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com