Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

What % of your stack warrants a call to an all in on a draw?

Old
What % of your stack warrants a call to an all in on a draw? - Sun Jan 08, 2012, 12:27 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
Ok, so I was recently playing in a live tournament and it was the middle stages of the tournament at this point. Everyone folds around the table and I call the big blind with a Q2 I have about 10k worth of chips and the big blinds has about 40-50k. Flop comes down QJ4. I check and the BB put in a minimum raise. Now there is about 2600 in the pot so I pushed all in. BB took a long time to make a decision and he eventually ends up calling with K10. He hits the A on the river and my tournament is done.

So was this the right call? If it wasn't how big of a stack should you have in this situation to make this call? Or should this call even ever be made?

Old
Sun Jan 08, 2012, 01:43 PM
(#2)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
*** moved to more appropriate forum as member has a ? about a hand JWK24***

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 08, 2012, 01:59 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
sorry to hear about the loss

what can we do

he have chips to call and he gambled

i dont know about math sorry

Old
Sun Jan 08, 2012, 08:07 PM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Cohen513 and welcome to the fourm!

Here's a link to a guide for new members that was put together by Dan, our new members coordinatior. It will help get you started to take advantage of everything on the site.

In the middle stages of a live tourney, I don't look at what my stack size is compared to the larger stacks at my table. I make a determination on when to open up my game based on how many BB's are left in my stack.
I try to play a tight-aggressive style in tournaments (my style), so I don't call very often. When I decide to play a hand, especially if I'm the first player to get into a pot, I try to always use a standard raise (either to 2.5BB or 3BB, depending on the size of the blinds). This helps to conceal the strength of my hand, as I do the same thing with AA or KQ or 78s. It helps to keep an opponent guessing as to what cards I'm playing.
I normally start to open up and play more hands when I get around 10-15BB left in my stack and I try to play more hands in position, than out of position.

Q2 is normally a hand that I'll pass on from basically any position other than if I'm in the BB and get to see the flop for free. When I open up and play more, I'll play pairs, aces, 2 broadway cards, suited connectors or if below 5BB, suited 1-gap cards (79s). I try to have possibilites of a possible straight and a flush, if I can.
Without knowing what the cost of a big blind is here, I can't say whether I would shove with top pair or not, but most likely, I would make a value bet here of about 1/2 to 2/3's the size of the pot. Shoving with Q2 here, there are many card combinations that can be ahead of you and I would not want to put all my chips in unless I knew I had the best hand.

Be sure to check out the courses, especially the MTT course and SNG course, as live tourneys will fit into one of these two categories.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jan 10, 2012, 11:41 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Thanks for the link! And much appreciated your analysis on my situation with Q2! I have changed up my game quite a bit after watching a few videos here on PSO and I am now also trying to play a tight aggressive style in tournaments. Please check out my other post about another hand I didnt play in a tournament and t hought I should. Thanks!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com