Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

I let him get there

Old
I let him get there - Tue Jan 10, 2012, 01:13 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
The river can be real ugly sometimes...

Still... I wasn't going to shove preflop with this, and I wasn't going to shove the flop. Yes, he didn't have the proper stack for setmining, but we're close to the bubble and my stack could survive losing the chips for the preflop call.

Anyways, he's never folding the turn here to a shove I guess, so I'm thinking there's no way I could have won this except for the shove on the flop. Correct?

------------------------------------------------------
keeping up with my poker semi-career: ov3rsight.blog.com

Old
Tue Jan 10, 2012, 01:27 PM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2011
I dont know if this guy was (cuttin loose) but i'm inclined to bet that flop smallish and hope he hit a K or under pair that doesnt believe my cbet.
Obviously after his ace falls he'll never gonna let go, but you dont know he hit.
I'd lead out again on the turn and either call an ai shove, or raise him ai at that point.
He hit one of 4 nh
My point is he's never seein the river w/o all his chips in there.
As played, let it go probably. Your under boat just sank....

Last edited by mtnestegg; Tue Jan 10, 2012 at 01:49 PM..

Old
Tue Jan 10, 2012, 01:28 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
i think it's time to let it go on the river

no need to call the river bet

definitely your opp got an A or any pair above 5's because of his 3.5BB raise PRE. his giving you a strong message

but the line you took is also the line I will take but the board doesn't helps sometimes.

i will also check the flop so that he can hit something on the turn or try to bluff me

the 3 K really put us in a bad situation because any pair above 5 we are doomed.

Old
Tue Jan 10, 2012, 03:51 PM
(#4)
Since: Dec 2011
I didn't see value in betting the flop. Unless he has a K he's never going to call a bet, so I figured I'd give him the chance to bluff at it. I think this was the one in 12 hands that he sucks out. The other 11, all his chips are mine because the were going in whatever hit the river. I doubt he was ever going to let go of AA KK...
The main reason I called the riverbet is because there's always a chance he'll try to bluff me off something representing the ace (he did raise PF) knowing any pocket pair I had was now counterfeited, and the fact that my stack could handle it if he did have the ace. At this level I have enough faith in my skills to know I can fight back, I'd still be 2nd in chips.

Later this tourney I managed to crawl back from a 4BB stack to finally finish 2nd. Bit of luck of course, but I'm really getting the hang of this level

------------------------------------------------------
keeping up with my poker semi-career: ov3rsight.blog.com

Old
Tue Jan 10, 2012, 07:55 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Ov3rsight!

Preflop, UTG opens to 3.5BB. Was this that opp's normal raise here? If not, it's notable, since it's out of character. If the opp was playing extremely tight and this is more than their std raise, then I'm going to muck here. If it's the std raise for the opp or they were playing very loose, then I like flatting here.

On the flop, I get bottom full house to a board of KK5. The opp checks and with bottom full house, I'm making a value bet here. Having a K is definitely within a preflop raiser's range and also a pocket pair above a 5 is within their range. If they have a draw at a higher full house, I want them to pay for the opportunity to draw.
When I make a value bet, Kx could also very easily come over the top with a shove and if so, I'm calling it. The opp could fold here too, which means that I would win the pot without risking another 3295 chips, which would happen if the opp shoves.

On the turn, when the opp bets, I'm shoving here every time. If the opp has AA, AK or K5, I'll start a new tourney.

As played, I'm folding the river. Ax or a pkt pair over 5's is well within the opp's range, and even though it's just under 20% of the pot to call, I'm saving my chips for a better situation.

I wouldn't have shoved the flop, but I definitely would make a value bet. A 10 should fold to it (may or may not), but Ax is most likely not folding period, if they don't fold on the flop.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com