Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

river - check/call or bet for value-big $11

Old
river - check/call or bet for value-big $11 - Tue Jan 10, 2012, 02:57 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
my opp is a good player a supernova player

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Old
Tue Jan 10, 2012, 04:06 PM
(#2)
Since: Dec 2011
I'm guessing this is pretty early goings?

Lessee - UTG+1 minraises, everyone folds. With the AQs I wouldn't mind a raise here to test the waters or build a pot, or give myself the chance to maybe steal the pot on the flop. Also, if we call we're out of position, and AQ plays godawful out of position. But, if he is a good player who's a little more advanced, he could be minraising with a good hand to induce that play from you. So perhaps a call would be best.

Flop is a complete miss, with just the two overcards left. Check, he bets 2/3 pot. At this point I might be inclined to give up. I'm basically drawing to 6 outs (A,Q) or a backdoor flush if the flop hit him. He could also be holding a small pair, with the same draw for me. But - a call.

Turn is an ace. Top pair with a good kicked, basically all that beats me now is a flopped set and AK, AJ. I doubt he could have some Ace rag that flopped 2 pair. You check it to him again, and he bets out again, little more than half pot. At this point, I would ponder a raise to see if he really has something or is just trying to bluff us. But, you call.

River's not so much fun. If he had played a weird hand like K5 he got there. But what are the odds. The good thing about the 5 is it didn't complete any flush/straight draw out there, so I'm thinking this is a great card. If we were best on the turn, we are still best. It goes check check, which I don't mind. I'm not leading out here for a 3rd of my stack and run the risk he shoves on us giving us a very hard decision to make. If we check, he might fire again, and I'd be willing to call 1200 or so with this hand. But if we bet 1200 and shoves, I'm not sure I wanna be calling off the rest of my chips with it. Fortunately, he checks behind, you have the winning hand.

Any idea what he mucked there? Would be interesting to see what he did all that betting with. The way it went down, I'm going for something with a J like KJ, QJ or an Ax.

-----------------------------------------------
keeping track of my poker semi-career: ov3rsight.blog.com

Old
Tue Jan 10, 2012, 07:07 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Hi Marvin, interesting spot.

If he's good I think he figures out that you've check/called two barrels and will just check all showdown hands weaker than your AQ behind. It's possible he'll try something with a hand like , but I think he has a lot of QJs and mid pair type stuff in his range still. And he can call with weaker aces. If you check you allow him to check a lot of stuff behind. So do you think he's more likely to fire another barrel with air here or to just give it up? You have a busted draw here a lot of the time too, so you should be able to get some value from your AQ.

Also, don't confuse playing a lot with being a good player. Simply being supernova doesn't make you good. Plenty of bad regs, nits, and good players earn enough VPPs to be supernova.

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jan 10, 2012, 11:54 PM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriholic View Post
Hi Marvin, interesting spot.

If he's good I think he figures out that you've check/called two barrels and will just check all showdown hands weaker than your AQ behind. It's possible he'll try something with a hand like , but I think he has a lot of QJs and mid pair type stuff in his range still. And he can call with weaker aces. If you check you allow him to check a lot of stuff behind. So do you think he's more likely to fire another barrel with air here or to just give it up? You have a busted draw here a lot of the time too, so you should be able to get some value from your AQ.

Also, don't confuse playing a lot with being a good player. Simply being supernova doesn't make you good. Plenty of bad regs, nits, and good players earn enough VPPs to be supernova.
I'm afraid if I bet he might shove me all in because I don't see his hands enough. i don't know if he's capable enough to do it. but of course i called 2 barrels he will be cautious also to do that.

your right I thought he's good because he's a supernova that's why I'm a little intimidated a little bit cautious, maybe i should change that mindset

i think i should have bet a little bit to induce a bluff or maybe he can make a weak call.

or how much should i bet?

Old
Wed Jan 11, 2012, 12:01 AM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ov3rsight View Post
I'm guessing this is pretty early goings?

Lessee - UTG+1 minraises, everyone folds. With the AQs I wouldn't mind a raise here to test the waters or build a pot, or give myself the chance to maybe steal the pot on the flop. Also, if we call we're out of position, and AQ plays godawful out of position. But, if he is a good player who's a little more advanced, he could be minraising with a good hand to induce that play from you. So perhaps a call would be best.

Flop is a complete miss, with just the two overcards left. Check, he bets 2/3 pot. At this point I might be inclined to give up. I'm basically drawing to 6 outs (A,Q) or a backdoor flush if the flop hit him. He could also be holding a small pair, with the same draw for me. But - a call.

Turn is an ace. Top pair with a good kicked, basically all that beats me now is a flopped set and AK, AJ. I doubt he could have some Ace rag that flopped 2 pair. You check it to him again, and he bets out again, little more than half pot. At this point, I would ponder a raise to see if he really has something or is just trying to bluff us. But, you call.

River's not so much fun. If he had played a weird hand like K5 he got there. But what are the odds. The good thing about the 5 is it didn't complete any flush/straight draw out there, so I'm thinking this is a great card. If we were best on the turn, we are still best. It goes check check, which I don't mind. I'm not leading out here for a 3rd of my stack and run the risk he shoves on us giving us a very hard decision to make. If we check, he might fire again, and I'd be willing to call 1200 or so with this hand. But if we bet 1200 and shoves, I'm not sure I wanna be calling off the rest of my chips with it. Fortunately, he checks behind, you have the winning hand.

Any idea what he mucked there? Would be interesting to see what he did all that betting with. The way it went down, I'm going for something with a J like KJ, QJ or an Ax.

-----------------------------------------------
keeping track of my poker semi-career: ov3rsight.blog.com
because it suited i like to see a flop that's why i just called, and your right i don't want to get 3bet if i reraised because i will definitely fold and because I thought my opp is a good player i want to see the flop.

flop - because he is a good player I need to float every time because definitely he will cbet any flop that comes

turn - i got TP but i dont know what my opp have so i want to C/C for pot control in here if doesn't bet i will surely bet the river

river - is blank for pot control in case he want to fire the 3rd barrel. and your right i don't want to get reraised.

my opp hand is -QQ

should have bet river for value if only I had known his hands

Last edited by marvinsytan; Wed Jan 11, 2012 at 12:27 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com