Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Off-Topic Discussions /

Todays Math Test

Old
Todays Math Test - Wed Jan 11, 2012, 03:36 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
An alien rocketship is traveling at a speed of 0.03 miles per minute. At this speed, how many feet will it travel in 1 hour? Round to the nearest thousandth.

0.03 Miles / Minute ........how many feet per hour

( 0.03 Miles / Minute ) X ( 60 Minute / 1 Hour ) = 1.8 Miles / Hour

( 1.8 Miles / Hour ) X ( 5280 Feet / Hour ) = 9504.000 Feet / Hour

The more important thing is OMG an alien rocketship is heading to earth !!!!!!

Last edited by XXChris123; Wed Jan 11, 2012 at 03:38 AM..

Old
Wed Jan 11, 2012, 05:12 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
That's one very slow Rocket Ship!

Good excersise Chris even though you did all the working out for us.

Who will be the first member to respond with the correct answer if the Rocket Ship was travelling at 3.06 miles per minute?

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jan 11, 2012, 05:22 AM
(#3)
Since: Dec 2010
1+1= a window

Old
Wed Jan 11, 2012, 09:10 AM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
I guess this makes me 1st

969,408 feet per hour

What'd I win? Play chips?

Old
Wed Jan 11, 2012, 09:13 AM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalraise85 View Post
That's one very slow Rocket Ship!

Good excersise Chris even though you did all the working out for us.

Who will be the first member to respond with the correct answer if the Rocket Ship was travelling at 3.06 miles per minute?

Raiser

I'll ask this further since I gave this answer already.

What if after the 1st 15 minutes it slowed down 10% and after 30 minutes it slowed down another 15% and finally after 45 minutes it slowed down to yet another 20%, how many feet would this craft of traveled?

Old
Wed Jan 11, 2012, 11:05 AM
(#6)
Since: Dec 2010
That is 1 slow Rocket Ship. B lol

Old
Wed Jan 11, 2012, 12:04 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Well Joker since you asked the question you should show how to solve the problem.
Doing math exercises for fun or to expand ability will also improve your poker game.
Your question can be answered and I could answer it but it is a bit long and tedious and I already do a lot of math every day.
By answering your own question it allows others to understand how to do it.
They can then change the variables and attempt their own . Or try to repeat yours without looking.
I do mine on a site that tells me if I am correct or not. I think I may start doing a few per week on this site. Ones that look interesting anyways. Poker math is also really very basic. So practicing math allows you to expand your poker ability also.
I am still plodding through basic math on the site that I use. A dash of algebra and geometry also.
In school I have progressed further than what I am doing now , however I am doing this to refresh my math skills and to eventually surpass what I learned in School years ago.

Old
Wed Jan 11, 2012, 12:36 PM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXChris123 View Post
Well Joker since you asked the question you should show how to solve the problem.
Doing math exercises for fun or to expand ability will also improve your poker game.
Your question can be answered and I could answer it but it is a bit long and tedious and I already do a lot of math every day.
By answering your own question it allows others to understand how to do it.
They can then change the variables and attempt their own . Or try to repeat yours without looking.
I do mine on a site that tells me if I am correct or not. I think I may start doing a few per week on this site. Ones that look interesting anyways. Poker math is also really very basic. So practicing math allows you to expand your poker ability also.
I am still plodding through basic math on the site that I use. A dash of algebra and geometry also.
In school I have progressed further than what I am doing now , however I am doing this to refresh my math skills and to eventually surpass what I learned in School years ago.
Hey that is great that you are continuing your education in other aspects of life and the deeper parts of poker.
Math has always come easily to me so in truth I have my answer and am just waiting for another's reply.
I will hint that you would keep track of the speed of the craft for each of the quarter hours while calculating the miles it traveled for that quarter then combine them in the end to convert into feet.

Old
Thu Jan 12, 2012, 10:37 AM
(#9)
BronzeStar
Actually, if the alien ship used the pressure of the solar wind as propulsion, and was quite close to it's home world to start, it would be pretty quick by the time it got to earth (considering that the nearest star system to earth is a bit over 4 light years away, and assuming that the .03 mile per minute was constant acceleration).

Anyone care to take a crack at how fast the alien ship might be going at the mid point of its journey to earth, assuming it accelerates constantly half way here, flips over, and accelerates in the OPPOSITE direction (decelerates) at a rate of .03 mile per minute - minute (per minute squared)?

I'm gunna give that a crack when I wake up...

How about you?

(a little help to start...Proxima Centauri, in the Alpha Centauri star system, is roughly 4.24 light years away, but let's say 4.25 for giggles.)

Double Bracelet Winner

Last edited by JDean; Thu Jan 12, 2012 at 10:58 AM..

Old
Thu Jan 12, 2012, 06:35 PM
(#10)
BronzeStar
solar wind depends upon design of ship here its not a factor
what good is a sailing ship with no sails
so Solar Wind is an unknown variable which should be discounted for our purposes
I dont know formula for constant acceleration but could find it I guess
however I would be happy to see your results
Speed would = zero once rocket reaches earth so really want to see what the speed is at turn around point

Last edited by XXChris123; Thu Jan 12, 2012 at 06:43 PM..

Old
Thu Jan 12, 2012, 06:42 PM
(#11)
BronzeStar
formulas for constant acceleration are above my pay grade currently
they are at a level that I never reached or that I only brushed against in past
It may take me a year or a few months or longer to reach that level . I dont want to skip levels just for this problem a lot due to fact that there will be vast holes in my knowledge which need to be plugged

still hope you tackle it

Old
Thu Jan 12, 2012, 08:12 PM
(#12)
From what i heard Jdean does that much math in the 15 seconds he takes to fold, call or raise!!!

Old
Fri Jan 13, 2012, 12:10 AM
(#13)
7 5th 's of all Americans hate fractions!

57.3% of all statistics are just randomly made up!

Giddy Up!

Old
Fri Jan 13, 2012, 01:10 AM
(#14)
BronzeStar
OK, here's a couple of problems for ya...

1.If you're going down the road in a 3 wheeled canoe and 1 of the wheels fell off, how many flapjacks will it take to shingle a doghouse?

2. If a rooster lays an egg on the the point of a roof top and the sun is in the east which way will the egg roll?

C. If a plane crashes on the border of Canada and the United States where will they bury the survivors?

Last edited by TEXASKICK; Fri Jan 13, 2012 at 01:10 AM.. Reason: hehe

Old
Fri Jan 13, 2012, 07:43 AM
(#15)
BronzeStar
I left myself a more difficult task than I realized...

As given we need to determine the duration to turn around FIRST, in order to finish the total calculation...and that is a bit finicky...

Duration to turn around is found by finding out how long it takes to travel 2.125 light years, started at 0 speed.
2.125 light years = A LOT

(78,840,000 seconds in a 365 day year x 186,000 mi per sec for light speed = 14664240000000 miles in 1 light year. times 2.125 = 31161510000000 miles.)

I will get to this though...

Double Bracelet Winner

Last edited by JDean; Fri Jan 13, 2012 at 08:04 AM..

Old
Fri Jan 13, 2012, 10:36 AM
(#16)
Since: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASKICK View Post
OK, here's a couple of problems for ya...

1.If you're going down the road in a 3 wheeled canoe and 1 of the wheels fell off, how many flapjacks will it take to shingle a doghouse?

2. If a rooster lays an egg on the the point of a roof top and the sun is in the east which way will the egg roll?

C. If a plane crashes on the border of Canada and the United States where will they bury the survivors?

LOL newer material needed...

Old
Fri Jan 13, 2012, 11:25 AM
(#17)
how many weeks are there in a light year?

Old
Fri Jan 13, 2012, 11:44 AM
(#18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19honu62 View Post

Light weeks or Earth weeks? or maybe a Mars week?

Old
Fri Jan 13, 2012, 11:45 AM
(#19)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19honu62 View Post

Same number as normal...52!

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 14, 2012, 05:41 AM
(#20)
BronzeStar
I'm pretty sure it is a differential equations which is a level I have not reached yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equations_of_motion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_equation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_relativity

So don't feel bad if are you unable to solve for it yet. However here is a more precise page for acceleration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acceleration

Note on that page you have

Special cases

Uniform acceleration

The equation they show is more of a common algebraic form .
Still I am reluctant to try this or any equation at this time because I am researching other areas and do not wish to give false information .

To sum up it may not require differential equations as I first suspected however it may . Once again since I am not studying this particular area or level of math I am again reluctant to try to solve for the problem you gave JDean.

That said in future I will post other problems which may be interesting. On another note any one able to solve original problem has math skills to do all the math required in poker.

Next post addresses that.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com