Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

NL2 question

Old
NL2 question - Fri Jan 13, 2012, 08:34 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2012
I try to play tight & aggressive as much as possible but I always sooner or later spend all my money.
If I join with e.g. 2$ and play T&A I have a really good chances to win,but what when I get to 10$+ on table?Sooner or later someone will get better cards and could easily take all my money since its NL

example:
I get AA and raise 3xBB,someone lets say re-rise and I call/rraise(doesn't matter),flop shows A K 3(Means probably I win) then I raise,then he call/rraise(deosn't matter)and later here come flop like lets say A K 3 7 then AGAIN raises and then the river K comes out and his hand is e.g. K7 so he now have a full house and took almost all money that I earned before on that table.

How to deal with this?Should I leave table whenever I get 5 or 10$ and switch to another or what?

EDIT:Played fixed limit before NL and did good there but even there when I'm 99% sure I have best hand some noob can appear who will reraise always and finish me out with river card for big money. I found way to deal with those hands on FL tables.I raise but when I see other guy wants to reraise so bad then I start call/check so he can't raise too much and if I lose I won't lose that much,and if I win...I won!

EDIT2:I just realized that I gave totally wrong example haha,doesn't matter you got the point.There is always chance that river card will finish me (like did,and always for big money)

Last edited by Urosh92; Fri Jan 13, 2012 at 08:59 AM..

Old
Fri Jan 13, 2012, 09:18 AM
(#2)
Since: May 2011
If you frequently end up losing your profit at a table you should definitely make a habit of leaving it earlier. You should also analyze your game a little and look at what situations you decide to stack off. Are you overplaying your hands such as AA, KK, QQ and JJ, or top pair? Are you having a hard time folding your good hands even though you know you're beat? Are you too focused on your own hand and forget to consider your opponent's hand? Are you aware of position and odds? do you feel like you "deserve" to win this hand and that's why you decide to stack off?

In the example you posted, you would actually win the hand with a higher full house, but I get your point.

Also, a tight-aggressive (TAG) style is probably the best way to go, especially since you seem to be a winning player with it, but just being tight-aggressive for the sake of being tight-aggressive is very exploitable. Most opponents probably know that you're going to be aggressive and bet your whole stack and you can easily spiral into having tunnel vision on being aggressive. Remember WHY you're aggressive in a certain situation. To get them to fold? To get them to call with worse hands? If you continously bet into opponents that hold better hands, you are going to lose your stack.

If you feel like this is a problem you should probably leave the table when you feel that you don't want to risk the money you have on that table (which I estimate should be somewhere around 3-5$ depending on the players at the table, your playing style and your skill).

I hope this helps a little and good luck at the tables.

Old
Fri Jan 13, 2012, 09:37 AM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
To echo Feskprins - Blind aggression is not good aggression. You need to have a reason for every decision made at the table.

Also, if your up several buy-ins at a table, leave the table and buy into a new table for $2. That way you don't have to risk any more than $2 in a single hand.

Old
Fri Jan 13, 2012, 12:54 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Urosh92,

Welcome to the forum!

I agree with Feskprins and Rockerguy. I try not to be overly aggressive at these tables, as there are plenty of players that will raise or call with anything. TAG style is the way that I play them. The other thing that I do, due to the types of opps, is to basically never bluff at these tables, as too many players will stay regardless. Also, I try to change tables anytime I get to double the buy-in, so if I hit $4, then I'll switch tables and rebuy for $2.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 13, 2012, 01:24 PM
(#5)
Okay,so I will start changing tables whenever i get buy-in

[remove]

Thank you guys.

Last edited by Urosh92; Mon Nov 05, 2012 at 01:16 AM..

Old
Fri Jan 13, 2012, 01:39 PM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Urosh92,

The other thing to remember when playing aginst them... you're going to have downswings, because eventually they will get lucky. I know that one, becuase I hit one of them right before black friday for the US players. To help with these, make sure that you're following proper bankroll managment, as it will help to get you thru the variance runs.
I was playing some limit hold'em before black friday too and tried to switch tables there when I was up 50% over my buy-in.

Good luck at the tables,

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 13, 2012, 06:53 PM
(#7)
[remove]

Last edited by Urosh92; Mon Nov 05, 2012 at 01:18 AM..

Old
Fri Jan 13, 2012, 07:03 PM
(#8)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
HI Urosh92!

If there are any hands that you have questions on, you can post them in the hand analysis section (if cash game, then the NLHE Hand Analysis section). This way you can get feedback from both the members and from the hand analyzers.

For posting a hand, you'll want to use the hand replayer. There is an instruction link on how to use it on the hand replayer page.

There will be ups and downs when you play poker, but when you see a hand that you have questions on, you will be able to get input on those hands.

Hang in there, keep learning, and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 15, 2012, 08:01 PM
(#9)
Since: Nov 2011
BronzeStar
Hi Urosh,

I think once you have doubled your money this is a fine time to leave the table, but i would also consider leaving a table way before i double up sometimes with as little as a 30c to $1 profit.
Please allow me to explain why. When i enter a table i like a balance of tags and lags the reason for this is a tag player will respect your raise more often, well once he's classed you as a tag, this makes it easier to isolate weaker players, now on the other hand if i'm sitting on a table with a high amount of calling stations or bad lags then my raise is going to be ignored and my AA may get 3 or 4 callers. Now my AA is not such a good hand and has a good chance of getting beat,
well in this type of situation i would not care if i got dealt AA every hand i'm off because 1vs1 i love my aces, 1vs4 not good at all.
I hope that this gives you something extra to think about.

Just my opinion GL on the tables.

(Paul)

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com