Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Thank god for this place

Old
Thank god for this place - Fri Jan 13, 2012, 10:07 AM
(#1)
Since: May 2011
I'd just like to take this moment and thank all the trainers and members of PSO. I've been here for two weeks and I have learned more here than I did anywhere else in all of 2011. The hand analysis forums (mainly the tournament forum for me) are gold mines with situations from active members and excellent explanations from the hand analyzers. The members are cunning, helpful, and chip in with opinions when they can. The trainers hold great sessions with relevant information and provide elaborated answers to all questions from the participants, and you get the feeling that they really, really want you to improve, which is incredibly important.

So a big thank you from the Swedish realm!

Old
Fri Jan 13, 2012, 10:20 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
I concure, in the last 6 months i have gone from a "good" but unlucky player who deposits twice a month.

To a player who plays at a correct level for his bankroll (most of the time) and actually understands things such as the power of position. I relise i have a lot still to learn, but know this is a good place to do this.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 13, 2012, 12:47 PM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2011
ANYONE that comes here and doesn't learn anything, just doesn't want to. Plain and simple.

Old
Fri Jan 13, 2012, 01:05 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Thanks for the kind words Feskprins!

There is a bunch of great information on the site that everyone should want to take advantage of. I try to learn something new everyday myself and haven't run out of material yet... and don't expect to. Keep learning everyday and make yourself a better player is what all of us should want to do.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 13, 2012, 06:39 PM
(#5)
Since: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnestegg View Post
ANYONE that comes here and doesn't learn anything, just doesn't want to. Plain and simple.
Yeah, pretty much. Then again, if it weren't for those people, the rest of us wouldn't have much to play for.

Old
Fri Jan 13, 2012, 06:42 PM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feskprins View Post
I'd just like to take this moment and thank all the trainers and members of PSO. I've been here for two weeks and I have learned more here than I did anywhere else in all of 2011. The hand analysis forums (mainly the tournament forum for me) are gold mines with situations from active members and excellent explanations from the hand analyzers. The members are cunning, helpful, and chip in with opinions when they can. The trainers hold great sessions with relevant information and provide elaborated answers to all questions from the participants, and you get the feeling that they really, really want you to improve, which is incredibly important.

Please sticky this...

Great sentiments Feskprins,truly makes everyone in our little community remember why we love it so much,warts and all,when someone comes along and truly gets what this school should be all about.

When American players were still playing for money here on Stars (hopeful we will be again sooner than later...) my girlfriend asked me once why we would want to help people we were competing against get better. I told her that this was the "social" aspect of poker,something that while maybe not unique to this game is certainly,IMO,more ingrained into it than any other I know. And as for any giving away of an edge,well...look at the sheer numbers of players on the site at any given time playing for money. There will always be plenty of sheep available for the shearing so no cause for concern in helping the poor lost lambs (like I was when I found PSO) that find their way here.

"Always walk through life as if you have something new to learn and you will." -- Vernon Howard

"This is what learning is. You suddenly understand something you've understood all your life,but in a new way." -- Doris Lessing

"Learning is not compulsory...neither is survival." -- W. Edwards Deming

"Live as of you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." -- Ghandi

"Being ignorant is not so much a shame,as being unwilling to learn." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Supposing is good,but finding out is better." -- Mark Twain

And lastly,from one of the most unrecognized,underrated deep thinkers of the last 100 years...

"Life is a learning experience,only if you learn." -- Yogi Berra (Damn, but Yogi could make the obvious muddled and the muddled obvious.)

Old
Fri Jan 13, 2012, 06:52 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
They should fix the open league to coincide with your lofty idealism - it's truly a cesspool ... just awful

But the videos and the forum discussions are very helpful

Old
Fri Jan 13, 2012, 07:14 PM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustySam View Post
They should fix the open league to coincide with your lofty idealism - it's truly a cesspool ... just awful

But the videos and the forum discussions are very helpful

Methinks someone has been taking it on the chin from Donkeynation the last few days.

As bad as it is Sam,there ARE things to be learned even in a cesspool like the Open League.

1. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

2. Any two cards CAN win.

3. The simple reality that this is a game that can and will tantalize,fascinate,frustrate,enrage,
delight,confound and bemuse one. Oft times in the very same hand.

4. Even the thickest pane of glass allows for some sunlight to get through every now and then. Thus,even the donkiest of donks CAN play a hand brilliantly once in a while.

5. Poker is,all at once,about the here and now,the what's around the corner and the what's way the Hell down the road. Learning the lessons inherent in the game can be applied to all 3 realities.

Lastly I just can't help but think,as I glance at the top of the Open League Leaderboard and see names like II CoTe ll,Darkman,Thanat0s666 and heartake,among others,hanging out on the first couple of pages and thinking one last bromide...

...the more things change,the more they stay the same. If THEY can adapt to the realities of the new leagues then so can you Sammy.

Old
Fri Jan 13, 2012, 07:31 PM
(#9)
BronzeStar
What have you learned from Mitt Romney, Moxie? You know what I'm trying to say via that analogy?

I'm being honest because I think it's the right thing to do. If that's going to lead people like you to impute on me motives when I've already explicitly stated that my goal is to try and turn a profit via cash table games ... I mean, like, what am I dealing with here??

You're acting like you've got AK and I tell you I've got AA and you still call ... like you won't accept that maybe what I'm saying could possibly be true ...

I don't see why the league needs to ONLY be about patience ... when it could be about patience AND poker ... and be improved extremely easily. I think they just need to add more paid places to incentivize greater pursuit of leaderboard prizes than the cash prizes.

JMO

Old
Fri Jan 13, 2012, 08:26 PM
(#10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustySam View Post
What have you learned from Mitt Romney, Moxie? You know what I'm trying to say via that analogy?

I'm being honest because I think it's the right thing to do. If that's going to lead people like you to impute on me motives when I've already explicitly stated that my goal is to try and turn a profit via cash table games ... I mean, like, what am I dealing with here??

You're acting like you've got AK and I tell you I've got AA and you still call ... like you won't accept that maybe what I'm saying could possibly be true ...

I don't see why the league needs to ONLY be about patience ... when it could be about patience AND poker ... and be improved extremely easily. I think they just need to add more paid places to incentivize greater pursuit of leaderboard prizes than the cash prizes.

JMO

Ooooooookay,I wasn't trying to impute,nor even to ascertain your motives Sam. They are YOUR motives after all and not my concern.

What I WAS trying to say is that,even with 10K entries every game,the Open League is still obviously exploitable as I think it's not a coincidence to see the peeps I mentioned in my earlier post making the same type of showings in this league as they did in the old PSO Skill League.

As to the Open League being ONLY about patience,well yeah...patience,stalling and folding is a big part of any ladder climbing scenario in poker (best thing the PSO league was a "training ground" for,IMO---satellites),but they weren't the only things the old league was good for learning. Can't state from experience as to how that fits in the Open League,hope to find out for myself.

For the record I do agree with you that the prize structure for the monthly pay-outs is a little "off" IMO. But that MAY just be intentional of Stars part,so as to try and teach players to push for the brass ring more. As to the $10.00 prizes for each individual game,that's been broached in the past and apparently they can't structure a point system that will register without there being a minimum of $10 in cash available for each tourney.

I don't know,you seem to think I was trying to pick a fight and/or an argument with my earlier response. I wasn't,never would take that tact with you. I guess I'm just on the side of take the leagues for what they are and appreciate them for that instead of fretting over what they aren't may be a better way to go is all. Just my take on it and as one who at one time had a couple thoughts on how the old skill league could have been improved (to MY liking at least ) I can emphasize with you trying to do the same here. (My main idea was to limit the last week of play to the players in the top 1500 for the month BTW. Would NEVER advocate for something like that now,the donkier the better I say... )

LOL,as far as what I,or anyone else,could learn from "Mittens"...well whatever one COULD learn from Romney one minute they could learn the exact opposite 2 minutes later when his opinion did a complete 180. Mitt Romney---the Human Windsock.

Old
Fri Jan 13, 2012, 09:07 PM
(#11)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie Pip View Post
Just my take on it and as one who at one time had a couple thoughts on how the old skill league could have been improved (to MY liking at least ) I can emphasize with you trying to do the same here.

Are you saying you're acting out of selfishness now? So you're assuming that everybody's like you? Or are you saying that you believe yourself to be selfless - but you can understand why I would be 'selfish'?

Moxie, I just said I have no interest in the league - I can only play 2 games at most a day; the most you can make is $5-20 ... I can make more than that playing cash tables.

I think I see where the misunderstanding may be coming in - from my perspective, it looks to me like you may be missing poker so much you're imagining the open league to be better than it really is (and may therefore be blind to improvements that could make it everything it was supposed to be but isn't).

And on the flipside, if poker were outlawed for me, then I would understand how you'd LOVE to have the chance to choose whether or not to play in the open league - and if it was the only game that was available, I'd be savoring it, and thinking it was the best thing since sliced bread, warts and all, if the only other alternative was not playing at all.

Hopefully you guys will have the chance to come back sooner rather than later - maybe Pres. Mittens'll wind up signing internet poker into law ... so that'll be something positive about him

Old
Fri Jan 13, 2012, 09:12 PM
(#12)
Since: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feskprins View Post

Great post Feskprins.
Nasty, scary avatar.

That's the kind of stuff that makes it fun to be a part of this community.

Old
Fri Jan 13, 2012, 09:56 PM
(#13)
Since: Jul 2010
your welcome

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com