Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

bad luck?

Old
bad luck? - Fri Jan 13, 2012, 03:11 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
Looking back at this, I probhably should have made my life easier and mucked this preflop. We're pretty early. Guess I was gettong a little annoyed with not catching any hands all day/ A8 suited seems nice, especially when you hit a straight on the turn...

A bet on the flop, who knows. Once the turn hits, he's never folding.

About 30 hands later. Same guy. I managed to work my stack back up then this happens.

Bad play or just bad luck?

Few hands later I;m out. My A6 suited couldn't stand the pressure of 6,7 offsuit...

Must be Friday the 13th or something

-----------------------------------------------------
keeping up with my poker semi-career: ov3rsight.blog.com

Last edited by Ov3rsight; Fri Jan 13, 2012 at 03:41 PM..

Old
Fri Jan 13, 2012, 08:45 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Ov3rsight,

In that first hand, definitely I would fold this preflop. A8 is a really bad hand vs. a raise and 3bet, and even if they are playing wide ranges it's going to be difficult to play this well post flop out of position even when you flop strong. Over all I don't like to put myself in these spots. As played I think it's fine when you make your straight, it's really tough when he raises the river as you're really only beating Jx or some poorly played premium pair, but I'd call too in this spot.

In the second hand, it's important to be aware when you're raising a short stack in the blinds with players in between that you size your raise such that if they shove, it will reopen the betting so you can reshove to isolate.

In this case you raised 300 (from 150 to 450). In order to reopen the betting, someone has to make the minimum reraise, which is 300 more (making it 750 to go). The opponent only has 690 total in his stack, so his shove is only 240 more... since that's not enough to reopen the betting you can only call, and now the other player(s) will call behind you. If you tweek your open raise down a bit you can fix that. For instance, if you open to 400 (a raise of 250), then when he shoves to 690 (a raise of 290 more) it's more than the min 250 required to reopen the betting, and you can reshove over him to isolate. Hope this makes sense, let me know if you're not sure.

Thanks,
Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 13, 2012, 10:00 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
Hi Ov3rsight,

In the second hand, it's important to be aware when you're raising a short stack in the blinds with players in between that you size your raise such that if they shove, it will reopen the betting so you can reshove to isolate.

In this case you raised 300 (from 150 to 450). In order to reopen the betting, someone has to make the minimum reraise, which is 300 more (making it 750 to go). The opponent only has 690 total in his stack, so his shove is only 240 more... since that's not enough to reopen the betting you can only call, and now the other player(s) will call behind you. If you tweek your open raise down a bit you can fix that. For instance, if you open to 400 (a raise of 250), then when he shoves to 690 (a raise of 290 more) it's more than the min 250 required to reopen the betting, and you can reshove over him to isolate. Hope this makes sense, let me know if you're not sure.

Thanks,
Dave
this is new to me cool, i never thought of this

lesson learned

hand#1

personally,

agree with our teacher fold PRE

hand#2 it's not your lucky day sir

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com