Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

frustration

Old
frustration - Sat Jan 14, 2012, 11:58 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
What do you do...

I see 4 ppl double up with AA within 20 hands. I have QQ, everyone folds. Next hand I have AA, everyone folds. 15 hands later on the bubble, I have 99. Guy before me shoves, I call. He shows 6,5 off. turn is a 6, river is a 6. What do you do....

In the mean time I'm being dealt ace-rag almost every other hand without a stack to be able to play them....

Old
Sat Jan 14, 2012, 12:26 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Ov3rsight!

Unfortunately, that's poker. All that a player can do is to keep making the correct decisions and grinding thru those types of situations.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 14, 2012, 12:36 PM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2011
chock it up as one of those days. It will pass.

Old
Sat Jan 14, 2012, 02:04 PM
(#4)
BronzeStar
Let me preface my comment with the notation I am in chip play.

One of the hardest parts of the game, at least for me, is betting strategy. I get that great hand, want to entice the lambs to the slaughter, make a minimum bet or a minimum raise, and every player folds. Other players make huge bet, 5X the BB or more, and half the table is fighting each other calling. As you said, these guys double-up with their monsters, and you're lucky to catch the blinds.

The runner-runner win is always a possible. You're remembering when it happened to you, and your mind fixates on it. That is human nature. Try recalling the last time you hit the runner-runner hand. Yet it does happen. It is part of any game where random chance plays any part. Despite what you have been told, poker does have a luck element. Sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you.

Best advice? Keep playing those monsters aggressively. You will hit on them far more often than you'll crash and burn. But always know that no matter how great the odds favor you, if you can lose, you might.

Old
Sat Jan 14, 2012, 11:38 PM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2011
BronzeStar
I don't think it happens as much as you think. You see, I only play certain hands in certain situations. There for, its very rare for me to even try to suck out. It's the player that shoves 5,6 OS that sucks out cause he's one of the few people to make a bad play like that. The problem is, in order to get lucky like that you have to make bad plays.

I've actually up my buy-in amount from 1.50 SnG's to 3.50 and I've noticed there's less of that type of crap. There still are many donkeys but I find more tend to be phased out.

About 3 weeks ago I thought I was in the twilight zone. I must have got knocked out off about 8 out 10 tourney's I played in. Every time I shoved knowing I was winning, I would get called and people were sucking out on me like crazy. I would raise KK, someone would call me with 55. Flop would come and I would hit a K to make set and shove. Donkey would call hit a flush, of course with his 5 of spades and pretty much knock me out. They were all like this. I almost gave up poker. It wasn't the loosing that bothered me. It's loosing to a bad play that really stung and to have it happen like 8 out of 10 tourney's really got to me.

Another thing that was killing me was I kept making it to the bubble in decent shape. Everytime a player was almost out, One of the other players would let them back in by playing stupid. Low stack would shove and big stack would call on 4,8 or something crazy. I'd think to myself, "I realize your the big stack but really???"

I decided to up my buy-in level as an experiment and so far it seems to be working.

We'll have to see over the next few weeks.

Old
Sun Jan 15, 2012, 03:50 AM
(#6)
Since: Dec 2011
I agree with C-mac here. The past few days for example I got sucked out in with Q8 offsuit, who called a preflop raise and a checkraise on the flop and then hit a 8 on the river to win the pot. I'll never do that since I'm not called a bet with that hand. Same with the 6,5 offsuit.

Back on FTP when I was analyzing my play to see why I was losing, I kept track of all situations in which I or my opponent was allin. The money went in where I had the best hand well over 65% of the time. I only won just under 40% of the hands. I even split it out between getting it in best and getting it in worst - When I got it in best, I barely won 50% of those hands. When I got in in worst, I won less than 25%....

The reason I stopped playing at FTP for a few months is exactly what C-mac says: it's not busting out more than half the time, I fully expect that, but it's the way how. The ridiculous hands people play and suck out with that got to me. And that was at a $10+$1 level buyin.....

Oh well, I've done good here before, so I'll get back to winning some, but sometimes I wish I could smack people around with a book that can teach them elementary poker strategy. The bit that specifically says you shouldn't be calling a bet and a checkraise with queen high and no draws....

Anyway - I'm off to analyzing the allin hands I've played here so far. See if it's something to work on.

-----------------------------------------
keeping track of my poker semi-career: ov3rsight.blog.com

Old
Fri Jan 20, 2012, 03:10 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Dont know what you want anyone to say. Going on tilt isnt an option, playing poor cards isnt an option. Just a run of bad luck. Play solid and tight until things turn. Good Luck

Old
Sun Jan 22, 2012, 12:01 AM
(#8)
Since: Jan 2012
This is exactly what I am sick and tired of.. This poker school thing is good education but how do you beat the tools that call an allin with 65 suited and hit 2 pair on the flop??? or the 22 that raises and u reraise with your Ak to put them allin and they STILL call. Or your AA allin called by 96 suited for a flop of 996 9 6..............that happened probably 4 years ago but it burns in my memory FOREVER!!!

Old
Sun Jan 22, 2012, 02:18 AM
(#9)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
it's okay to be upset when u lose after getting the money in good. what's not okay is to become so upset that u become disillusioned and decide to give up. this is what keeps the good players over the bad players. if u had to play people who were just as good as u, or better, every single day, u would never make a profit. if ur the 9th best hold em player in the world, but u only play poker when the 8 better players are at ur table, u will never make a profit and thus be a losing player. what really hurts is letting a bad player get the better of u, causing u to donk off ur chips unnessesarily. while we all want to win, i know i prefer winning when i don't have to get lucky to knock someone out. while none of us want to lose, i know most of us would prefer to lose when the other person got lucky, not because we were outmanuevered or outclassed.

poker is probably the only game in the world where u should stay as cocky as possible the entire time u play. u HAVE to have the utmost confidence in what ur doing. if u come into a poker game thinking u r going to lose, u've already lost. i like to come into a game with my head as clear as possible--i don't want any of life's little distractions getting in my way because i want to be focused for every single decision i make. it makes the game more fun this way because u know u did all u could do to do well. whether u make a bad play or not, u know u made ur decision completely from free will; u didn't let anything else influence u.

Old
Sun Jan 22, 2012, 02:26 AM
(#10)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssditch View Post
This is exactly what I am sick and tired of.. This poker school thing is good education but how do you beat the tools that call an allin with 65 suited and hit 2 pair on the flop??? or the 22 that raises and u reraise with your Ak to put them allin and they STILL call. Or your AA allin called by 96 suited for a flop of 996 9 6..............that happened probably 4 years ago but it burns in my memory FOREVER!!!
i reckon ur getting all ur chips in too early in tournaments, or with too big of a stack compared to ur opponent's stack in a cash game. the AK vs. 22 problem sounds like a case where u need to recognize who at ur table is not going to fold, and so play more small ball against them to avoid falling in a deep hole based on the outcome of a coin flip. and the AA vs. 96 thing? wow--take that one to the bank. u gotta understand that there are always going to be people who want to take ridiculous gambles. likewise, u are always going to have to deal with people make incredible suck outs against u. they aren't doing anything illegal out there, so u have to learn how to exploit them. u want this because this is what makes u money. being as big a favorite as possible in as big of pots as possible is going to help u in the long haul.

Old
Unkind boards& Suckouts - Tue Jan 24, 2012, 01:48 PM
(#11)
Since: Nov 2011
I think the only thing to do is to play plenty Freerolls (where it seems to happen 19 out of 20 times at all Poker sites I believe) and hopefully get used to those feelings of frusration etc , at least it then costs only time while we can practise the recommended play tecniques and hopefuly eventually become winners. Anyway that is the way I am hoping it works out.
James

Last edited by tmannie; Tue Jan 24, 2012 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: spelling

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com