Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

SKILL?? I don't think so

Old
SKILL?? I don't think so - Sun Jan 15, 2012, 12:52 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2012
My disappointment with Poker School is huge. I joined to improve my game and "hopefully" escape from the bored play money egomaniacs who push every hand with zilch. I played in 2 tournaments. In the first, after folding KK, JJ, AK because I wasn't willing to push all in I just quit the game. 10 straight pots "all in". I came back for one more go but after folding 12 hands in a row because of (guess what) "all in" I called with pocket 10s and lost to a flush. The one who shoved had J4 unsuited and made the flush. Typical of what the cowboys who play in these tournaments shove in with.

To the Point

Skill my a**!!! What happened to pot odds? All in with 1500 under the gun in a 60 pot should not be rewarded, I don't care if someone is holding 7 Aces. What happened to position? Why don't you create a real school with a real league. One that rewards players for actual intelligent play rather than rewarding the BINGO players. I could write the program myself. With all the resources at your disposal it should be easy. But then who'd play? Only the few serious players out of the salivating crowd of "all inners".

In short, a real waste of my time. I'm also disappointed that D.N. would support such a farce.

EZPikkens

Old
Sun Jan 15, 2012, 01:05 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
Hi EZ,welcome to the Forum.

Look,the Leagues are just one very small part of what goes on in the School itself. And for the purposes of improving ones game they are far from the most important or useful part.

They can teach you patience and discipline. How to keep your eye on the big prize (that would be the monthly payouts) and if you can win through to the Premier League that looks to be a better brand of poker. But the Open League is going to be what it is---a promotional tool to hook the thousands upon thousands of freerollers out there and maybe get some customers out of them.

But if you judge the usefulness of the school by the leagues then you are really missing the picture.

Look around and see what's available and avail yourself of that and you will see plenty of learning tools to grow your game. The leagues are just about trying to get some free swag.

Good luck.

Old
Sun Jan 15, 2012, 01:21 AM
(#3)
Since: Dec 2010
BronzeStar
It is a tourney for beginners, not for professionals, you never will see a pro playing this league. At same time, is a freeroll, this means that will be a lot of donks and your strategy must be adapted to this factor. If you want play a freeroll as if you are playing tourney of the WSOP, this means that you are naive.

If you want a bit of more level, you can advance to the Premier League, where there are less donks. If you want money, the Open League is a good place with the best system to get it.

If you want learn poker, make a deposit and start to play with real money, you can't learn to play poker playing freerolls.

Old
Sun Jan 15, 2012, 02:32 AM
(#4)
BronzeStar
---

Old
Sun Jan 15, 2012, 07:24 AM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2011
The premier league has its fair share of donks and shove monkeys, dont forget that a lot of people get there through shoving every hand they get, so if that strategy works for them why would they change it?

You are right OP, this league does reward bad play and punishes people who actually play poker. Its like that clip on youtube where Negreanu berates the shove monkey saying "thats not poker". You simply do not see the pro's playing the way these idiots do. PSO should be encouraging and rewarding people to attempt to emulate the pros, to play intelligent poker, but while a system is in place that rewards idiots and punishes poker players, that will never happen.

This school is good, for those willing to learn. But this is the human race we are a part of. Most people dont care. If they cared, then these forums would be a lot busier, the training sessions would have a lot more viewers and participants. You should know by now that idiots will ruin it for the rest of us, its just the way it is.

Old
Sun Jan 15, 2012, 10:22 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrux_hcb View Post
The premier league has its fair share of donks and shove monkeys, dont forget that a lot of people get there through shoving every hand they get, so if that strategy works for them why would they change it?

You are right OP, this league does reward bad play and punishes people who actually play poker. Its like that clip on youtube where Negreanu berates the shove monkey saying "thats not poker". You simply do not see the pro's playing the way these idiots do. PSO should be encouraging and rewarding people to attempt to emulate the pros, to play intelligent poker, but while a system is in place that rewards idiots and punishes poker players, that will never happen.

This school is good, for those willing to learn. But this is the human race we are a part of. Most people dont care. If they cared, then these forums would be a lot busier, the training sessions would have a lot more viewers and participants. You should know by now that idiots will ruin it for the rest of us, its just the way it is.
I think the league can teach you some important poker lessons.

Adapt or change tables.

But the goal of the league is not to win or even run deep in a single tournie it is to finish in the top spots over a month.

if you are looking for a more skillful challenge check out

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...oy-s-Challenge!

good luck at the tables

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 15, 2012, 11:39 AM
(#7)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrux_hcb View Post
You are right OP, this league does reward bad play
Wrong. Name one and the month in which they won a major prize.

Old
Sun Jan 15, 2012, 11:44 AM
(#8)
Since: Oct 2010
Quote:
I came back for one more go but after folding 12 hands in a row because of (guess what) "all in" I called with pocket 10s and lost to a flush.
But you forget to mention blinds level and your stack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanat0s666 View Post
If you want learn poker, make a deposit and start to play with real money, you can't learn to play poker playing freerolls.
Def not this. You can't learn poker by depositing money on a poker site.
Try burning them, it's the same.
But you can invest time on reading and watching what is free here on the training sections.
Or you can even invest on some pro training sites before hitting the real money games.

Gl

Old
Sun Jan 15, 2012, 12:35 PM
(#9)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
LOL! Do you really think that the J4o 'shove monkeys' are being rewarded for their play? See any of them cashing in the league? Too funny guys.

Old
Sun Jan 15, 2012, 12:58 PM
(#10)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman61 View Post
Wrong. Name one and the month in which they won a major prize.
August Premier League

Alen-Gricko 1st $5000

September Premier League

Lordvangog 1st $5000

These guys went on unbelievable heaters. Generally donk there chips off and can normally be milked quite easily. They are considered poor players by most within the Premier League.

Old
Sun Jan 15, 2012, 02:59 PM
(#11)
BronzeStar
You may have me there. Not participating in the Premier League, I was thinking Open League.

This could be why I'm suffering lately. Note to self. Look at the available information. And then look again before making a decision

Old
Sun Jan 15, 2012, 03:02 PM
(#12)
BronzeStar
Next note to self. Don't let secondary (and misleading) information (thanat's post) throw you of course

Old
Sun Jan 15, 2012, 03:46 PM
(#13)
Since: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentire View Post
August Premier League

Alen-Gricko 1st $5000

September Premier League

Lordvangog 1st $5000

These guys went on unbelievable heaters. Generally donk there chips off and can normally be milked quite easily. They are considered poor players by most within the Premier League.
This is your own opinion right? I don't think you should attribute such comments to 'most' Premier League players. I for one have plenty of respect for these two players, as I do for you too Pentire and any player that has made it to the Premier League. A quick check of their real money stats shows them to be profitable players, certainly a class above me - though I still wear the 'learner' plates at the tables, and possibly if you believe the stats better than you too Pentire.

Of course it is possible for any player to have an unbelievable run of luck, and attain a top prize. I am happy about that, as even whilst I continue to learn I may have a chance of a big prize when the luck favours me.

Good luck all

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Old
Sun Jan 15, 2012, 04:19 PM
(#14)
Since: Sep 2010
Ed,

It is my own opinion. I base it on how I have witnessed them playing. There has been a fair amount of chat at the PL tables over the months about how they rode an unbelievable heater to their wins.

That said, I am wrong to attribute this opinion to "most Premier League players". It is clearly the view of a few (of who I am one).

Old
Mon Jan 16, 2012, 10:37 AM
(#15)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by akisno View Post
But you forget to mention blinds level and your stack.

Def not this. You can't learn poker by depositing money on a poker site.
Try burning them, it's the same.
But you can invest time on reading and watching what is free here on the training sections.
Or you can even invest on some pro training sites before hitting the real money games.

Gl
You're right, I didn't say it before because it was logical, the theory is important, but also the practice, and to practice playing freerolls is not a good practice.

This tourney never was and never will be a serious tourney, with the new Premier League the seriousness was increased, but in the Open League, in a freeroll, always will be a lot of donks playing bingo.

It is a tourney for beginners, it means that is a tourney that can play players without money or with very little money, it means that a lot of these people will be donks playing bingo and it means that this tourney never will be a serious tourney. There are a lot of indestructibles syllogisms that must be eliminated to convert this league in a good site to learn poker =D

Old
Mon Jan 16, 2012, 12:44 PM
(#16)
i agree, the open league freeroll isnt a tourny where u can learn poker, but it is a good practice.. atleast to practice ur patience i only play AA KK AK.. sometimes QQ JJ depends in position and against whom. And when u get these hands, play them aggressive, pays out good

Patience is the key to success

But generally, PSO is great, they have nice videos, quiz and the forum with all hands posted, analyzied, what i think is good to read and watch! Study, study, study, not only with books, videos and forums and so on, but also ur opponents! Why, how and what u shld do vs ur opponent...

as i say "Read, Analyze and Pay attention"

Good luck

Old
Tue Jan 17, 2012, 02:56 AM
(#17)
Since: Jul 2011
You think thats bad...just as I was starting to think this could be the month I hold up and avoid the suckouts...I get in in w JJs against a 3x open r who calls w 109o 20bbs. Guess what the flop was...876. You just got to deal with it, its going to happen now and then...its too bad for me it had to happen early in the tourney and now when im seeded 10th, im gonna lose like 20points.

Old
Tue Jan 17, 2012, 04:29 AM
(#18)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaBBiiTGiiRL View Post
i agree, the open league freeroll isnt a tourny where u can learn poker, but it is a good practice.. atleast to practice ur patience i only play AA KK AK.. sometimes QQ JJ depends in position and against whom. And when u get these hands, play them aggressive, pays out good

Patience is the key to success

But generally, PSO is great, they have nice videos, quiz and the forum with all hands posted, analyzied, what i think is good to read and watch! Study, study, study, not only with books, videos and forums and so on, but also ur opponents! Why, how and what u shld do vs ur opponent...

as i say "Read, Analyze and Pay attention"

Good luck

Great post RabbitGirl (NOT trying to do your spelling here,lol ).

Always cool to see someone walk through the door and get what's really important here right off the bat.

Old
Tue Jan 17, 2012, 05:02 AM
(#19)
Since: Dec 2011
IMO, as with any other poker game, the early stages are one crazy time to be playing... big hands get cracked most of the time.

Real poker begins deep in the tourney.

Old
Tue Jan 17, 2012, 08:15 AM
(#20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie Pip View Post
Great post RabbitGirl (NOT trying to do your spelling here,lol ).

Always cool to see someone walk through the door and get what's really important here right off the bat.
Thank you

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com