Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

Embracing MTTs and Tournaments!!! - Playing the Saturday Line-Up Ticket

Old
Embracing MTTs and Tournaments!!! - Playing the Saturday Line-Up Ticket - Sun Jan 15, 2012, 08:45 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
This will be the forum counterpart of my blog. From now on whatever I post on my blog will also appear here and vice versa. For a brief background, I joined Poker School Online last December. It was also around that time that I have finally accepted the fact that I am better off playing MTT and Tournaments than SNGs and Cash Games. Im not saying I am good at Tourneys, but atleast I am making tiny bit of profit with my limited bankroll. Unfortunately, tourneys eat up a lot of my time.

There are lots of activities here at PSO that are keeping me busy. The Member of the Week/Month, Open Skill League, Cowboy Challenge, to name a few. Lot's of giveaways too, which is great!

A few days ago, I was chosen as Member of the Week, and with that came 8 tournament tickets to the Saturday Line-Up of events here at Pokerstars. That's about $150 worth of tickets! Probably the biggest prize I have won since I started my online poker career! Not only that, I may have a chance to double that prize if I blog about the result of my game on these tournies... which is another reason for this blog.

So, without further ado, let me start with the first Saturday Line-Up Ticket I played last night: The Saturday Micro!

Last edited by ggervacio; Mon Jan 16, 2012 at 01:01 AM..

Old
Sun Jan 15, 2012, 08:51 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
I look forward to reading this ggervacio and good luck with those tickets!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 15, 2012, 09:06 AM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
good luck!

Old
Result of Saturday Micro - Sun Jan 15, 2012, 09:35 AM
(#4)
I decided to use my Saturday Micro Ticket as it was scheduled earlier in the evening than Saturday Splash. Around 6000+ registered for the tourney. One thing to note about this tourney is that it allows for late registration for two hours after it has started. So I suspect the number of player will not drop until the registration closes, and I was right.

Not exactly sure how players play in this tourney as I have never played this tourney very often, unlike in 10cents 360-player MTT which I mostly play right now. So I decided to played very tight. I lasted for around 127 hands into the tourney playing only 8 hands. I decided to avoid limping of any sort unless the action ends with me which never happened.

First hand I played was TT in the cutoff which I raised x4, but still got a few limpers. Flop shows two over cards. Decided to abandon the cards after checking the flop and the button raised about 2/3 of the pot:

After three more hands, I was dealt KK. I thought to myself this could end up my tourney early as I don't usually back out with Kings in hand. And my worst fear happened. An Ace showed up on the flop.

My mind was already set that he has an ace. I got recently got busted just like this just a day ago and it was still very fresh in my mind, thus my poor play post flop by minimum raising only. I decided not to increase the pot anymore until I saw the river and I made my flush. I knew he made a flush when he bet the river. I decided to squeeze a few more, luckily for me, he decided to gamble on his Queen.

A few hands later I got QQ but did not paid up much:

My hands were pretty much dry after that. The following were the last 3 hands I played. I was beginning to get short stacked.

I was a bit suspicious of the flat call by the big stack guy, so I just limp with my AJo and fold I did not hit any on the flop.

After the TT, I got A6s which I should have shoved but decided to fold

And with 7-8BB left I shoved my AJo in the small blind... quite hopeful I was when he showed his hand.

Then the 7 appeared on the river

Well, seven more tickets to go.

I would like to hear any comments on how I should have played my hands. Till next time.

Last edited by ggervacio; Sun Jan 15, 2012 at 10:33 AM..

Old
Playing My $2.22 Saturday Splash Ticket - Sat Jan 28, 2012, 01:31 PM
(#5)
Finally found the strength to play one of my remaining tickets. I decided to play the Saturday Splash which started 12 mid night my time here in the Philippines. During the game I was contemplating exactly how much am I willing to shell out in this tourney. Initial computation shows I can get a minimum of $9 when I finish in the money. So I set $9 as my max rebuy but only if I see a very good that I will make it in-the-money, as this tourney is technically beyond my bankroll.

First hand I played I decided to limp. I hit my top pair on the flop but had a very bad kicker. I decided to chase my draw after the turn, besides, I thought I was ahead. Luckily, I hit my draw. He was actually quite ahead of me and decided to slow play me. I could have folded if he bet more after the flop.

Second hand I played I smashed into a wall! But before I called his shove, I did ready myself for a rebuy.

After my first rebuy, I was card dead. Made another rebuy hoping I would double up and be able to survive until the add-on. But I was still card dead and soon my stack was eaten up by the blinds. I decided to take my chance with my Q3o and shove what was left of my stack against the BB when everyone else folded. But no such luck.

There was still 30 minutes left before the add-on. And with the current blind level, I thought I would need at least 3 more rebuys for me to reach the add-on period so I decided to abandon the tourney. I finished 7000th+ I think.

I did like the tourney with 15% of the field getting in-the-money. Maybe I can find similar tourney with only $0.5 for rebuys.

Last edited by ggervacio; Sat Jan 28, 2012 at 01:48 PM..

Old
Cool
Never Miss Any PSO Registration Again!!! - Mon Jan 30, 2012, 09:30 AM
(#6)
How often does this happen to you? You are ready to play the PSO Open Skill League. You checked the schedule and it says 10 minutes before registration starts... so you decided to kill some time by checking on your emails or your Facebook account or play some cash game... you became engrossed on whatever you have decided to do to pass the time... suddenly you find yourself shrieking as you remember you are supposed to register in the Open Skill League. But by the time you navigate your way to the Tourney Lobby to click on the Register button, the registration is FULL... you were just a few seconds too late!!!

Well don't let this happen again. Use a browser based online alarm clock such as the Naked Alarm clock. Set the time and your speaker volume to MAX! It will definitely stop you from doing whatever you are not suppose to do other than play poker!!!

Old
January Recap... what will it be for February? - Sat Feb 04, 2012, 07:41 AM
(#7)
January found me quite busy with the Open Skill League. My target was to move up a notch in prize level which is $5. Sad to say, i only tasted that level for a few days before slipping back to $2.50 towards the end of the month. Quite tough I thought. But I did qualify for the Premiere League this February so I will be busy with that this month instead.

Another PSO activity which took most of my time last month was the Cowboy Challenge. I signed up for two. the $0.5 90-man and the $0.10 360-man. I finished the 360-man very well more than doubling my starting bankroll and managed to get 1 Step Ticket to add to my inventory. The 90-man did not do well and I even had to abandon it lest it severely affect my bankroll. This Feb, I signed up for $0.25 45-man.

This month I also started playing 10c PL Omaha micro tournament. Hopefully I will be able to play enough tournaments to familiarize myself with the game and build enough confidence to use my $55 Saturday Omaha Ticket. I already used up two of the tickets: Saturday Splash and Saturday Micro. Both did not do well. I have 6 more tickets left. I will try to use my One Time Big Time on those tickets. Hope to run very very deep in any of those remaining tickets.

However, I am looking at a very big big change in my work schedule starting this Feb, so I am not sure how will it affect my poker career. Hope it will be for the better.

Well, until then, good night and good luck to all poker fans.

Old
Playing WBCOOP Event 1, thought I'd do a live feed via this forum - Thu Feb 23, 2012, 11:21 AM
(#8)
Blinds are now 60/120 with 8K stack, playing pretty tight but the cards are pretty much dry.

also playing 25 cents 45-man on the side line to keep me from getting board...
Frankie Valli is wailing in the background... ooooh ooooohh Rag Dolls....

Old
Thu Feb 23, 2012, 11:26 AM
(#9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggervacio View Post
Blinds are now 60/120 with 8K stack, playing pretty tight but the cards are pretty much dry.

also playing 25 cents 45-man on the side line to keep me from getting board...
Frankie Valli is wailing in the background... ooooh ooooohh Rag Dolls....
folded 77 trips on a very drawie flush and straight board and opponent bet half the pot.

Old
Thu Feb 23, 2012, 11:34 AM
(#10)
Quote:
folded 77 trips on a very drawie flush and straight board and opponent bet half the pot.
Blind is 75/150, 6K stack, 323 of 370, late registration is now closed... 12:33 in the morning...

Old
Thu Feb 23, 2012, 11:40 AM
(#11)
Quote:
Blind is 75/150, 6K stack, 323 of 370, late registration is now closed... 12:33 in the morning...
Simon and Garfunkel just took over as Frankie take some rest... can't believe i have not won a significant pot yet... blind is now 100/200, 323 of 359.

Old
Thu Feb 23, 2012, 11:42 AM
(#12)
Quote:
Simon and Garfunkel just took over as Frankie take some rest... can't believe i have not won a significant pot yet... blind is now 100/200, 323 of 359.
Got Kings but two limpers fold when I raise x5... both limpers have 16K and 9K stacks.

Old
Thu Feb 23, 2012, 11:49 AM
(#13)
Quote:
Got Kings but two limpers fold when I raise x5... both limpers have 16K and 9K stacks.
Im way below the average stack of 15K... Finished 4th in this afternoons Premiere Skill League and moved up to to 200th position... FilthyHermit finished First, Gratz man!

raised 3x with 88, one player shove, stacking me. i folded.

got AK, raised 3x, missed the flop with two limpers... eventually folded. sigh

down to 4k chip stack...

Old
Thu Feb 23, 2012, 11:52 AM
(#14)
Quote:
Im way below the average stack of 15K... Finished 4th in this afternoons Premiere Skill League and moved up to to 200th position... FilthyHermit finished First, Gratz man!

raised 3x with 88, one player shove, stacking me. i folded.

got AK, raised 3x, missed the flop with two limpers... eventually folded. sigh

down to 4k chip stack...
Folded ATo with 3 raisers... flop is AT!!!

Old
Thu Feb 23, 2012, 11:57 AM
(#15)
Quote:
Folded ATo with 3 raisers... flop is AT!!!
blind is 125/250, 3.9K stack, 303 of 315, almost at the bottom of the pack... double sigh...
i guess im not aggressive, very passive...

Old
Thu Feb 23, 2012, 12:28 PM
(#16)
Quote:
blind is 125/250, 3.9K stack, 303 of 315, almost at the bottom of the pack... double sigh...
i guess im not aggressive, very passive...
AQo on the big blind with less than 15BB stack, Im shipping it no matter what:

guess I used up all my one-time this afternoon .

Old
Picking up the Pieces... - Sun Sep 02, 2012, 02:07 AM
(#17)
it's been a while. i can't remember why this blog suddenly stopped 6 months ago. probably have something to do with my primary dream, that of becoming a gardener/farmer. becoming a pro poker player is second. sad to say, at the moment, nothing is working the way i planned it. This is mainly due to lack of guts to execute what i have planned, the way i prioritize things, and setting aside good common sense. Not that i have not foreseen this coming. As a matter of fact I did see this quite clearly. I am an average person and I do it quite well. I knew that stepping out of my comfort zone will bring me hardship. I knew I will be walking on a tightrope. As if that is not enough challenge, I decided to do away with the safety nets. I have seen too many documentaries on Japanese craftsmen dedicating their whole life perfecting their chosen craft, doing what they love to do the most, and I thought I would do the same. There are only two outcome to this. I succeed or fail utterly. So, where am I right now? I am at the tip of a financial crisis with about 3 months worth of savings, or maybe less. I now have enough time to play poker or I can use that time finding a job.

OK, enough of the emo stuffs and let's get back to poker. Since my last post, I have used up 2 more of the tickets I have won. The $22 Saturday Countdown where I have literally begged the other player to use up a minute of their time bank so that my 3BB stack would survive the remaining 5 minutes of the tourney, and the players kindly obliged. And with the last hand of the tourney, I was given an AA. Should I fold it and be in the money or shove it and risk everything. I ended up shoving it but non called despite the huge stacks around me. Probably out of mercy. So I ended up last in the tourney and got at least $20. My first and only cash-in with the tickets I've won.

The $27 Saturday Eliminator which I played last night also did not bear any fruit. My hands were pretty much dry from start to finish. I won two small hands and nothing more. I got AKo once. The rest were thrash for a nitty tight player like me. Posted some hands on BoomPlayer. You can search "ggervacio" to find my posts. Here is the link with my AK:

So, I have only 2 remaining tickets left, the $33 Saturday Speedway and the $55 Saturday Omaha.

As for my poker career direction, I will have to keep on playing micro MTT particularly the 25 cents 90-player as it gives me the highest ROI. My bankroll has stopped climbing beyond $30 as I often experiment with other games. I really want to learn the 9-player game as it is much shorter and you don't have to sit for more than 3 hours just to reach in-the-money position. But that is where I lost most of my bankroll. And every time my bankroll falls at a critical level, it is the MTTs that help me bounce back. I will try to gradually ship to 90-players Turbo as it finished much faster than the Regular speed and also have more players. I tried a Cowboy Challenge once playing 90-player Turbo but I was negative ROI. I will try to approach the game more slowly, playing single table and leave the multi-tabling to the Regular speed MTT. It is unfortunate that Pokerstars do not provide a good stepping stone for the 90-players MTT. It is a big leap fro 25 cents to $2.50 buy-ins. My only choice is to go through with the Turbos format. But that presents other factors which means I have to change or adjust my playing style. If I can have it my way, I will have the following buy-in levels for the 90-player format:

$0.25
$0.50
$1.00 ~ 1.50
$2.00 ~ 2.50

All regular speed of course. Well, if things do not work out with the Turbos for me, my option is to implement a more aggressive bankroll management and take a stab, from time to time, at the $1.50 90-player Knock-out format or even the $2.50.

I guess this is enough post for the day. Sorry if it is a bit long. Hope you get something out of it. Thanks, and good luck at the tables.

Last edited by ggervacio; Sun Sep 02, 2012 at 02:35 AM..

Old
Mon Sep 03, 2012, 11:07 AM
(#18)
Since: Oct 2010
welcome back ggervacio, wish you all the best of luck in the tables to build your BR.

Old
Tue Sep 04, 2012, 11:58 PM
(#19)
Thank you very much Sir Pinoy_Hitman.

Old
Tue Oct 09, 2012, 08:22 AM
(#20)
Since: Oct 2010
Quote:
Thank you very much Sir Pinoy_Hitman.
Welcome M8

Keep grinding

Good Luck at the tables.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com