Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

As a general rule!

Old
As a general rule! - Sun Jan 15, 2012, 05:18 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2011

hello all.

I played an 18 seater $20 buy in NL sng on another site. I was a little out of my comfort zone for 2 reasons. Firstly I normally only play $7 18 seater's and secondly I rarely play on this site.

Very first hand I was UTG with KK. I raised to 100, a player 2 spots away snap re-raises me to 450. Table folds round to the button who waits about 10 seconds then shoves all in. As I said I was a little out of my comfort zone. I figured a decent re-raise then an all in, I prob should lay my KK here. I did.

The 450 raiser only took about 1 millionth of a split second to call the all in. To! my absolute horror, I see A2 off V A5 suited. I thought to myself OM"F"G.

I have 2 questions.

1) As a general rule, does the quality of player increase with the stakes?
2) Is it correct to lay KK angainst a re-raise then an all in shove?

This situation has happenned to me on PokerStars about 3 or 4 times. Each time I have called, I have usually run into AA. I find that Pokerstars in general has a much higher quality of player's even at lower stakes compared with other sites,.which is why I call Pokerstars home.

What are your thoughts on this.

Old
Sun Jan 15, 2012, 05:28 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Aus-Redda!

Early in a tourney, there will be the same types of players everywhere. Just because the buy-in is higher does not necessarily mean the players will be better... they're just spending more. I've even seen the same type of maniac play in $300 WSOP Circuit events, the largest buy-in event I've played in.

KK here is a tough laydown, yes, someone could have AA, but so many players would be in with any pair or Ax that I'm going to call here and see what happens.

The key to doing this is to be sure that the tourney fits into good bankroll management, so that you can afford to take the chance here.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 15, 2012, 07:05 PM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
I can't say about the players at different levels, although it is fair to assume that the overall standard will increase with the buy-in.

Ans 'as a general rule', you should be getting it in with Kings in this spot. When we have Kings will will run unto Aces approximately once in every 20 hands, the rest of the time we will be in front.

Old
thx Swaxwell - Mon Jan 16, 2012, 03:35 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2011
Hi mate and thx for your reply.

I guess your correct, I prob should have called.

I naturally assumed the higher the stakes the better the player. I was out of my comfort zone. I would have called the 450 no prob, I am comfortable playing flops, I was just a little confused at a re-raise then a shove, because it's usually a sign of extreem strength. I was definately confused to see A2off V A5 suited, that spun me out a little. I have learnt a lesson from this. Sometimes the cards must tell the player to take a risk.

I guess I should slug it out a little more. I personally feel that it is necessary to continually test one'self and step outside one's comfort zone. Each time I do this, I learn something new.

I appreciate your reply.
Thank you.

Incedently: they chopped my 100, flop 4Q8, turn 9 river 4.

Last edited by Aus-Redda; Mon Jan 16, 2012 at 04:14 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com