Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Brags, Beats and Variance /

For every nice hand...

Old
For every nice hand... - Mon Jan 16, 2012, 12:05 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2010
Here's one to offset my earlier Royal - Viewer discrection is advised!!

Pretty standard beat thest days!! Just can't figure these peeps out, why would anyone call here??

Last edited by joy7108; Mon Jan 16, 2012 at 12:08 AM..

Old
Thu Jan 19, 2012, 03:06 PM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2011
hope you dont mind me posting on your thread

preflop your bet size was weak a push would of being better as he had 4 times nearly your stack,and in posistion he was always going to call you for 2.5 blinds

flop-you checked allowed him to bluff,he then was pot committed in his eyes,with that flop it was a instant push in my view

Old
Thu Jan 19, 2012, 03:22 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hey all!

I actually like the preflop raise here. 2.5BB is the std raise at this level, so by making the raise this, the opp doesn't know if you have AA or 27o. I normally push at about 10BB and with almost 15, I'd just std raise.
Any BB that will call a std raise without a hand is leaking chips badly.

On the flop, although it most likely wouldn't have mattered with this opp, I would have shoved the flop. A lead value bet that would be the size of the pot is basically 1/2 the stack, so I'd shove first.
However, the opp did bluff and called for all the chips... which is the situation that any player would want.

The turn/river were really unlucky. Hang in there Joy, unfortunately, these things happen to everyone.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jan 19, 2012, 03:25 PM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdemace486 View Post
hope you dont mind me posting on your thread

preflop your bet size was weak a push would of being better as he had 4 times nearly your stack,and in posistion he was always going to call you for 2.5 blinds

flop-you checked allowed him to bluff,he then was pot committed in his eyes,with that flop it was a instant push in my view
Pre-flop if that is your standard raise it is fine, big stack will call light and you want action for when you hit the flop, as you do here. I don't like the check on the flop, I would c-bet every time with top pair. I don't want QJ/QK or DD to come along for free. When they bet yes I probably shove too.

In answer to your original question - because they are idiots...

You win some you lose some - some are beautiful - some are real ugly - you had one of each.

Good luck

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Old
Thu Jan 19, 2012, 03:48 PM
(#5)
Since: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hey all!

I actually like the preflop raise here. 2.5BB is the std raise at this level, so by making the raise this, the opp doesn't know if you have AA or 27o. I normally push at about 10BB and with almost 15, I'd just std raise.
Any BB that will call a std raise without a hand is leaking chips badly.

On the flop, although it most likely wouldn't have mattered with this opp, I would have shoved the flop. A lead value bet that would be the size of the pot is basically 1/2 the stack, so I'd shove first.
However, the opp did bluff and called for all the chips... which is the situation that any player would want.

The turn/river were really unlucky. Hang in there Joy, unfortunately, these things happen to everyone.

John (JWK24)
yes i agree 2.5 raise is a good play but do you want a big stack to see a flop in this posistion?
i understand it can get max value and the opp got really lucky,but a pre flop push may of stopped this from happening putting joy up to 16 blinds or so with the antes,
or if the opp had called preflop all in joy could of doubled up and been comfy,but well we sore the outcome.

Old
Thu Jan 19, 2012, 04:17 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdemace486 View Post
yes i agree 2.5 raise is a good play but do you want a big stack to see a flop in this posistion?
i understand it can get max value and the opp got really lucky,but a pre flop push may of stopped this from happening putting joy up to 16 blinds or so with the antes,
or if the opp had called preflop all in joy could of doubled up and been comfy,but well we sore the outcome.
Hey Hold'em!

A shove would normally only get called by a better hand, while raising to 2.5BB gives options if the flop misses AK. There still would be room to fold, then open-shove the next hand with a little more than 10BB. Due to this, I wouldn't mind building the pot, because I would shove/fold the flop.
When a player shoves on too many BB, the player value owns themselves, as only a made better hand will call. When I first started playing I did that way too often and learned it the hard way.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jan 19, 2012, 04:30 PM
(#7)
Since: Jul 2010
I wasn't really expecting an analysis, so I didn't include any reads. I had been watching this opp for quite a while, she would always bet to a check at least half a pot. Range was any suited, any face any ace any connected. I was confident I had her beat, but thought she might fold to my shove. I thought she would call the shove with anything once she raised, I had seen her do it before with the worst hand.

The big stack came mostly from a bunch of suckouts just like the one I posted, guess it was just her day. I'm not bothered by beats like this, they are inevitable. I just thought it was funny that she called with no pair and no real draw and won anyway with runner runner.

PS. 2.5BB is my standard open at this level, if I whiffed I would have folded.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com