Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

What just happened

Old
What just happened - Mon Jan 16, 2012, 02:20 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
So, very early, I'm in the BB with 4,3 offsuit. Flop a pair, turn two pair. Yay.

So on the river I'm not folding. The only thing that beats me pretty much is the 5,6. I raise, since there's plenty of hands that can call me: any overpair, A8. Turns out he did have the 5,6. Sigh...

Would it have been better to either raise the turn or call the river here? Looking back, the overbet on the river could be fishie, but I have 0 reads on this guy after 7 hands.

-----------------------------------------------
keeping track of my poker semi-career: ov3rsight.blog.com

Old
Mon Jan 16, 2012, 02:52 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi Oversight,

What was the buy in for this?

Here at the river you need to remember the SB just limped, so could have any 2 cards so trips or better 2 pair is deffenatly possible.

This early in the tourny do we really want to put our tourny at risk with bottom two pair?

Its tough but seems like a good lay down and make a note to see what else he does to get some reads.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jan 16, 2012, 04:29 PM
(#3)
Since: Dec 2011
Well, technically it wasn't a laydown but me stacking off because I didn't think.

looking back, the turn call is fine. On the river, I should have probably just called. And even after my bet - he raised, that shoulda set off some alarm bells.

Chalk one up for the learning curve

---------------------------------------------------
keeping track of my poker semi-career: ov3rsight.blog.com

Old
Mon Jan 16, 2012, 05:57 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
unlucky

i don't know what i will do at the riverbet call or raise just like you did

but gradeb had a point sb could have ATC and 56 is included

gradeb had a good point also too early in the tournament to be taking risk

yes, 2 pair is good but still not the best hand in this situation

so riverbet just call to be safe

Last edited by marvinsytan; Mon Jan 16, 2012 at 06:03 PM..

Old
Mon Jan 16, 2012, 06:41 PM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2010
imho,

there'sa possible pf raise but i'd probably play pf and flop the same,

turn i'd raise/call,

river is a call to me, just too many hands beat me.

Old
Tue Jan 17, 2012, 02:43 AM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Ov3rsight!

Tricky hand on the first level of a tourney, so players will still be playing ATC and there are going to be multiple ways to play the hand.

Preflop, 34o in the BB and see the flop for free.... exactly what a player wants.

The flop gives bottom pai on a board with a flush draw, straight draw or possible made straight, the SB checks and I would check here too then the button checks.

The turn brings 2 pair and here is where others could easily play this hand differently (remember, there's normaly more than 1 way to play a hand). If I were in this situaion, I'd raise the turn here to 3X the SB's bet or 120. If the opp shoves, while I could be bluffed, I'm mucking here, as connectors are well within a limpers range preflop and since it's the first level of a tourney, I would have a very playable stack left.
My style is to play more cautious at the beginning of a tourney and would hope to outplay the opps later in it. It also can set up a play later, where if I'm playing strong hands and an opp wants to shove over a bet of mine thinking they can bluff me, I can call them and double up.

The way it played out and went to the river, without a read on the opp, I'm going to go the conservative route again here and call. 2 pair does have showdown value and I would get to see the opp's cards and use that information later in the tourney. I may lose some value in this spot, but if I can get and use the information from seeing the opp's cards here later in the tourney, I can make up for it when the blinds are larger.
If I did raise, then I'd have made it a raise to 600 and definitely call a shove by the opp. 56 is within the opps range, but if I had to put them on one hand that would beat me, it would have been A5, as early in these tourneys players will stay with Ax all the time.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jan 17, 2012, 12:37 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hey everyone!

I was thinking about this hand as I was going to sleep last night. One thing that hasn't been brought up is how the player with 56s played the hand.
Yes, they hit the nut striaght on the flop, but there is a flush draw out there. The opp here, if it were me, should have been betting every street here. Not only to build a pot, but to protect against and price out a flush draw. With 2 others limping into a hand very early, an opp could easily have been playing any 2 suited cards and had the flush draw.
Allowing someone to possibly have a 36% draw (higher if combo draw) and not charge them a premium to draw at it is not a play that I'd recommend to anyone. By checking here with the 56s, if another club hits the board and I would lose the hand by checking the flop, it would be my own fault for letting the opp get there... not a bad beat.

Something to think about.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com