Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Old tricks die hard...

Old
Old tricks die hard... - Mon Jan 16, 2012, 05:22 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2011

One of the problems with micro stakes are limping with AA nad when you raise they go all in...
Guy came at this table and did limp and folded when raised but this time I raised him and he went all in and thought he had AA so I folded... I believe overplaying AK without reads all in is not good poker in cash games. In the past I lost big pots with it so I slowly learnt lol. What do you think?

Etienne

Old
Mon Jan 16, 2012, 05:29 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
though you had a good read on your opponent it still wasn't enough as he could have been overplaying a weaker hand like AQo

for the immediate future this is a good fold but watch him and take note on what he does shove with

this will tell you if you were right or not

Old
Mon Jan 16, 2012, 05:30 PM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2007
This guy buys in for 100BB, limps his cards, checks, you make a good raise and he pushes???

For me it is touch and go, he could have As, Ks, Qs, Js, 10s or maybe AK too or air.

I think the fold is fine but it is close without more player info IMO.

Cheers,

TC

Old
Mon Jan 16, 2012, 05:34 PM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2007
Great minds think alike I was also going put in AQ.

As an aside, I rail a lot of the higher stakes cash, not this level so much, but higher and the amount of people really bum hunting instead of playing is quite disturbing since the US players are no longer with us.

Just saying and cheers,

TC

Old
Mon Jan 16, 2012, 05:45 PM
(#5)
Since: Dec 2010
Looks like this was his first hand, and he didn,t wait to be in the BB to join in.
If thats the case I would snap call.
Even if I am thinking fold, I have trouble with my fingers hitting the call or raise button.

Old
Tue Jan 17, 2012, 02:00 AM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by etipac View Post

One of the problems with micro stakes are limping with AA nad when you raise they go all in...
Guy came at this table and did limp and folded when raised but this time I raised him and he went all in and thought he had AA so I folded... I believe overplaying AK without reads all in is not good poker in cash games. In the past I lost big pots with it so I slowly learnt lol. What do you think?

Etienne
Hello Etipac,

I think your fold is fine here...

Your overall investment in the pot when he jams is small, and your cost to continue is quite large. While you are crushing every un-paired hand he could jam on, you are slightly behind any paired cards he holds (except AA/KK that dominate you, and 22 without a club, that you are a tiny favovrite over). Is your 118+BB stack worth a race from slightly behind?

Probably not...

So without a good deal of info on this opp, info that we can only get from watching his patterns at the table, we really cannot effectively say if he will make this jam from the BB with enough hands we are way ahead of to off-set the few hands that are way ahead of us. The size of the cost to us if we are WRONG about there being enough of the hands we crush in his shove range here is plenty large enough to justify a fold.

Later on, after we have more info we may feel totally different about AKs vs. his shove, but for now a fold is fine.

Hope it helps.

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Last edited by JDean; Tue Jan 17, 2012 at 02:22 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com