Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Hyper aggresive button raise hero Aqo to iscolate weak lag ug call station.

Old
Tue Jan 17, 2012, 12:13 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
Preflop, I'm never a fan of raising with AQ unless you're short. Sheva makes a pretty standard raise, so if you think he's weak, I'd prefer a flat call and attempt to take it on the flop, or a raise to 600 or so. Even if the SB needs a big hand to call you, I'm not going to go allin without knowing what he's going to do. If the SB were to call my raise, I'd know he has a hand, and I can get away from the AQ if need be.

As it is, sheva calls with a weaker holding. And that's the end of that hand. His J has 3 outs for about a 1/3 shot of winning the pot.

Would this have played differently had you flatted? Doubtful. If he's willing to call it off with AJ, he's probably going to call with the nut flush draw too, and I doubt Iou'd be getting away from the top pair top kicker.

----------------------------------------------------------
keeping track of my poker semi-career: ov3rsight.blog.com

Old
Tue Jan 17, 2012, 04:34 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi JigJig,

OK, your read on being ahead of the UTG raiser is good to have. A 4x raise UTG is pretty strong on 20BBs and wouldn't be folding often (or ever). With this read I think we are best to isolate here, for this reason I would prefer raising than flatting. Raise sizing. Raising to 600 obviously does the job of commiting vs the raiser. If the BB came over the top without a real solid read I'd feel pretty sick about folding AQ for 1/4 of our stack. So for this reason I would go with a shove. I wouldn't worry too much about being in a race with the big stack since the shorter stack offers a good sweetener in the pot also. If you beat the big stack you'll likley scoop the whole pot and get paid off for the gamble.

Flatting behind, I'm not sure achieves anything really. Assuming the big stack folds. It gives us the opportunity to miss the flop and have the raiser bet at us which is -EV. Opportunity for us to hit the flop lead and have the raiser fold so we're losing value. The only reason I see is if you think you have a good edge on the big stack. You think he'll call light and you can outplay him. I don't think the EV gained here makes up for the EV we're losing against letting the UTG raiser off the hook.

I think a shove is good.

Good Job!
Andy

Quad Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com