Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

66 badly played? Have I over committed? Does player reads matter?

Old
Tue Jan 17, 2012, 12:18 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
Preflop: folded to me, we're leading out for 2.5x. We have a 19 BB stack, so that's near 10% already. Still, I like it.
The flop is not the best: an overcard which has a decent change of connecting with the villain, and a pair. Still, I wouldn't bank on him calling my raise with any 3 except another 3, or any other low to medium pair. There's also 2 hearts on board setting me up to get smacked by a flush.
It's a dangerous board, so I'd be tempted to lead out here too when checked to.
When the deuce hits, I'm done. He called my flop bet,so what can he have. The queen, which means I'm pretty much dead, the 3 meaning the same, and the two hearts, and I'm dead again. I don't think there's any outs left for me here unless he's on a stone cold bluff. I'm going to try to check it down, and muck if he bets.

-------------------------------------------
keeping track of my poker semi-career: ov3rsight.blog.com

Old
Tue Jan 17, 2012, 12:35 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Old
Tue Jan 17, 2012, 12:56 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
pre - imo if your going to act that your hand is strong you shouldn't be scared to do so. Your raise is a little bit small with one limper if 2.5BB is the standard raise you should raise 3.5BB 525. Just to show some strength. If you raise 3.5BB then c-bet 50% of the pot maybe your opp will believe you that you have a great hand.

flop - c-bet 600 on a 975 pot it's a great bet. Your opp called. Time to give up you already showed to your opp that you have a nice card and your opp is also showing that he got something by calling.

Think first before you act. Why is your opp is not folding to my bet?

You still have 12.95BB.It's better use it as a steal/resteal strategy and you might get lucky. Be Patient.

Old
Tue Jan 17, 2012, 04:58 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi I'mJigJig!

Preflop, UTG limps, then 66 raises. I would have raised more and done a standard raise if I was going to raise here. 2.5 or 3BB +1BB for each limper. With a limper already in, raising so small only accomplishes building a pot with a hand that can easily be beaten, as most opps will have 2 overcards, if not have 66 dominated.
I'd either std raise or limp behind here is a play that I could easily make a case for too, since with 66 I'd be setmining. If this is the final table of a sng, I'd limp behind and hope to hit a 6.

The flop brings an overcard and a pair, with a flush draw. When the first opp checks, I like the value bet here. Many times opps will have two high cards that missed the flop. When the opp behind calls, that would throw up a red flag to me, as they should have either hit the flop, have a pocket pair or a heart draw.

The turn completes the flush draw. The only hands in the opp's range that 66 is ahead of here are 44, 55 or air. Due to this, I'd check the turn and if the opp puts in any sizable value bet, I'm folding. Yes, it's good to be the first one to shove in order to put pressure on your opponent, but I want to be doing it when I'm ahead (either now or a % favorite in the hand due to multiple draws on the flop). 66 is behind almost all of the time here.

In the micro tourneys, there are so many calling stations and maniacs out there, that bluffing at a pot after a weaker preflop raise will almost always get called.

Due to these things, I'm check/folding the turn in this situation.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com