Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Depositor Freerolls

Old
Depositor Freerolls - Tue Jan 17, 2012, 01:39 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
Yes i deposited $10 yesterday.

I can only play one a day. 9pm Eastern

But i have a question or two?

Has anyone played one yet?
What is the field size?
Any advice for how to play?

Thanks in advance

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jan 19, 2012, 01:59 AM
(#2)
Since: Dec 2011
I played my first one today.
There were 4900 entrants and 9000 rebuys.

When the Add on period began, 1300 of the 1700 remaining players took the Add on.

The total prize pool was about $4000, and the top 1600 players were paid. I placed 1260 winning 0.90c, with a net profit of 0.60c as I (aswell as most) took the 0.30c add on.

I hope these stats help!

Old
Thu Jan 19, 2012, 02:02 AM
(#3)
My advice is Play it as if it were an open league tournament. Because people have the security of a 30c rebuy, there are a lot of all ins. However you have to play a little more loose than normal, as the field doesnt reduce as quickly because people who are knocked out often have another go. Also if you under 20k by the addon, I would take it, because almost everyone else will.

Good luck!

Old
Thu Jan 19, 2012, 10:43 AM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2011
gl to all of you

Old
Fri Jan 20, 2012, 05:34 PM
(#5)
Hi, i just tried the tour today, basic strategy are:

1) last min registration
2) 1 re-buy immediately
3) 1 add-on
4) Burn you clock

The 1st re-buy is important. since the re-buy period is still on, players will call loosely and we can double up more. I'm not sure for the add-on yet, but feel the needs of it. It might be better to add-on with less then 3200 chips. I might be wrong, might need improvement.

If you fold every hand, your should be able to get your 0.60c back but no profit. Maybe we can play even more tighter then the open skill. I think It a pretty risk free tournament. If we can get lucky with 1 hand we can get pretty deep.

Old
Fri Jan 20, 2012, 05:50 PM
(#6)
Since: Nov 2011
So although in theory they are freerolls (you can get in the money for no money by playing total bingo and/or being really card-blessed) in practice - for average variance- they are .60 value-added MDTs. Probably still worth a try, but best to know what you're in for, IMHO.

Old
Fri Jan 20, 2012, 10:11 PM
(#7)
it is tempting not to add-on and get the 0.15c+ profit but i strongly feel it is needed for deeper run which yield more profit

Last edited by Keldraco; Fri Jan 20, 2012 at 10:14 PM..

Old
Sat Jan 21, 2012, 12:08 AM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keldraco View Post
Hi, i just tried the tour today, basic strategy are:

1) last min registration
2) 1 re-buy immediately
3) 1 add-on
4) Burn you clock

This is what has been working for me (cashed 3/4).
I don't like to register late because the majority of the crazy play happens in the first 5-10 minutes of the tournament. If you play a monster your very likely to double, triple or quadruple up. I can certainly see the logic of rebuying early, but given all the maniacs there is still a very large chance you will get bad beat, a waste of 0.3c. Furthermore if you do make it that far, with 0.6c under then you have to get to the top 1000 to even see a profit, and since the money goes up so slowly you will probably have to be in the final 300 to make even 50c

For the same reason I don't like to burn the clock at this stage of the tournament, It's not like losing before rank 2000 is going to cost you anything like it does in the open league. I do however like to burn the clock as soon as I am in the money, because as soon as the add on period is over, all the people who rebought and added on at the last minute will very very quickly get blinded out, and you will soar through the money teirs.

Although I do agree that the Add on is quite necessary
best of luck

Old
Sat Jan 21, 2012, 01:30 PM
(#9)
So reg late or not to reg late that is the question

Thoughts

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 21, 2012, 02:42 PM
(#10)
Since: Jul 2010
yo Grade,

Just found this,

l'm playing this but as a bank roll test this month,

IMO it's a great value for the money, l would play like any re-buy game,

Set your amount you can spend on it and attack, remember just my opinion,

cheers man

Old
Sat Jan 21, 2012, 02:51 PM
(#11)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grade b View Post
So reg late or not to reg late that is the question

Thoughts

Grade b

There are positives and minuses to both.

std: you get the possibility to take chips of a fish early, but you also risk being taken out by one playing ATC

late: you miss more possibilites of bad beats... but... you also miss out on one of them giving you their stack.

If I was able to play in them (can't since in US), I'd be in there from the beginning and if I get a premium hand, doubling up thru one of them.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 21, 2012, 04:57 PM
(#12)
Thanks John,

Thats how i look at it too.

I would like to say for those who can play it is a great structure i have now played 5 of them. Cashed in 4. (the first structure was better but this one is still good)

I have played a very open league style and made it past top 300 yesterday, might have made it little further if i was dead tired and a little drunk.

I too rebuy in first one but not the others and in 4 have taken the add on, in all four we cashed about ten mins after the add on.

In the one i did not cash i played KK (didn't push all in opps) and lost.

Hopefully the americans can play before the Promotion ends.

Grade b

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 21, 2012, 05:04 PM
(#13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by effsea View Post
yo Grade,

Just found this,

l'm playing this but as a bank roll test this month,

IMO it's a great value for the money, l would play like any re-buy game,

Set your amount you can spend on it and attack, remember just my opinion,

cheers man

Ty Effsea,

of course i'm not great at rebuys thats why this caught my eye,(practice time) with the scale set the way it is one rebuy and one add one and a min cash will not cover it. Now i know we should not think in terms of min cash but......
If you do play like the league and find you get a deep run to the money in the month the added 1000 is going to mean good value if you can final table. I'm not as bad in these as open league and open up more after cashing.

Grade b

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jan 23, 2012, 04:21 PM
(#14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted user View Post
in a non re-bye format I love wait till 5 minutes before the 1 hour late reg. This in small buy in tournaments proves to show a 1/3rd to 2/3rd field reduction and as any stt or mtt goes this is hugely favorable while being in a position to play aggressive at a new table and accumulator chips. This also greatly benefits the play for 1st strategy if your only goal is going to be closing down on first chip leads stack size. You can not weight necessarily for hands so you must play opportunistically or exploitative. Never mind because they fold a lot. :P
This is some of the positive things with joining late but conversely we do have a down side

1. say 50 % of players are knocked out before we register then good we are closer to the money ....but We have a 1/2 size stack (compared to the average stack.)

2. What are the blinds compared to our stack less time to sit and wait for a monster.

3. Where are all the shove monkeys now. sure some are sitting on a big stack but 98% have already spewed there chips to some good player who we now have to try to out play.

4. how is our table playing the other 8 players have some idea who is a good steal candidate and who is solid we have some catching up to do.

now don't get me wrong, i'm not saying don't late reg....but if you do its good to know the downside. After all why are you reging late....cos if they are folding a lot anyway why not play from the start?

Grade b

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 29, 2012, 01:12 PM
(#15)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Anybody managed to go deep yet?

Here's my results so far:

It feels like nothing special, but then you look at the ROI and I think, "wow!" lolool!

I've kind of been using these freerolls as a way to experiment, like you guys - should I sign up early or late? Rebuy at the beginning? Rebuy if you go bust - and how many times? To add-on or not add-on? Min-cash or go deep?

It's been interesting in that I find myself questioning some of the expectations I have going into tourneys - especially when it comes to what I'm hoping to get out of them. Like I find myself getting frustrated that it seems so impossible to go deep in these. But then I look at the 86% ROI and feel like maybe winning a bunch of min-cashes, and hoping that one of those times, things'll go deeper might be the better way to go?

Hard to know ...

Game #9 on the graph, I used the 'Open League' strategy, signed up right at the end of registration, no rebuy, no add-on, and made like $0.84. The next 4 tourneys I went all-in pre-flop with top 10 hands and wound up busting out short of the money.

So I'm not sure where I'm at when it comes to tourneys ... maybe small-ball is generally the best way to go until you have the nuts? I don't know?

Work in progress ... just some random thoughts

Sam

Old
Sun Jan 29, 2012, 01:20 PM
(#16)
Since: Aug 2011
ChromeStar
I managed to make 1.60 playing two of these yesterday.

Not deep, but not shallow either !!! lol

Its tough, no add ons, no re-buys, i got up to about 14,000 chips and stalled and started going backwards.

Mad props to people who final table these, its tough.

I also employed the shove all in method with KK, AA or AK. It has yet to pay off once.

Cheers

Skiny

Old
Sun Jan 29, 2012, 01:47 PM
(#17)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinyButPhat View Post

Not deep, but not shallow either !!! lol

Skiny
LOL!!!

Old
Sun Jan 29, 2012, 02:56 PM
(#18)
Since: Dec 2010
I think KO DONKS went deep and got over $150

Old
Sun Jan 29, 2012, 02:59 PM
(#19)
BronzeStar
when did he change his name?

Old
Sun Jan 29, 2012, 08:17 PM
(#20)
BronzeStar
Wow, $150 ... nice!!

I remember KO posted some really helpful tips a while back ... I should see if I can find them ... they were really good

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com