Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Facing 4bet with JJ

Old
Facing 4bet with JJ - Wed Jan 18, 2012, 07:32 AM
(#1)
Since: May 2011

I had a hard time ranging this guy. I decided to fold even though I had a pretty good price to call, because I felt that he could have AQ+ or QQ+, in which case I would be flipping at best. I had no particular reads on him except for his stats. He had 0% fold to 3bet out of 2, but he just called those other times. Should I have done something differently?

Btw, I won this tournament.

Old
Wed Jan 18, 2012, 01:48 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
HI Feskprins!

JJ, a hand that almost always is in a sticky sitaution.

UTG min raises, then JJ 3-bets (which is exactly what I'd do in this situation). JJ plays much better against 1 player than 3, so I'd want to raise to try and thin the field some.

UTG then 4-bets. It looks like the opp is just hitting min-raise every time, but this is a very stong play by this opp. Due to this, I absolutely like your fold here and would do the exact same thing myself. The range that you give, AQ+ or QQ+.... I can see AQ+ flatting the 3-bet, but I think that the raise puts them more on QQ+, especially since this is the first 4-bet from the opp. If that range is correct, then JJ has two outs, so a fold is the correct play in my eyes.
If the opp had a much smaller stack than me, then I might try it, but not to a larger stack where my tourney life would be on the line.

Great fold and congrats on taking down the tourney.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jan 18, 2012, 02:21 PM
(#3)
Then at least I was on the right track. I posted this just to be sure a call was out of the question. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks!

Old
Wed Jan 18, 2012, 03:40 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
Great Job Sir

Old
Wed Jan 18, 2012, 03:59 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feskprins View Post
Then at least I was on the right track. I posted this just to be sure a call was out of the question. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks!
Hi Feskprins!

All ?'s are good questions. Anything that any player can learn from is a GOOD thing

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jan 18, 2012, 04:50 PM
(#6)
Since: Apr 2011
BronzeStar
yeah thats a good fold, limp u raise he re raise ??????????????????,i hate those buggers ,gl all the best

Old
Wed Jan 18, 2012, 10:04 PM
(#7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hi Feskprins!

All ?'s are good questions. Anything that any player can learn from is a GOOD thing

John (JWK24)
True! And you added some stuff to keep in mind if I end up in this situation again.

Thanks again everyone.

Last edited by Feskprins; Thu Jan 19, 2012 at 01:48 AM..

Old
Thu Jan 19, 2012, 01:23 AM
(#8)
Since: Dec 2011
This is something I desperately need to see. Most of the time I lose money is due to my refusal to get off my group one pairs

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com