Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Was this played well

Old
Was this played well - Wed Jan 18, 2012, 05:32 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011

Had 16 hands of data on the opponent and he was extremely weak passive and fishing around in many pots. His vpip was 100% with pfr 13% never ever limping and folding to a raise. His fold to cbet on the flop was 33% from 3 hands where he faced a cbet. Decided to raise to 10c preflop to extract extra value from the fact he hand never limped and folded to a raise. On the dry flop i made a just under 60% pot bet to take advantage of him and the other opponents weak calling tendencies, can get value from overcards and other pairs weaker than my jacks. On the turn i bet again for the same reasons and then set him in on the river. Was this a bad line to take? was i to aggressive and didn't range him for trips well enough, he was so weak passive verging on a station but i would have expected a raise at some point with the oppenent holding trips?

Old
Wed Jan 18, 2012, 11:43 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi darkmajik,

I think your line is fine here personally... stations only raise with monsters and sometimes the nuts or close to it... although in this spot K6 is the effective nuts (if he's ranging you), he's not ranging you and it must not be enough for him to raise so he calls along.

At any rate, given the limited but extreme info on the guy, I would suspect he will be calling you down here with many worse 1 pair hands, enough to make it profitable to take your line and extract max value. Sometimes they have it, doesn't mean you did anything wrong.

If we get more info down the road maybe we'll see a way to adjust that would be +EV in the long run, but given what we do know I'd be taking a similar line myself.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jan 19, 2012, 02:46 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
Hi darkmajik,

I think your line is fine here personally... stations only raise with monsters and sometimes the nuts or close to it... although in this spot K6 is the effective nuts (if he's ranging you), he's not ranging you and it must not be enough for him to raise so he calls along.

At any rate, given the limited but extreme info on the guy, I would suspect he will be calling you down here with many worse 1 pair hands, enough to make it profitable to take your line and extract max value. Sometimes they have it, doesn't mean you did anything wrong.

If we get more info down the road maybe we'll see a way to adjust that would be +EV in the long run, but given what we do know I'd be taking a similar line myself.

Dave
Thank you for your analysis Dave

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com