Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Is this a dumb play

Old
Is this a dumb play - Wed Jan 18, 2012, 06:59 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2011
In poker school premier league sitting 14th of 20 remaining from a field of 198, blinds 1250-2500, holding 77 in the cut off with 13500 chips, I chose to min raise to 5000 knowing that the big stack of 58000 was big blind and would raise me to all in on virtually any two cards. I lost heads up to big stack's A9 when a 9 hit.
Is this a dumb play, a really dumb play or a reasonable play?

Old
Wed Jan 18, 2012, 08:01 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi grampex,

77 is 2:1 versus a random hand so you were a bit unlucky to wind up in a coin flip situation. You expected, wanted and got action. Everything went your way except the final result. File this under Good Decision - Bad Result and move on to the next game.

I hope this helps.

Joe

Old
Wed Jan 18, 2012, 09:49 PM
(#3)
Yes it helps. Thank you for confirming my thoughts. All the best.

Old
Wed Jan 18, 2012, 10:02 PM
(#4)
Hi grampex,

20th place still some nice points in the league buddy. Good Luck.

Equity-wise I think we are better shoving here. We have 5.5 BBs which is small but still has some form of fold equity attached.

Anytime we get a fold we get 6000 odd chips in blinds and antes and 50% increase on our stack. Which is better equity than pretty much flipping with any 2 cards.

So personally I would just shove here.

Cheers
Andy

Quad Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jan 19, 2012, 12:27 PM
(#5)
Since: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahar010 View Post
Hi grampex,

20th place still some nice points in the league buddy. Good Luck.

Equity-wise I think we are better shoving here. We have 5.5 BBs which is small but still has some form of fold equity attached.

Anytime we get a fold we get 6000 odd chips in blinds and antes and 50% increase on our stack. Which is better equity than pretty much flipping with any 2 cards.

So personally I would just shove here.

Cheers
Andy
even less than that concidering antes. you're never foldin even if he just calls and there's overs on the flop right?, so i'm not doing anything but shoving on less than 10 bigs w/o QQ+ and then of course i'm NEVER folding no matter what anyway. (any hand you play w/ this stack size should be for all or nothing)

Last edited by mtnestegg; Thu Jan 19, 2012 at 12:33 PM..

Old
Thu Jan 19, 2012, 05:29 PM
(#6)
The reason I didn't shove was because the big stack had demonstrated over and over that he would shove or call a shove, but maybe he wouldn't have if table image came into his mind. Normally I shove in this situation, but the circumstances seemed different with the disparity in stacks and attitude of the big stack. The real question is should I have folded to gain 2 or 3 or more placings. I felt that I had to go for it to have a chance at win or FT or even 1/16th level, 12th in this case. Do you agree or find some faults in this reasoning.
And thanks for all the input.

Old
Thu Jan 19, 2012, 05:45 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi grampex!

In the points system, there isn't that big of a difference in gaining 2-3 places here. The larger point increases come later at the final table.
When I was playing the old skill league (when the US players were involved), once I got ITM, my next goal was to get to the top 3, because there isn't a large difference in points in-between.
If it was me playing the hand, I would have open-shoved with 77.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jan 19, 2012, 07:45 PM
(#8)
Since: Feb 2011
i understand raising small to induce a light shove, but with a hand like 77 i don' t really want to induce that shove.
why? because i would be elated if he just folded to me preflop and i picked up the blinds and antes when that short (about a 50% chip up with antes) that's huge.
50% w/o a fight (maybe) or a double up (that you have to win a showdown to accomplish) personally id take my best shot at the 50%. if you think he'll shove with 2 under cards to your 7s that's different, but do you think that's the case?
but it comes down to personal preference. i would at least give him a shot at folding pre. he might not but he's definitely not folding to the small raise. just my .02 fwiw GL out there

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com